50 Mile round trip commute, feasible or not?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Julie....what about a legal 800-1500 watt electric scooter,I have no specific recommendations but that is what the population of China get to work on,a good one will cruise at 40 mph,you can get them with full weather protection...no fitness advantages but at least you are out in the fresh air not stuck in a car.
I think the e-bike dealer in Swindon has good quality scooters.
regards
KudosDave

Reactions: TinKitten
D

Deleted member 4366

I think that the 50 miles will be a problem for an electric scooter. The ones that can do that distance cost a fortune.

There's a massive gap in what's allowed in the regulations. There must be thousands of people that want to do commutes of 30 to 50 miles, where a high-speed pedelec, would be a perfect solution. I'm not surprised that so many people ride illegal bikes. It's time the regulators brought themselves (and us) up to date.

Reactions: danielrlee and SRS

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I don't wish to be the prophet of doom, but I doubt very much that you will be able to do this 50 mile round trip every day. Strong winds, driving rain, heat, ice & snow will all need to be overcome, but the biggest challenge will be sitting in the saddle for at least 3 hours every day endlessly turning the pedals whilst you navigate a mind numbingly boring and familiar route to and from work. I have doubts that you will be able to maintain this and the bike will fall into disuse. I don't think that I would have the will to take on a 50 mile daily round trip.

For daily commuting by bicycle, a round trip of 20 miles is nicely comfortable, 30 miles is the maximum comfortable and 50 miles isn't going to happen. Sorry.
I understand what you are saying, and why you are saying it, you might be right,

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Thanks for the replies, I know it's not going to be easy cycling that distance, It's going to be quite a challenge to commute that far come rain and shine, and it might end up that I just cycle to work on the ok weather, but I'm not going to give up before I start, I have personal reasons for trying to make a success of this, and I'm going to give it 100%

I might have not been clear enough in my original post, but I'm not asking if *I* could cycle 50 miles a day, I was asking if an electric bike would be capable of such distances, if the battery life was sufficient, if the motor would be ok in the rain, and if the motor would be durable enough to cover the milage,

Thanks

Reactions: jackhandy

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I realise you just stated that you definitely want to cycle, but I also echo the practicality of a 125cc motorbike over a bicycle. There's an industry scheme called 'Get On' which can be found at www.get on.co.uk which gives you a free trial on a motorbike or moped without having to spend any money. After that you would need to factor in the cost of the CBT, protective gear and motorbike to get you riding on L Plates. I'm happy to offer any motorbike advice you might want.

As for ebiking, I only have the short experience of two bikes. My longest ride to date on my KTM eLycan P (which has the Panasonic hub drive) was 36 miles with 22% battery remaining. It was a very hilly route indeed and I didn't try and eek out the battery. So if it was flat I'm sure I could have got 50 miles out of it. So if you find a bike with a good enough battery then I'm sure it could go the distance. But I've no idea how many miles motors last for before they wear out and you would have to be made of really tough stuff to stick it out in the depths of winter.

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I should add that if it's the tests that put you off motorbiking, that you can ride on L Plates for 2 years having just done the CBT (compulsory bike training), which you can simply do again to continue. The CBT is not a test, you just continue training until you are considered safe to ride on the road by the instructors. The place I did mine gave 9 hours for the initial cost, then you paid for any additional hours needed to complete. So no need to do any scary tests. :)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I have personal reasons for trying to make a success of this, and I'm going to give it 100%

I might have not been clear enough in my original post, but I'm not asking if *I* could cycle 50 miles a day, I was asking if an electric bike would be capable of such distances, if the battery life was sufficient, if the motor would be ok in the rain, and if the motor would be durable enough to cover the milage,

Thanks
It sounds as if the OP wants to cycle, so the answers really should be to the questions she's asked.

Depending on the bike I would imagine the motor would be durable enough alright. Some people here have put large mileages on Kalkhoffs and the like commuting in all weathers. The battery on one of those would do the distance too.

