8fun hub motor making clicking sound

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's probably just rust. My Q128 did that when I didn't use it for a long time (5 months). When I started using it again, it went away after about 50 miles - getting better all the time.

If you're worried, open it up. the problem should be obvious when you look inside. If it's getting worse, definitely open it.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
thanks vfr yes its definitely getting worse, the Axle looks bent or the flywheel there is a wobble is it easy to open it up

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks vfr yes its definitely getting worse, the Axle looks bent or the flywheel there is a wobble is it easy to open it up
Yes, you only have to remove all the nuts from the axle. There might be one inside the freehub. Show a picture pointing in if you're not sure. Then you undo the 6 screws and tap the axle through from the other side of where the screws are.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
Yes, you only have to remove all the nuts from the axle. There might be one inside the freehub. Show a picture pointing in if you're not sure. Then you undo the 6 screws and tap the axle through from the other side of where the screws are.
Hi ive got the wheel of and there is a lot of play on the cassette is this a easy fix

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi ive got the wheel of and there is a lot of play on the cassette is this a easy fix
Not necessarily. It sound like your free-hub is borked. Take the cassette off and see how the freehub detatches. there are various versions. the early ones just pull off after you've removed the axle nuts. if you can show me what you have, I might have a spare one.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You will have to remove the cassette with a cassette tool and take the side-plate off the motor like I described before. You need a cassette tool and a chainwhip to get the cassette retainer cap off. I don't know whether it's your photo, muck in ther or what, but i don't see a normal spline. check what spline you have before you get a tool. This is a normal one. make sure you get one with a hole big enough to clear the axle:

It might be easier to remove the sideplate with the cassette still attached, then remove the cassette afterwards because then the axle won't bother you.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
You will have to remove the cassette with a cassette tool and take the side-plate off the motor like I described before. You need a cassette tool and a chainwhip to get the cassette retainer cap off. I don't know whether it's your photo, muck in ther or what, but i don't see a normal spline. check what spline you have before you get a tool. This is a normal one. make sure you get one with a hole big enough to clear the axle:

It might be easier to remove the sideplate with the cassette still attached, then remove the cassette afterwards because then the axle won't bother you.
thanks for your on this ive got a frend coming over tomorrow with the right tool so all being will i will have it of and i will get back to you tomorrow with phto s

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
OK, it's a freewheel, not a cassette, which makes things a bit easier. I see it's 8 speed, which is a bit unusual. You should replace it with only a DNP freewheel that has an 11 tooth top gear, which will give much more comfortable pedalling at high speed. That's unless you have an extra large chainwheel. if you're unsure, count the teeth on your chainwheel and tell us how many.

I have some new such freewheels that my cat pissed on. Where the **** leaked through the plastic bags it caused surface rust because it's acidic, but they're functionally fine £15 inc postage if you want one.

PS It always amazes me that you guys can take pictures that show everything apart from vital info. The first picture shows the cable in exactly the position to cover the word DNP. I said that it didn't look like a cassette spline. Now that I know, it's obvious, but my eyes were looking at where the spline would be instead of further in where a DNP spline is.

• :D
Reactions: danielrlee

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
Hi thanks again yes that would be great £15 inc postage if you want one. could send me a invoice can i do through paypal thanks gary

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi thanks just paid is it worth greasing the gears in side the hub now ive got the wheel of some times when i pull away with the throttle i get a noise coming from hub
it won't do any harm. That gear sort of noise you get at high load and low rpm is the commution (controller pulses). You solve that with a sine-wave controller.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks vfr400 for your help well happy with the cassette its like new
It was new - direct from the factory. It just had the extra added ingredient (cat ****). I'm very pleased that it's sorted. Now I can concentrate on solving my own problems, like where to get a decent 4k G-sync monitor from, which is the most frustrating problem I've tried to solve in years.