A big hello

Flycaster

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Hi all,

Stumbled across this website on my search for some help.

I am 6' 2" and weigh quite a bit (cough), I am 50 years old and need to get into biking again (got a motorbike but that ain't very healthy) for health reasons.

I weigh quite a bit!, so is there a bike that can handle an ex 20 stone rugby player??

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Take Care,

Flycaster

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all,

Stumbled across this website on my search for some help.

I am 6' 2" and weigh quite a bit (cough), I am 50 years old and need to get into biking again (got a motorbike but that ain't very healthy) for health reasons.

I weigh quite a bit!, so is there a bike that can handle an ex 20 stone rugby player??

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Take Care,

Flycaster
Welcome to the site ! I'm not a motorbike but there certainly a few here.

Ebiking is the best way ever to get back into it ! Good choice imho

I helped a couple of guys buy folding ebikes at work who where 120kg. If you are looking for a full size bike should be no worries at all, folders are small and it seems harder to find a strong frame. But yes, you ought to make weight a factor in your choices

So it would help everyone to know

Are thiking mostly road and light trails ? Where will you use the bike ?

What's your budget ?

How tall are you ?

What range would you like or need ?

Where, roughly, do you live?

Gives us some answers and I reckon we can help :)

Flycaster

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Hi Kirstin,

Thank you so much for your post.

I am after a bike that gives good range, don't need a folding bike, road only, budget around 3k max, as said in my previous post 6' 2". Live near Skipton.

Thank you again for getting back to me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the frame size is only 45cm it is way to small you want something 50cm+ as your legs will be bent all the time if the frame size is to small.

the cube with 53cm frame should fit you right 58cm is fkn massive

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the frame size is only 45cm it is way to small you want something 50cm+ as your legs will be bent all the time if the frame size is to small.

the cube with 53cm frame should fit you right 58cm is fkn massive
For the average 6ft2 riders, I fit a 400mm seat pin instead of 350mm seat pin.
It's the saddle height and the handlebars height that are important, not so much the frame size which varies with style.
The Big Bear has a long wheel base, a quill stem and X-riser handlebars, making the ride position much more upright and comfortable for someone who is tall.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol you dont make everything else bigger to fit a taller rider it is why you have different frame sizes in the first place :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
lol you dont make everything else bigger to fit a taller rider it is why you have different frame sizes in the first place :rolleyes:
the Big Bear is much more adjustable than an MTB because it has a quill stem.
When you weigh 20st, your tummy and back would appreciate a quill stem!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the Big Bear is much more adjustable than an MTB because it has a quill stem.
When you weigh 20st, your tummy and back would appreciate a quill stem!
so less waight on the front wheel is more comfortable with a extended stem that costs about 15-20 quid than the right frame size in the first place :rolleyes:

going at any speed will mean you will have no front grip going round corners and ur ass is going to be on the floor.:p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I Agree completely
Reach is equally important otherwise the bike will feel cramped especially for a taller rider
You can't have a one size fits all frame it's impossible

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reach is equally important otherwise the bike will feel cramped especially for a taller rider
You can't have a one size fits all frame it's impossible
Saddle height and handlebars height have a good range for adjusting.
the top tube characterises the reach, on the Big Bear, it's 57cm, a bit longer than the average (55cm).
That's why I think it will suit the OP.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
H
Hi Kirstin,

Thank you so much for your post.

I am after a bike that gives good range, don't need a folding bike, road only, budget around 3k max, as said in my previous post 6' 2". Live near Skipton.

Thank you again for getting back to me.
I think you really need to try a few bikes. Find a few dealers and go !!

Woosh do good value bikes in the lower /midddle price range. Excellent CS too but they are miles away from you

Ideally I'd say try a couple of bosch options and a woosh big bear and see what you like the feel of. If you can ot get to woosh the see if you can try a rear hub bike vs a Bosch crank drive. They do feel different