905e battery HELP

Mr unsure

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2008
HI
I have just rode my 905e home from work, a grand total of 3 miles.
Sometimes i pedal with assist, sometimes i just use the throttle, but as i got home i had no pedal assist or no throttle mode, and no light indicators on handlebars {IE power, full, empty} they are red, green, yellow.
Just been out to lock 905e away for the night turned the key on to check red & green lights on, raised back wheel of 905e & have throttle mode.
the battery was charged on monday, 905e not used tue, used today wed.

so if anyone can throw some light on what happened that would be great.

thanks in advance Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It might have been a safety cut-out operated Bob. These lithium batteries have them to prevent overheating and possible fire risk, and under high loadings the cells voltages can drop low and trigger the cut-out. Switching off and then on again resets the cut-out and lets the lights back on. However, after a cut-out the battery has to rest for a while for the cell chemistry to recover, and that's what may have happened in your case.

Do you have a hill on the last stretch to home where you had the throttle full on? That's the sort of thing that can trigger this, or even a long period of sustained full throttle. As lithium batteries age they become more prone to this, and it's good practice to use only the amount of throttle that's absolutely necessary and also to assist with pedalling, especially when the going gets tough.

Mr unsure

Jan 19, 2008
905e battery

Hi flecc thanks for the reply.

I have only had the 905e about 4weeks, i purchased from new milton, so iam a bit thrown by the battery doing this sort of thing with age, as i would have thought i would have had a new battery when i purchased the bike????????

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will be a new battery Bob, my remark about age just indicating how age can make things a bit worse. And of course it depends on whether my diagnosis is right, though it sounds that it is.

I'm afraid lithium battery cutouts under load have proved to be a bit troublesome on all the more powerful bikes, and it's best to follow what I've posted above on using the power a bit more sparingly. I've suffered from this a lot on my two eZee bikes, both with similarly powerful 36 volt motors to yours.

The battery manufacturers were caught on the hop a bit by this, not realising just how high the demands of our bike motors can be in some cases. Battery development is showing promise though, and when you eventually come to replacement time it won't be a problem any more and you will be able to use the power with abandon.

Keep an eye on it and let me know if there is any change or whether it doesn't appear to be a cutout as I think. I was replying to David Miall, the Wisper MD a few minutes ago on another matter, and mentioned your posting to him, so he is aware of the problem you experienced.

regards, flecc

Mr unsure

Jan 19, 2008
A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU Flecc i will let you know if it persists.
Cheers for the mention to wisper MD

Bob

Mr unsure

Jan 19, 2008
Hi
Today i rode bike home from work & it cut out twice, this was with pedal assist only on the hill to my house and the second time was on a 100 yd flat stretch to my front door still only on pedal assist.

Wisper say in the Ad it is dependable? nothing dependable in 3 cut outs on a 4week old bike.

So wisper do please contact me Bob

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Seems there is a problem!!

Hi Bob

Drop me a line at miall@aol.com and I will sort you out if you are not getting any Joy from New Milton which I find extremely surprising. Have you spoken to them about the problem?

If not our telephone number is;

01425 627 641

Doug or Phil would be only too pleased to help you.

I will give them a call now an let them know you will be in touch.

Thanks Flecc for your input (I haven't seen your email yet).

Best regards David

P.S. I have spoken to Doug and Phil at New Milton and they know nothing about your problems. The only technical call we have had in the last few days was someone asking if they could totally de-restrict the speed on their bike, was that you?

I would suggest that it is always better to make contact with your point of purchase prior to trying to find answers on the Pedelec forum. If the battery is faulty and you have not tampered with it, it is covered by our warrantee.

Last edited:

sjoroveren

May 12, 2008
I live in Italy and I bought a Wisper 905Se from German.
I bought it about 2 months ago, but used it only the last 2 weeks, I have been abroad for work.
I had the same problem with my 905 SE, but I have only pedal assist, no throttle or the 2 buttons red and green, because they were no assembled, and I received no instructions how to assemble them.
Anyway the pedal assist is enough for me, the only problem is that the 905Se tries to run at 25 Km/h anyway, so if there is a hill I must work a lot, or it "dies" after a short way.

Today the 905Se died at all, no led, no lights at all in the "dashboard", I was going on a mountain road, that I usually do with my normal (not electric ) bicycle and it stopped without notice.
I was quite disappointed, I checked the fuse and it was ok, after some times it started again but I could not come home, down the hill.... now I am trying to charge the battery, but anyway I though the e-bike should climb a hill that I usually climb with my city-bike.
The bike is new, there is warranty, I hope it is a defect of my bike and not a limit of the 905Se.

Sorry for my English, as I told I am from Italy, and I stopped with school a lot of years ago, i think I should need a few lessons again :(

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Battery

Good day Sjoroveren

There is absolutely no reason that your battery should have died so abruptly. It does sound as if you have a problem with the German wiring.

You should contact your supplier as soon as possible to find a solution, if they cannot or will not help please contact me directly and I will see what we can do to help.

david@wisperbike.com

Best regards David

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
wisper worries

i have been thinking of purchasing a wisper for a 14 mile each way ride to work; done at present on unassisted bike. the comments on battery problems make me unsure whether this is the bike for such regular usage-long steady gradients and wind, always wind!
what other bikes may be suitable?
any advice welcome
chess

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
My Daughter has a Wisper 905e for over a year know, a typical girl would have problems putting a chain on a sprocket if it came off, she dose a 15 mile round trip to collage 3 days a week and a 6 mile trip to work 3 days a week plus lots of other little trips going shopping seeing boy friend ect, in that time I have been called out twice, once when she had her bag on the handle bars resting on the brake lever cut cut-off switch (no power), and once for a flat tyre, the bike has proved to be extremely reliable for her, and money well spent it has saved a fortune in public transport and many hours in travelling time. One of the best purchases I have ever made .

