700c conversion?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
[quote="Geoff_L, post: 2117

@falmouthtony: You say you carry an extra couple of 14Ah batteries around, so I have to ask what range you get out of the Ezee for 14Ah? FWIW, I'm heavier than you, and have been known to tow a trailer, so I'd expect less than you're getting - but it would be good to have an idea of how many batteries I need to buy!

At the moment, I'm wondering whether I'd be better off getting the Ezee kit without charger and battery (is this possible?) and going to BMS for those components.

Thanks again, Geoff[/quote]

Excuse me chipping in - I have the same setup as Tony - Yesterday I covered 28 miles on level 3, trying to establish range on my 14ah batteries:

Receiving assistance to about 16mph & having a very easy ride ( heartrate below 135 on hills) & plenty of climbing on the coast road. I got the same distance a while back, riding to & from Jamaica Inn, on Bodmin Moor - more climbing, if anything..

Like me, Tony has 1 in the rack & carries 1.

Personally, I'd use Ezee batteries with an Ezee kit.

D

Deleted member 4366

The battery above does come with a suitable automatic charger.

Don't get the SWXU. It's tiny, and doesn't have much torque.

I'm not sure that it makes sense to get the Ezee motor from Cyclezee and the battery elsewhere, because Cyclezee couldn't then offer a guarantee.The 350w BPM is more or less the same as the Ezee motor, so you might as well get the whole kit with the battery. This will mean that you can get a nice sine-wave controller with LCD. The main advantage of the Ezee kit is that everything is there, plug-and-play,and you get a warranty and support

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
[quote="Geoff_L, post: 2117

@falmouthtony: You say you carry an extra couple of 14Ah batteries around, so I have to ask what range you get out of the Ezee for 14Ah? FWIW, I'm heavier than you, and have been known to tow a trailer, so I'd expect less than you're getting - but it would be good to have an idea of how many batteries I need to buy!

At the moment, I'm wondering whether I'd be better off getting the Ezee kit without charger and battery (is this possible?) and going to BMS for those components.

Thanks again, Geoff
Excuse me chipping in - I have the same setup as Tony - Yesterday I covered 28 miles on level 3, trying to establish range on my 14ah batteries:

Receiving assistance to about 16mph & having a very easy ride ( heartrate below 135 on hills) & plenty of climbing on the coast road. I got the same distance a while back, riding to & from Jamaica Inn, on Bodmin Moor - more climbing, if anything..

Like me, Tony has 1 in the rack & carries 1.

Personally, I'd use Ezee batteries with an Ezee kit.[/quote]

Hi Geoff
I'd pretty well concur with JH on range. I usually stick on level 2, which to my mind gives maximum help on hills (higher levels just increase speed on the flattish stuff, which uses more battery and is not necessary for my needs) On level 2, I get around 32 miles. My rides are virtually all hills of one sort or another. I would expect a slight increase in range as the weather (hopefully) warms up. I would expect the red light to come on at around 25 miles, hence my purchase of a second 14AH battery:
a) to open up really long rides
b) to take away the worry of running flat before finishing my ride on borderline distance rides.
Only carry it with me if I expect to cover 30+ miles or expect to use higher levels (rare)
Hope this helps.

Geoff_L

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 16, 2014
Hi Jack, Tony,

Thanks for the range info. FWIW, the longest ride I envisage is about 20 miles in each direction. However, 20 miles round trip will be more usual - so I should be able to get away with one battery and some judicious economy measures on longer rides. At £400 a pop, that's good to know, especially considering I'll need two (one for me and one for my wife!)

Thanks again.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
40 miles is quite do-able on one battery, as long as you put in a reasonable effort & don't go up too many alps.

My problem is that the bike is such a blast to ride that I'm constantly tempted to up the assist & fly:
When the main battery went flat at 28 miles t'other day I put the fresh one on & "What the hell" bunged the assist on maximum & shot off.

The remaining 6 miles (all uphill) was Interesting & used about 6ah :p

Reactions: falmouthtony

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Jack, Tony,

Thanks for the range info. FWIW, the longest ride I envisage is about 20 miles in each direction. However, 20 miles round trip will be more usual - so I should be able to get away with one battery and some judicious economy measures on longer rides. At £400 a pop, that's good to know, especially considering I'll need two (one for me and one for my wife!)

Thanks again.
Ideal then - and occasionally you can leave the wife at home, steal her battery, and go for an ENORMOUS ride on your own!!!! :)

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Hi Geoff. I have a ezee (mk1) 700c front kit fitted. I have had it nearly two years and done over 5k. The hill climbing is great and 40miles no problem if you pedal as well. If you know the steps up to Whitby abbey in yorkshire you will know the hill at the side. The ezee pulled up that climb without a problem other than having to keep my weight forward! The battery slides into the rack. I can also recommend Johns aftersales, I had a problem with the controller and replaced under guarantee with no quibble. It is however the only kit I've ridden so can't compare against others but is streets ahead at hill climbing over the Panasonic crank drive giant I had some years ago.