Probably your best bet for an all year round legal commuter.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/my-daily-experiences-with-my-new-pedelec-bosch-middle-engine.16775/

This might be informative. Though it's a lot shorter than yours.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
i have a customer who commutes every day into London,20 miles each way,it is hard on the bike,hard on tyres,he maintains his bike well and so far has kept it up every day for 4 months,in rain and shine....we tried to talk him into a commuter style bike but he does it on a MTB style bike...I must say I admire his perseverence...he looks very weather beaten but says he enjoys it.
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I have 2 ebikes, both of which could do your 25 mile each way commute but I'd need to take 2 batteries or take my charger and fully charge the battery at work. I've travelled 45 miles on one of the bikes and enjoyed myself, I wasn't leaving at 04:00 and HAVING to be at work a couple of hours later.

The best advice I can give you is, try the commute on a day when you don't need to be at work. If you can't make it when it's not important, you won't even try when it is.

I like your style though and I wish you every success in it.

Second best advice I can give you: Whatever bike you get, buy a decent seat. 25 miles on a bad seat is murder. Sitting thinking all day about going home 25 miles on a bad seat would be torture. I've done nearly 20 miles on a seat only to dread the 20 mile return trip on the same seat. :)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Julie

I am very much in a minority here but.
You are aiming for 250 miles a week. That's serious cycling more than most club cyclists do.
A hub drive kit can supply the additional power to help you and last the distance.
A recumbent bicycle will help you with comfort and reduced energy requirements( it goes further or faster for the same effort)
A velocycle with electric assist costs a fortune but would keep you warm and dry while moving quickly.
Good luck it will hurt lots. My 20 miles a day on a bent hurts me some.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Hi Julie,
No need to spend £2500 on a bike to a do 50 mile round trip with any eZee bike and the optional 36v 21Ah battery.

eZee bikes start at £850 with a 36v 11Ah battery and the upgrade to 21Ah would add £270 to the cost.

You can see the full range of eZee bikes here http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-e-bikes--pedelecs.html
Thanks for the suggestion, they seem like really good value bikes, i'd the moment i'm thinking a bike with a motor on the pedals might be more suitable, do you have any bikes with a mid motor?

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
That is a heck of a distance; where are you going to? I know Gainsborough (grew up there) and I'm well aware that public transport is pretty hopeless, and I also wouldn't fancy cycling on the A roads there (A156, A159, A631) especially on a dark winter morning - do you have a route worked out?

An ebike can do that distance, but it'll be tight. If you get the wind against you both ways (it happens) that could tip you over the edge.

I know this isn't a motorbike forum, but I think you'd be better considering a 125cc bike - the initial outlay would be similar (reckon on £1500 for a very usable bike from a reputable manufacturer) but running costs are less than a car and the commute would be feasible (my brother used to do Morton to Newark on a 125, no problem, just a bit cold in the winter!). A 125 will happily cruise at 50 - 60mph and give you maybe 80mpg; if you go that way, I'd recommend training and taking a test so you can ditch the L-plates, but as a mature and experienced driver I would think you'd be OK.

EDIT: Do what I do, and mix cycling and motorcycling - you've already got the road bike, keep your fitness up and use it when the weather's good. You can't beat cycling in the countryside on a fresh morning!

I work in Newark, i have considered a scooter ( a vespa 125 would be nice), but i'm a bit worried about taking the tests CBT, 2 theory and one practical, I could ride a 50cc on my license but i'm not sure that would be up to doing all the miles

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Julie

I am very much in a minority here but.
You are aiming for 250 miles a week. That's serious cycling more than most club cyclists do.
A hub drive kit can supply the additional power to help you and last the distance.
A recumbent bicycle will help you with comfort and reduced energy requirements( it goes further or faster for the same effort)
A velocycle with electric assist costs a fortune but would keep you warm and dry while moving quickly.
Good luck it will hurt lots. My 20 miles a day on a bent hurts me some.
Its actually less than 200 miles a week on average, i work 4 days on 4 days off so i will be riding 200 miles every 8 weeks, i know what you mean though.

