5 wire throttle

Boyaffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2020
Have a 5 wire throttle but on my controller I have 6 wires any idea which wires go where thanks
Controller has red black green yellow brown white
Throttle has red black green blue yellow
Been told the blue matches up with brown and green matches up with white and the green on controller leave it out is that correct?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have a 5 wire throttle but on my controller I have 6 wires any idea which wires go where thanks
Controller has red black green yellow brown white
Throttle has red black green blue yellow
Where's the lever? It has a two position switch that needs three wires (one connector) and a battery display that needs two wires (other connector). That doesn’t leave anything for the a throttle that needs at least two more wires!

• :D
Reactions: danielrlee

Boyaffy

Aug 2, 2020
Where's the lever? It has a two position switch that needs three wires (one connector) and a battery display that needs two wires (other connector). That doesn’t leave anything for the a throttle that needs at least two more wires!
Lever?
There's 5 wires on throttle and 6 on controller

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Lever?
There's 5 wires on throttle and 6 on controller
A throttle doesn't work without a lever or something to twist. How do you operate that thing?

The 5 wires are red=battery voltage, black=ground, blue=input to switch, yellow=left output and green=right output. With the switch in the middle position you get no output.

Last edited:

Boyaffy

Aug 2, 2020
A throttle doesn't work without a lever or something to twist. How do you operate that thing?

The 5 wires are red=battery voltage, black=ground, blue=input to switch, yellow=left output and green=right output. With the switch in the middle position you get no output.
LOL yes I've ordered a meter instead of a throttle damn another wrong item ordered already got loads of wrong stuff turning up for the bike

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
LOL yes I've ordered a meter instead of a throttle damn another wrong item ordered already got loads of wrong stuff turning up for the bike
I meant a test meter so you can tell which wires to connect together. You may then be able to get the throttle in your last thread working.

Boyaffy

Aug 2, 2020
I meant a test meter so you can tell which wires to connect together. You may then be able to get the throttle in your last thread working.
Ended up ordering another one off amazon will be here in morning just want to ride my bike jst before the horrible weather returns but not getting anywhere. Right so ordered this one on the reviews it said the blue matches with brown and green matches white and the green on the controller stays disconnected
This is the 5 wire throttle I've ordered and my controller has 6 wires really hope this powers on my bike its just the throttle that came with the kit I've lost and must have ordered around 4 different throttlea but can't seem to get any working really hope this time it works as I give up not guna bother after this

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
on the reviews it said the blue matches with brown and green matches white and the green on the controller stays disconnected
That doesn't sound right at all. the throttle itself has three wires. On your old throttle they were red 5v, black 0v and white signal. they're the three wires that need to be connected. the other wires are for the switch and the battery display. The green wire on your old throttle is the one that carried battery voltage, so that has to be connected if you want to see the battery display, but be warned, if you connect the green wire to the wrong wire, you can do some serious damage. You don't need the battery display for the throttle to work.

Boyaffy

Aug 2, 2020
That doesn't sound right at all. the throttle itself has three wires. On your old throttle they were red 5v, black 0v and white signal. they're the three wires that need to be connected. the other wires are for the switch and the battery display. The green wire on your old throttle is the one that carried battery voltage, so that has to be connected if you want to see the battery display, but be warned, if you connect the green wire to the wrong wire, you can do some serious damage. You don't need the battery display for the throttle to work.
Hi managed to connect the throttle up to my old controller and it actually works but have same problem I had with the controller I had lcd connected up it cuts out so I think it's definitely something to do with the battery before I assumed I'm connecting 35amp controller and my battery is 30a bms so that's why power is cutting out but obviously now that I've managed to connect the 20amp controller and it's still cutting out must be the battery

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi managed to connect the throttle up to my old controller and it actually works but have same problem I had with the controller I had lcd connected up it cuts out so I think it's definitely something to do with the battery before I assumed I'm connecting 35amp controller and my battery is 30a bms so that's why power is cutting out but obviously now that I've managed to connect the 20amp controller and it's still cutting out must be the battery
Does the LCD go off when it cuts out?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes then only way to turn it back on is plugging in the battery charger then brings power back
Then the problem is between your battery and the controller. If you have to use the charger to get the battery going again, it's probably something inside the battery. You'll have to open it and measure the cell voltages.

That 35 amp controller won't have done the BMS any good. Let's hope that it's not that.

Boyaffy

Aug 2, 2020
Then the problem is between your battery and the controller. If you have to use the charger to get the battery going again, it's probably something inside the battery. You'll have to open it and measure the cell voltages.

That 35 amp controller won't have done the BMS any good. Let's hope that it's not that.
Got no voltmeter to measure just put it on charge as since I purchased it I have not charged it as I didn't use bike much as it kept cutting out so just put it on charge hoping the bms balances the cells properly and will try again on my old controller to see if proplem persists if it does then I have to travel to Manchester to get battery repaired from the guy I purchased it from but means paying for travel which I'm stuck at the moment oh well let's hope the charging solves the issue

Boyaffy

Aug 2, 2020
Got no voltmeter to measure just put it on charge as since I purchased it I have not charged it as I didn't use bike much as it kept cutting out so just put it on charge hoping the bms balances the cells properly and will try again on my old controller to see if proplem persists if it does then I have to travel to Manchester to get battery repaired from the guy I purchased it from but means paying for travel which I'm stuck at the moment oh well let's hope the charging solves the issue
Charged the battery and connected old controller with the new throttle I ordered and its running fine think 35amp controller pushed the battery out of balance and low think charging sorted it out happy bunny now lol
Only issue I'm having is the throttle I ordered is a 5 wire throttle and there is one wire spare on my controller green colour wire. Throttle has key but stays on so after I'm done riding the bike I have to disconnect the battery in order to turn it off I thought the key was switch to turn it on and off but obviously its not. Means having to take battery out of the bag and disconnect it and as I only have a normal screw in connector on it its not ideal disconnecting it and connecting over and over again as it let's of a spark each time you connect it so might end up nackering my battery is there anyway I can turn it off without disconnecting the battery

Attachments