8fun kit speed

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
I briefly had a 20" 8fun kit. it worked well, but the assistance speed seemed to top out at 14mph nearer 13mph with battery capacity down to half.

I'd be interested to know the top speed of the 26" and 700 wheel size kits from those that have them.

Thanks

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Legal speeds since they are legal kits. They are wound differently for different rpm.

In a 700c wheel it will be roughly 190rpm
26inch wheel about 200rpm

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Probably need to be more specific. On the 20" kit it was a great help on the hills, but on the flat I found it harder to get above the max assist speed of 13/14 mph than without the kit, which makes some sense given the extra weight.

If 26" / 700 kits are legal in the 15 + 10% 'wriggle room sense' ie 15 - 16.5mph it is more useful for my particular commute.

(I've had a 175 tongxin in a 26" wheel and used to find it quite easy (on the flat) to cruise at just above the max assist speed.)

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I have the 8fun kit with the motor fitted to a 700C rim.

The kit with the original controller moved along nicely on throttle to 15mph (depending on conditions). Throttle plus pedaling got me to 17/18 mph comfortably.

I changed the controller (got the more recent controller from 8fun with the narrower pedelec sensor and the small led dashboard) and the throttle speed dropped off noticeably (13/14mph) but the pedelec sensor seemed to have a bit more power. Unfortunately that controller burned out and I decided to try an ecrazyman controller.

When I finally managed to fit the ecrazyman controller (thanks to previous posts on this forum:) ) I noticed a marked increase in grunt. So much so that I have to be careful taking off - the power kicks in very shortly after starting to pedal. This is a bit scary in traffic. With the new controller I get to 18/19 mph comfortably (no throttle fitted so thats with easy enough pedaling). Apart from the increased speed there is a definite increase in power going up hills - I'd say maybe 2mph - its hard to be accurate.

The downside of the ecrazyman set up is that my battery is almost flat after each leg of my 15 mile commute to work. But I have a charger in work as well so each journey is started with a full charge.

Hopefully both the controller and battery will continue to work well together (I've had to replace the battery under warranty 4 times and from the above you can see I'm on my third controller). This current set up is a bit of fun though and I'd like to enjoy it for awhile:)

John

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks John. Sounds (as ever) as though it's a case of what compromise to choose. The motor can clearly give some extra oomph, but that would be at the cost of range and how hard the battery is worked.

3 controllers and 4 batteries sounds disappointing though.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
As I've posted before the E-crazyman controllers can be up to 5amps over the stated peak output. You can either reprogram them to a lower current or cut small 'nicks' in the shunt to lower the current draw.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Andy, I got the Sunlova 8FUN kit with the Panasonic battery and new sensor a while back. I get about 18mph on the flat with full throttle and no pedalling on knobbly 2" tyres on my full suspension MTB. I tested the range a while back too using full throttle (but with mild pedalling this time) and got to just under 30 miles before it ran out of juice.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
As I've posted before the E-crazyman controllers can be up to 5amps over the stated peak output. You can either reprogram them to a lower current or cut small 'nicks' in the shunt to lower the current draw.
I remember reading that before but at this stage I was just glad to get the bike working again for the winter months. Once I charge the battery before each leg of the journey the range is no problem. Despite a few hairy moments in traffic (especially on the first day when the break cut-off wasn't working!) I'm really enjoying the extra bit of grunt.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Andy, I got the Sunlova 8FUN kit with the Panasonic battery and new sensor a while back. I get about 18mph on the flat with full throttle and no pedalling on knobbly 2" tyres on my full suspension MTB. I tested the range a while back too using full throttle (but with mild pedalling this time) and got to just under 30 miles before it ran out of juice.
Thats impressive Caph especially on knobbles!