I'm doing 20 miles a day on my days off, i'm not finding it hurting other than saddle sore, i will upping it to 25 on my next days off, and maybe a trip to Lincoln and back (20 miles each way)

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Not even worth thinking about a 50 mile commute on an ebike.

A moped would do it, the OP weighs next to nothing and being 50, she probably has the groups on her licence to ride without L plates.

I'm far from sure about the licence part, but the OP can legally ride a moped on a full car licence.

A moped - or motorbike - opens up better weather protection/clothing and the ability to carry a chunky lock.
Sadly i used to be able to ride a 125 on my licence, but i can only ride a 50cc now without taking more tests

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I work in Newark, i have considered a scooter ( a vespa 125 would be nice), but i'm a bit worried about taking the tests CBT, 2 theory and one practical, I could ride a 50cc on my license but i'm not sure that would be up to doing all the miles
You could ride on L Plates with just the CBT if you don't have any motorways to do. No need to go the whole way and pass your test. I'm not a very coordinated person but I managed to get the hang of a motorbike and a vespa would be much easier. You can do the CBT on a moped if that's the only motorcycle you want to ride.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Julie....what about a legal 800-1500 watt electric scooter,I have no specific recommendations but that is what the population of China get to work on,a good one will cruise at 40 mph,you can get them with full weather protection...no fitness advantages but at least you are out in the fresh air not stuck in a car.
I think the e-bike dealer in Swindon has good quality scooters.
regards
KudosDave
Thanks that is something i will look into, i had not thought of that, if i could ride it on my full car license it would be an option

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
You could ride on L Plates with just the CBT if you don't have any motorways to do. No need to go the whole way and pass your test. I'm not a very coordinated person but I managed to get the hang of a motorbike and a vespa would be much easier. You can do the CBT on a moped if that's the only motorcycle you want to ride.
Yes i could do that but then i'd have to repeat the CBT every two years, but it is an option, I think the most sensible option would be to bite the bullet and take the tests for the 125, but i'm really worried about taking exams, its a miracle i every passed my car test

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I have 2 ebikes, both of which could do your 25 mile each way commute but I'd need to take 2 batteries or take my charger and fully charge the battery at work. I've travelled 45 miles on one of the bikes and enjoyed myself, I wasn't leaving at 04:00 and HAVING to be at work a couple of hours later.

The best advice I can give you is, try the commute on a day when you don't need to be at work. If you can't make it when it's not important, you won't even try when it is.

I like your style though and I wish you every success in it.

Second best advice I can give you: Whatever bike you get, buy a decent seat. 25 miles on a bad seat is murder. Sitting thinking all day about going home 25 miles on a bad seat would be torture. I've done nearly 20 miles on a seat only to dread the 20 mile return trip on the same seat. :)
Thanks, sadly charging at work is not an option, but i don't rule out taking a spare charged battery with me.

Good advice about the seats, first thing i do with a new bike is put my favourite seat on.

I will be doing some dummy runs in the next few weeks, riding my bike to work and back to get a feel for it, I will try it with my Mums electric bike too, I'm hoping her battery might last that distance if i have the motor on low, as she paid extra to have a bigger batter (16ah I think)

Reactions: TinKitten

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Yes i could do that but then i'd have to repeat the CBT every two years, but it is an option, I think the most sensible option would be to bite the bullet and take the tests for the 125, but i'm really worried about taking exams, its a miracle i every passed my car test
Yes, that's true you would have to. And I had a lot of nerves for my motorbike test. It seemed worse than when I did my car test many years ago.

Good luck with the cycling. A little determination will get you a long way. Let us know how you get on. :)

Reactions: Julie