8Fun 28"/700C Ebike Electric Bike Conversion Kit 36V 250W - 8F28F36B

andzajan

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and describe my experience installing it. I ordered my conversion kit before I found this forum. But going through several threads while I was waiting for delivery, was very useful.

I think there is no need to describe a 8Fun kit as there are already several threads about it and I will just jump directly to some details which I did not find in other thread and PROS/CONS related to this kit.

I have a nice commuter bike Globe (Specialized) Daily 01. I bought it about 1 year ago and was really satisfied with it, 3 gear internal hub is more or less service free and makes cleaning a bike really easy. Bike is equipped with full size metal mudguards and steel fork. And taking in account that I also normally carry a clothes to change at the work after my commute, I decided that electric bike could make my daily commute more enjoyable (8 miles one way with some hills and often wind).

My thoughts about the kit. I don't understand why controller box in not integrated within battery case? That would make much easier also connecting motor, throttle and all other sensors. So if you want to go for cleaner and perhaps more waterproof solution check out Oxydrive and Conv-e. I haven't seen those kits, but from photos and videos it seems that cable management is much better there. Can anyone comment on that? Both kits are 150 GBP more expensive, but perhaps worth that. I did not know that 8Fun has external controller before ordering.

PROS:

1. Price. It is more or less the cheapest conversion kit you can get. I paid 445.99 GBP for my.

CONS:

1. Wiring a controller to the components is the mess. My bike has a frame size L, and battery lead was to short to find optimal placement of controller box (see my comment above). Also motor power cable in my case was almost too short.

2. I really struggled to get all those wires into plastic box and I am not sure for how long those weak wire connectors will last.

3. Check if the rim with can fit your bike. Interior width of 700c wheel supplied is about 19-20 mm, so minimum width of the tyre is 700c x 28. There are quite a few hybrid bikes around with 700c x 25 or even smaller tyres. Wheel was supplied with 700c x 45 tyre.

4. Installation of pedelec sensor is quite messy as well. My bike has a sealed bottom bracket and mudguard from the crankset side. So I just used cable ties to fit a sensor to the frame.

5. Waterproofing. I doubt that battery and controller box are waterproof, I hope they are. :)

6. Cable quality, connector for battery already looks dodgy. I think I will have to check it ASAP.

In general, I did my first 8 miles ride today and it works. It's a fun to ride this bike as well, though it is quite heavy now. So let's see for how long it will last. At the end there are some photos of my setup.

Have a nice day!

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice bike. You did well to get all the connectors inside the box. If I have to use one of those boxes, I unsolder the hall and phase wires from the controller pcb, then solder the motor wires directly to it. You have a connector at the motor end, so you don't need them at the controller. The same for the battery wires. Then you only have connectors for the brakes, throttle, PAS and display.

andzajan

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2014
Thank you d8veh for your suggestions and compliments. For now I will leave it it as it is. I just ordered a waterproof sealant for a controller box and spiral cable binding wrap, to tidy up a cables.

I am quite happy with a bike for now. Without any extra effort I was able to catch a car driver, who overtook me leaving me 10 cm interval, at the next traffic light and tell him what I think about his driving skills. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Make sure that you leave an unsealed bit at the bottom of the controller's box so that water will drain out if it gets in.