Wisper 806 Torque

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
I joined the pedelecs community and ended up buying a Wisper 806 Torque on sale @ 40% off as an ex-demo bike.

My reasoning for the folding bike is moving jobs to Milton Keynes, I need a commuter bike. The home side of the journey is only 5 miles and the works side is about a mile, maybe less. I need to get it on the train for 2–3 days a week, as I can work from home the others. But the first week or so will be all in the office to get the swing of things.

Up until today, I've only put it through some mild runs, to prove to myself I can still cycle. Today I cycled to the station, and back using the planned route. Much of it along the canal. The overall elevation, only 90ft up/down and a 24-minute ride.

The canal has two challenging points, an underpass that you must duck quite low if you continue to cycle it, and a stepped bridge that on the way back I walked over. Nearly catapulted myself over the handle bars on the down slope on the way there, lesson learned.

The 806 ate up the ride easily. I had it on maximum assist all the time. I'm older, overweight and under fit - by a long way. Arrived at the station on schedule and not out of breath, but knowing I've done some exercise, for the first time in many years. I immediately turned around and cycled home. Arriving at the end a bit sweaty, again, not out of breath, but knowing I'll feel the burn a bit tomorrow.

I think I need to angle the seat a bit, and maybe raise the handle bars. I felt I was leaning too much on my palms.

15 mph along the empty canal is plenty speed for me. I caught up and passed a pedeleg easily. Most people I passed seemed polite and moved when I gave plenty of warning with the bell and slowed to pass.

On the road, the few roundabouts in the town I had to navigate seemed easier because of the confidence in the power to get the bike to accelerate from low speed. I'm glad of the canal, as I'd forgotten how rude town car drivers are. Not very forgiving at keeping space when turning. Or when there is a stopped bus that I'm negotiating and aren't keen on respecting my presence. I'm sure I'm not as impatient when driving?

The torque feature of the bike is superb. Can be a bit of a surprise when starting off, but is easily mastered. I found once you get the right pedal position for launch and step onto the bike, it propels you away quite nicely. I found myself pretty much riding the whole time in top (7th) gear - even from standstill. There seemed no advantage or necessity to change down. There were also a couple of parts of the journey where I easily went past the 15 mph assistance.

I think I am going to be able to arrive at work on Monday without being sweaty, and hoping to increase my level of fitness without blowing a gasket.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the report! I am delighted to read that you are enjoying the bike, and you were able to take advantage of our annual clearance of ex demos. I think we are now out of 806's but have other models available if anyone os interested.

All the best, David

Reactions: warlord0

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
A month into my new commute, and around 120 miles put on the 806.

I thought the cycling was going to be the hardest part of the commute, but turns out it's the trains that make life difficult :( A 25-minute journey to the station, should be followed by a ~30-minute train ride. Turns into anything from 30-minute to 3-hours waiting on trains.

The cycling is improving my fitness. Finding my breathing improving and the cycling getting easier with each week. I'm going to invest in a seat post with suspension, though, as I think the transfer of atoms means my backside is part bike now.

The 806 eats up the journey with ease, but there are a few issues, with design and some strange ticking I can't locate.

In general, the 806 is sturdy and well-built. Two things frustrate me. The first most annoying issue is the front light wiring. I have to constantly reconnect it. There must be a better design for this. I'm tempted to chop into the wiring and add-in a pigtail or springy wire section to allow the movement of the wire through the frame to stretch the pigtail rather than yank out the light connector. Over time, this is not going to last.

Next is the slinky that protects the wiring at the hinge. Every so often, I must feed a few spirals back into the frame, as a coil will become trapped in the hinge as I close the hinge.

As for the ticking sound, it's like something is stuck in the spokes. It only makes the noise when I've got weight on the bike, and I am cycling. On the stand spinning the wheels, it's silent. It's there when I'm pedalling or freewheeling, and for the life of me I can't figure out where it's coming from.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The source of a strange creaky ticky sort of noise on my Dahon mid-drive folder was hard to locate and annoying... eventually discovered it was emanating from the hinge mechanism, when pedal assist started up and flexed the frame - sorted out by a drop of 4 in 1 mineral oil.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Spoke ticking could be a tension issue as it only occurs under stress/duress when riding. Ping all the spokes with your finger nail to see if they ping nicely or go duh, sometimes the odd one or a few may have a differing ring note.

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
Spoke ticking could be a tension issue as it only occurs under stress/duress when riding. Ping all the spokes with your finger nail to see if they ping nicely or go duh, sometimes the odd one or a few may have a differing ring note.
I'm such a noob and did not know this was even a thing. After checking the rear spokes, many, many loose ones needed tightening. Good job, my brother's next door and has all the gear, whereas I just have no idea.

Thanks for the help. Will check it out to see if the ticking is gone, or at least lessened later.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A month into my new commute, and around 120 miles put on the 806.

