905SE

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
Hi,
I have a Wisper 905SE. I bought from the New Forest store, quite some years ago.
It still runs well and the original battery still holds a charge, mostly.
I love this bike, and would like to do some plug and play upgrades. It has the original off road button etc.
What’s the best options , new controller, better motor etc. I know there is another thread around this, something more granular would be good. Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not really sure you will improve on it that much without knowing what the original bike electronic specs are, afaik the hub motors have always been high torque models and if ths is so you could possibly upgrade the controller (more current ) with a nice lcd but not so sure you will make it much better.
How about some pics of the display and motor etc,etc.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
Thanks. I’ll take some photos of the motor. It has no display. It’s one of the first 905se’s from about 11 years ago. Still in great condition. Display would be a nice to have.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Take a pic of the motor cable connector as well.
You may well be able to just upgrade the controller and get a lcd combo for about £36, also buy a new trunk cable and brake levers with compatible cut outs if you fit a throttle. It should be legal as the bike is 2008/9 vintage and will be a bit like triggers broom if you keep the original l hub.
Does the hub still feel like if gives good grunt /power, if so you could go to 18 -22a with either a KT or Lishui upgrade with 5 levels of power if the battery is up to it. May be also some battery specs/details.

What is the off road button ?

You are doing exceptionally well if it is the original battery, if so not sure it will like more power though.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Griswald and Neath,

My advice would be to stay with the original parts if the bike's not misbehaving. If you need more information then a basic bike computer will give you speed, date, time etc. I certainly wouldn't upgrade the controller to a higher current.

Neath the "Off Road" button was our early attempts to get around the 15.5 speed limits, if you activate the button it will de-limit the bike. The idea was it was only to be used in areas where the public did not have access. It has since been specifically outlawed by name. That was in the good old days, the Wild West of electric bikes" not something we would do now!

All the best, David

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Argh a naughty button :cool: .

• :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I too would agree if the bike works ok then there is no need for upgrades and a simple bike computer might do the job.
Though contradicting the above I like the lcd as it gives me other info such as watts and voltage as well as other info, tbh the bike computers I use like cateye etc, I don't really like them and find them to fiddly to set up and use.