A few pics of my first build.

NoSleep

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2021
Spent the last week or so trying to decide between a Woosh Faro OR something second hand & proper OR a rear hub kit

Eventually pulled the trigger on a Aikema 85SX kit from Woosh with the 17ah battery as I had a v cheap towpath tourer I’d built and barely used. (Frame is a Ridgeback Cerium with the most super stealth graphics I’ve ever seen on a bike)

super fast delivery from them and great instructions/info

What started out as a new bottom bracket and simple drop bar conversion ended up in a full 11 spd drivetrain conversion with a Shadow XT rear mech, wide range 11-42 rear cassette and Clark Clout hydraulic brakes, topped off with the ubiquitous Marathon Plus on the back

Install was a breeze, not even too much cable to deal with (though still have a little tidying to do) ...there’s more excess on the brakes if anything

Only issue was trying to get the hollow tech sensor ring to sit happily on the crank - the two part sensor just wanted to come apart and not sit square and didn’t really want to use glue
Solution was to make a sensor bracket to support the sensor ring (used a flouro-green Perspex kitchen splashback sample square :D cut to size with a hole saw )
Needed some zip tie ninja skill (head torch, tweezers and lots of swearing) to strap it all up to the crank spider, whilst keeping the granny ring clear but not getting zip tie between the sensor and granny ring so it would sit nicely against the inner ring bolts

Before
FEC6133A-3F30-49B3-9A1A-936E93CF8CC3.jpeg

After
3899079D-02BF-4C00-92DC-8523F5003958.jpeg

Todays 10 mile shakedown turned into a 20 miler :D.

[...]

8105FC29-14CA-4DCC-B8A1-672DCC88BA03.jpeg
16F7C652-1ACE-49B0-833D-9088B2CFB337.jpeg
714933BD-F372-46D7-BD2E-4764D5AF2CF2.jpeg

Last edited:

NoSleep

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2021
[cont]

Oh man, so much fun, and just what I wanted, something that rewards my own efforts.

Route was largely on a local national cycleway, towpath and small amounts of road. Even some fairly technical rutted greenway chucked in. Handled it all without breaking sweat (...though Suntour SP12 seat post is coming tomorrow )

That rear mech is immense, I barely adjusted it and it shifts like silk. The cassette range is incredible. I’ve actually got 2 cogs up front and was eyeing up a v cheap XTR side pull front but don’t think I’ll bother - don’t think I’ll ever need anything lower.

Most of my ride was in power lvl 3 a fair amount of 2 and some sporadic 4/5.

Actually thought my battery meter was broken, 15 miles in and still full!!! Moved down to 1/2 because I started to get range anxiety :D
Eventually flashed the top bar about 2 miles later, and back to full now its sat in hallway - which seems crazy!

anyway - thanks Woosh and all here for the info I’ve stolen whilst lurking and making my mind up