700c hybrid suspension fork

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I love my 700c hybrid commuter but I hate the lack of a suspension fork.

Can I get any 700c suspension forks for less than 75 quid (disc compatible a must)?

My forks are cheapo alu and the worst component on my bike by a mile

I have a suss post BTW (suntour one) but my wrists ask for front suss too on the bad roads round me

Any experience or knowledge gratefully recived

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There are suspension stems as well. Probably not as good as good suspension forks, but may be simpler/cheaper to fit? (a suspension post is also not as good as 'real' rear suspension, but still really helps with bad roads as you have seen).

e.g. £21 for
(I've never tried it, it may be rubbish).

Or even a big fat tyre if your current forks will take it.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
There are suspension stems as well. Probably not as good as good suspension forks, but may be simpler/cheaper to fit? (a suspension post is also not as good as 'real' rear suspension, but still really helps with bad roads as you have seen).

e.g. £21 for
(I've never tried it, it may be rubbish).

Or even a big fat tyre if your current forks will take it.
That's something I haven't considered tbf

My gut says a fork would be better

I can't get bigger tyres on front currently either sadly

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh and I have never owned a full suspension! But my mtb with front suss and suntour does me fine. Even off road

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I fitted some Suntour Nex forks on a friends bike and they seem happy with them. They're nothing special, only a spring fork with preload adjustment, some have lockout. If you don't mind a lack of stickers, they can be had for under £50 or less.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:p

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I fitted some Suntour Nex forks on a friends bike and they seem happy with them. They're nothing special, only a spring fork with preload adjustment, some have lockout. If you don't mind a lack of stickers, they can be had for under £50 or less.
Perfect. Maybe not special but the forks that came my alfine 8 hybrid are properly awful..
Actually never seen anything so cheap and bad!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Mono-shock rock your boat? RST do those.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Suntoor nex aren't to bad, I have had them on two 700c bikes and still have a set on my Boardman.

Reactions: KirstinS

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I love my 700c hybrid commuter but I hate the lack of a suspension fork.

Can I get any 700c suspension forks for less than 75 quid (disc compatible a must)?

My forks are cheapo alu and the worst component on my bike by a mile

I have a suss post BTW (suntour one) but my wrists ask for front suss too on the bad roads round me

Any experience or knowledge gratefully recived
Found these this morning, when browsing for a frame. The German companies seem to be the place to look for frames. I wish I knew that a while ago.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I considered this on a hybrid a few years ago. I was told that the fork would alter the frames geometry, so the steering head angle would be wrong as the fork would lift the front of the frame. So the forks themselves would be at the wrong angle and not work well. Of course it could be the the mechanic was just trying to sell me a bike. Didn't work out for him - I bought a Carrera.

janz70

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 22, 2019
I know how you feel I changed from a trek with some cheapo suntours to a cannondale rigid lefty and my wrists never forgave me