A confession....

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have something to confess.

The thing I've done is not illegal, but I must admit to feelings of shame and guilt.

In the past the thought of it turned my stomach, I couldn't understand why anyone would do it.

But, eventually ones urges will out.

The truth is I enjoyed it more than I expected and I'm not sure how long I can continue to live a lie.

In a roundabout way, I told my brother about it (a 'friend' did this...). He said it was disgusting.

I don't think my parents will understand. I may not tell them.

My wife has suspected for a while. She's noticed my longing stares as they go by.

Yes, today was the first time I...............

........used toe clips on a Mountain bike.

I'm worried for my future. Is it certain that I will progress to Carbon and Lycra?

Will I have to look up the words Peloton and Drafting on Wikipedia? Will I end up telling anyone that'll listen that a single fixed gear is enough?

What about drugs to make your muscles more compliant?

Will it make my bottom hurt?

I have sooooo many questions.....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex

The thing I've done is not illegal, but I must admit to feelings of shame and guilt.

In the past the thought of it turned my stomach, I couldn't understand why anyone would do it.

The truth is I enjoyed it more than I expected and I'm not sure how long I can continue to live a lie.

In a roundabout way, I told my brother about it (a 'friend' did this...). He said it was disgusting.

My wife has suspected for a while. She's noticed my longing stares as they go by.

I'm worried for my future. Is it certain that I will progress to Carbon and Lycra?

Will I have to look up the words Peloton and Drafting on Wikipedia? Will I end up telling anyone that'll listen that a single fixed gear is enough?

What a load of twallop! All this twaddle about Pedelecers v Pelontonistas!

I have in the past been one of the Lycra brigade, belonging to the Essex CTC D.A. ,( 1st div cup & saucers brigade )

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
What a load of twallop! All this twaddle about Pedelecers v Pelontonistas!

I have in the past been one of the Lycra brigade, belonging to the Essex CTC D.A. ,( 1st div cup & saucers regt.)
To me there is no difference whether you are riding ,78" gear fixed gear, ( with shaved legs, and spirit rubbed buttocks ) or a , a Touring cyclist on their equivalent of a motorhome ( toilet roll ,rain cape & beatific smile of contentment,don't ask) ,if you are on a cycle built from witchcraft or some old clunker, we are all of the genius homosapiens cyclista.

Some of us succumb to being electrified, some of us are enlightened to the power, some of us can whizz up Winnats pass like racing snakes on a 78" fixie BUT we are all cyclist.
Outraged of Tunbridge Wells.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

Welcome to the dark side mmuuuhahahah

Reactions: Alan Quay

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Toe clips?????
I hope you don't really mean toe clips.
Spd 's perhaps
No, I really mean toe clips.

Actually, my uncharacteristic behavior has already progressed somewhat to DIY powergrip straps, though not as far a cleats.

When I get a sec I'll show you how I made them for about £0.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I had a very short association with the toe clips that came with my boardman road bike. When I sold the bike I put them back on.....
Only used once..
As so many things bike, one man's poison... and all that.

The main reason I like being 'strapped in' is because I can put in effort on the up stroke.

Now, at first this sounds like a strange thing for a pedelec rider to say. More effort?

I'm trying to get a bit fitter, so I want a workout. Being able to pull up allows me to put in more effort, from a different muscle group. This enables me to burn more calories, even if my (quads/thighs/the ones about 300mm below my arsebone?) are tired.

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As so many things bike, one man's poison... and all that.

The main reason I like being 'strapped in' is because I can put in effort on the up stroke.

Now, at first this sounds like a strange thing for a pedelec rider to say. More effort?

I'm trying to get a bit fitter, so I want a workout. Being able to pull up allows me to put in more effort, from a different muscle group. This enables me to burn more calories, even if my (quads/thighs/the ones about 300mm below my arsebone?) are tired.

Which is exactly what I get from my spd's, but without the hassle of getting in or out of the straps.
Some are uncomfortable with this, especially on technical trails but now i am used to them i wouldn't ride any other way.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Am I the only one who had to look up spd's to see what they were ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Am I the only one who had to look up spd's

stupid peddles lol m8 has them on his mtb and most times ends up in a ditch with the bike haha.:)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Which is exactly what I get from my spd's, but without the hassle of getting in or out of the straps.
Some are uncomfortable with this, especially on technical trails but now i am used to them i wouldn't ride any other way.
Yes, but I don't want to wear special shoes, or spend more than 50p.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Aldo do the special shoes and there cheap. It makes a difference. I do do over 30mph and my feet don't slip.