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Batteries

i have been thinking of purchasing a wisper for a 14 mile each way ride to work; done at present on unassisted bike. the comments on battery problems make me unsure whether this is the bike for such regular usage-long steady gradients and wind, always wind!
any advice welcome
chess
Hi Chess

Welcome to the Forum.

These battery problems are few and far between and if you read the posts in full you will notice that we ALWAYS sort out any problem battery or otherwise.

Both the batteries referred to here are the old Lishen Lithium Ion style not the Advanced Electronics Lithium Polymer units that are now on our bikes.

Rest assured your 14 mile journey will be eaten up by a 905se.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wonderful!

I have been called out twice, once when she had her bag on the handle bars resting on the brake lever cut cut-off switch (no power) .

Thanks for that Andy, you have made my day, I thought it was just my daughter! :D

Best regards David

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
any advice welcome
chess
Hello Chess,

I've only had my 905SE for a couple of weeks, so I can't comment on long-term reliability, but I've done my 33 mile round trip to work (up and down hills all the way, the worst being a couple of short 15% gradients) 5 times now without a problem (each time on a single charge).

w.r.t. to Wisper themselves, I've found them to be very responsive and very helpful, both here on the forum, and also in direct contact by phone/email.

Based on my admittedly short experience I'd have no hesitation recommending a Wisper bike.

Regards,

Elephants

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
thanks

many thanks to wisper and elephantsgerald for their timely replies. still collecting info re electric bikes. having tried the wisper i am going to try the sparta range.
any further thoughts welcome
chess

sjoroveren

May 12, 2008
Unfortunately there is no official Wisper dealer in Italy, for what I know, and I bought a 905 SE from Germany, because I liked the bike, and because I didn t know anything about the old battery problems.
If l knew it of course I should not buy the bike from the German shop, that by the way is not a official dealer too, and that doesn t replay to my mails, until now at least.

On the contrary the Uk Wisper dealer that writes here replayed immediately to me, very professional, and offered help to me to solve the problems of the bike.
Now i am waiting to see if the German shop replays, or i will have to send the bike to England to repair, because the bike as it is now it is not usable cause the battery problems.

I wonder only one thing, as it should be quite annoying to send the all bike to England, if it should be enough to send only the old type battery, that should be the problem at the end.
I also wonder if it should be possible to have the instructions for assembling the throttle and the 2 buttons ( the red and the green on the left side, it would be nice to know to what use they are for, as I received nothing about that! ).
Maybe with the throttle it would be possible to limit the help the engine give on the hills, I suppose, so that it could prevent the battery overcharging that probably is the cause of the engine stop, with little more help from me, and with a little less speed, I don t think there is any e-bike that can climbs a hill at 25 Km/h, not a legal one at least.

The quality is good, I had only to change something, as the seat that was not good for a 100 kg adult, and the back light that was not visible with the side bags.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Battery

Hi again Sjoroveren

We will have main dealers signed up in Italy soon now, one in Rome and the other near to Turin these guys in turn have sub dealers so we should be covered in Italy by the Autumn.

The German bikes did not have battery problems, just wiring problems, if we send you a wiring diagram can you are someone local to you check it out?

If this does not work why not just send the battery back to us so we can test it and replace or repair necessary.

Best regards David

sjoroveren

May 12, 2008
Hi again

I am not sure that someone can check the wiring diagram, e-bike are not so popular here, and I did not buy from any dealer, so it can be difficult to find someone to do the job.
But we can try it, maybe I can find the way to fix it.

Anyway I must say the 905 is done with a good logic, today I perforated the back wheel, and I must change everything.
It was easy, very "clean", in many e-bikes it can be quite complicated.

I live in nord east Italy, Veneto, if you will have a dealer around here it would be perfect.... if not I hope to find the way to repair the 905, it is sure a very good bike, I can easy see the difference of quality with some other e-bikes, it is a pity for these wiring problems with the one I have.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wiring

Hi Sjoroveren

If you contact Dick Lai in Shanghai, dicklai@wisperbike.com he well send you the wiring diagram it is very easy to follow, Dick will also be able to help with any other technical details.

I don't want to pass the buck but but Dick has dealt with most of the problems with these bikes from Germany.

I have told Dick you will contact him and asked him to make you a priority.

Best regards David

Last edited:

sjoroveren

May 12, 2008
I received the mail, and I tried, but it did not work, I am not a mechanic, or here there is no one that can help me with e-bike....... the only yellow was probably the one that stops the engine when it brakes, but when I tried to put it again there was no help from the engine again, now the engine doesn t start at all.....
I think I will be obliged to send the 905se to someone that can work with it, it is not possible to repair the defect for someone that has no experience with e-bikes.
Now actually I don t have any e-bike, as the engine does not start at all...... and I have no idea why :confused: :confused: :confused: ,

I hope this lesson will help also the others, and no one will buy a bike from a NON official dealer on e-bay, I received no replay from the German seller, the bike had a defect and now I must solve it myself, probably by sending the bike to UK .:(

Advertisers