I thought the cycling was going to be the hardest part of the commute, but turns out it's the trains that make life difficult :( A 25-minute journey to the station, should be followed by a ~30-minute train ride. Turns into anything from 30-minute to 3-hours waiting on trains.

The cycling is improving my fitness. Finding my breathing improving and the cycling getting easier with each week. I'm going to invest in a seat post with suspension, though, as I think the transfer of atoms means my backside is part bike now.

The 806 eats up the journey with ease, but there are a few issues, with design and some strange ticking I can't locate.

In general, the 806 is sturdy and well-built. Two things frustrate me. The first most annoying issue is the front light wiring. I have to constantly reconnect it. There must be a better design for this. I'm tempted to chop into the wiring and add-in a pigtail or springy wire section to allow the movement of the wire through the frame to stretch the pigtail rather than yank out the light connector. Over time, this is not going to last.

View attachment 57199

Next is the slinky that protects the wiring at the hinge. Every so often, I must feed a few spirals back into the frame, as a coil will become trapped in the hinge as I close the hinge.

View attachment 57198

As for the ticking sound, it's like something is stuck in the spokes. It only makes the noise when I've got weight on the bike, and I am cycling. On the stand spinning the wheels, it's silent. It's there when I'm pedalling or freewheeling, and for the life of me I can't figure out where it's coming from.
If it's not spokes, it's probably the disc brake. One time I had it, the caliper was very close to the outer circumference of the disc. When I didn't use the bike, the disc was cold and didn't touch, but as soon as I used the brake, the disc got warm and expanded so that it touched and made the ticking sound. I've also had the edge of the disc ticking on a brake pad, and ticking from a not flat disc. Those last two were from cable disc brakes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the spokes were that loose they compress often at or near the bottom of the rotation as that is where the pressure is applied , where the spokes cross each other they may click as they flex .
One has to make sure the wheel remains true when tightening spokes so check the side ways moement when the wheel is roataing.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm such a noob and did not know this was even a thing. After checking the rear spokes, many, many loose ones needed tightening. Good job, my brother's next door and has all the gear, whereas I just have no idea.

Thanks for the help. Will check it out to see if the ticking is gone, or at least lessened later.
Hope you have found the issue.

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
If the spokes were that loose they compress often at or near the bottom of the rotation as that is where the pressure is applied , where the spokes cross each other they may click as they flex .
One has to make sure the wheel remains true when tightening spokes so check the side ways moement when the wheel is roataing.
We did a gradual tighten and re-tighten as we worked around the wheel. Trying to ensure the rim stayed true by not overtightening one until all the loose ones had all had a turn to take out the slack. Best we could do without the kit to ensure it's true. A finger on the rim at the end suggested we aren't far out, if at all.

Will keep an eye/ear out and add some thread lock if it becomes a regular thng.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We did a gradual tighten and re-tighten as we worked around the wheel. Trying to ensure the rim stayed true by not overtightening one until all the loose ones had all had a turn to take out the slack. Best we could do without the kit to ensure it's true. A finger on the rim at the end suggested we aren't far out, if at all.

Will keep an eye/ear out and add some thread lock if it becomes a regular thng.
Your new bike arrived with loose spokes? That's poor.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not sure arrived as, or developed in the first 100 miles of use.
Is it normal for spokes to have loosened on the hub motored wheel after only 100 miles? I guess the hub motor enthusiasts would know. That doesn't happen on my mid-motor driven rear wheel.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I had to tighten the spokes on my Woosh XF07 front hub after about 4 years. I must admit I should have done it a bit earlier, but ....

p.s. that is on a tandem, so plenty of extra weight.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on how poorly the wheel is built in the first place and isn't a reflection on motor tpye but a reflection on poor quality control or a crappy wheel builder.
Most still stick with old hat thick 13g spokes which aren't very flexible in lacing or usage, I always opt for 14g S/S spokes and have no issues being an expert self taught wheel builder.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Great write up and advice.

Nice to hear that the OP has had such a successful transition to a new job and way of getting to work. If he is a 'big lad' as he suggests, that might account for the spokes going out of spec. Probably sorted now.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

View attachment 57199

View attachment 57198
Regarding the front light, there should be extra wire in the frame, it may just need pulling through. If not please drop me a line and we will help sort it out.

The "Slinky" is there to protect the cables being pinched, it should be long enough not to come out at either end. If you are anywhere near us we would be please to sort out both of these niggles for you.

All the best, David

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
Great write up and advice.

Nice to hear that the OP has had such a successful transition to a new job and way of getting to work. If he is a 'big lad' as he suggests, that might account for the spokes going out of spec. Probably sorted now.
Highly likely. I'm thinking weight and torque are the issue. I'm going to look into getting a service, as you may have gathered, I'm no bike expert. Motor mechanic, yes. Bikes, no :D

Reactions: Tony1951