A hill to far!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
So it's important to snatch any chance of a little cycling during bad weather periods and the winter to avoid having to go through the painful process again.
Or put another way: "Winter miles equals summer smiles."

Reactions: D8ve and flecc

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Its been a while since a hill to far i'm still using my bike daily (weather permitting) my fitness is now much improved,my blood pressure dropped to about normal levels:), and whilst using my leccie bike mostly i have also started using my ordinary bike an 18 gear Hybrid once or twice a week on the less hilly routes so i'm happy that i am making some progress. Mike.
I always had a computer/speedo on my leccie bike, having recently fitted one to my ordinary bike i was shocked how much slower i am on the ordinary bike 30-40% slower on average than the pedelec made me appreciate how good these bikes are, and how much they help us old uns. However i shall carry on with ordinary bike as well to keep improving my fitness, and help with weight loss. Mike.

Reactions: rippedupno1

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Just done by best commute speed on manual bike of ave 26kph.
It's hard work but summer smiles are coming.
Leci wasn't a lot faster, even if easier.

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Just done by best commute speed on manual bike of ave 26kph.
It's hard work but summer smiles are coming.
Leci wasn't a lot faster, even if easier.
Well done to you, i envy your fitness,health, & strength, long may it continue. I will continue to ride daily to improve my health & fitness, atb, Mike.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Don't envy much, asthmatic arthritic, 50 + 100Kg+
Keep going though.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I was surprised by the high level of fitness of the cycling group I now ride with most weekends.

Most of them are 50 plus, some over 60, yet they can all chalk off a hilly 50 miler around County Durham without having to get off and push.

They ride mountain/hybrids, so speed isn't their strong point, but they still bowl along at 10-15mph, which is fast enough for me.

Reactions: D8ve

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Like many on here I got an e-bike to get fit in my older years (late 60's), my part of Derbyshire is like living in a large egg box non stop hills. I was advised to start gently, and gradually expand my mileage which I've done now up to 7-10 miles per day. A few days ago after four & half miles I decided it was time to turn back just as many hills on the return journey however their was a particularly large hill that I've not been up before so I went for it ( mistake ) about one third from the top I was knackered, but being a stubborn fool I kept going & made it to the top. The journey home was a nightmare, and I was so exhausted I felt really ill for some hours. So guys & gals know your limit if your on older returning cyclist like me, atb, Mike.
Its been a while since i tackled this hill, I reckon my fitness has improved a bit so i had another go at "The Hill", and was delighted to make it ok, sure it was still damn hard work, but a lot of daily cycling alternate days with my non-electric bike now has all helped with the result the pedelec got me up the hill with no ill effects, mike. :)