A lesson in excellent customer service ...

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi all

I just thought that I would share my experiences in an as unbiased way as I can, for members information.

I was after 2 bikes, one for me at 5'11", one for my wife at 4'11" (not many to chose from with both height capacities). And the critical thing was 2 interchangeable batteries, and chargers.

Thursday am: phoned an ebike distributor and was told that the 2 bikes I want to test, in one size there was only a demo left this year, with maybe 100-200 miles on the clock, and the other was down to the last 3.

Thursday pm: after checking with my wife we pre-lim booked the 2 bikes, if hers is ridable to her, a sale isnt impossible. So we Arranged to go and test ride the bikes on Friday afternoon (quick half day holiday booked).

Friday pm: Arrived at the ebike retailers and was given a full and in depth briefing on the bikes, no question was out of place, and I and my wife felt that all our questions were answered.

Test rode them for about 4-5 miles

My wife was very happy with her size (which means that it will get used), success.

Again we had numerous questions then (sorry if I gave you a bit of a grilling if you read this).

We had originally agreed that both bikes would be delivered by courier, 4-5 days later, but being cheeky I asked if it would be possible for us to take the demo version (wth new battery and charger) with us (in our people carrier). They said,"Sure come back in an hour as we have a delivery going out", no probs.

An hour later we returned, and the demo version looked brand new (and as a bonus all the gears and brakes are stretched in so no tweaking needed - nice), marvellous!! And they had decided to assemble and ready my bike too (they spotted the people carrier and thought ... why not).

So basically, from not expecting anything but basic customer service, we came home with the 2 bikes. A bike my 4'11" wife feels comfortable on, despite being a nervous and un-confident rider, and a bike that I an very happy with, both with interchangeable batteries and chargers, and after having what we can only describe as one of the best customer service experiences of my life in any arena, they simply couldn't have done more to assuage mine and my wifes fears about various issues about the bikes, and how they should be repaired, e,t,c,full stop.

Thank you

John

PS- my kids are now moaning as they cant get into the living room due to the bikes ....... youngsters today......what do they teach them??

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
That's an example of service which way exceeded your expectations, John. That's great, and I am very pleased that you got such a good result. Clearly the dealer, who you don't name but whose name I can infer from your new bike name in your tagline, understood what you wanted, realised it was possible for him to do something better than the basic service, and went about doing so with a certain amount of style. An excellent experience.

Others have had examples of similar excellent service events, and they have created extremely strong loyalty in those customers, evident from some postings on here.

I would argue that a truly excellent customer service organisation goes beyond this and does two things:
1. Puts processes in place to make consistently good service part of its normal routine; doing the basics like returning phone calls and emails, passing on messages internally, communicating delivery dates and so on.
2. Delivers great service to its customers not only when it is convenient for them to do so, but when it may not be.

I feel, from my own minor personal experience and what I've read here, that the organisation you dealt with does, from time to time, pull off these great service coups, but often falls down on the more mundane aspects of delivering consistently good service. It has to be said that is better than doing the latter without the former, but should still be appreciated for what it is, rather than what it isn't!

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I completely understand Frank (I think :rolleyes: ). I do listen to what others experiences are, but if you have an outstanding experience yourself, you have to throw that into the mix too for everyones benefit :)

I've always been someone who believes that deeds speak louder than words, so for me the quality of service I experience effects my pre-disposition for quite some time. I also have to add that having had my view 'coloured' by what others have posted, it made the experience all the more satisfying. :D

John

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I agree with that John. I also enjoyed reading of your experience, and liked the way that you described it, and think it is a good addition to common body of knowledge.

One thing that I note you did not do, but which I feel others who have received similarly good experiences have in the past done, is to believe, and even to assert, that their own exceptionally good experience means that others less good experiences are not valid.

I won't go on as I don't wish to be mean-spirited, but hope you and your wife enjoy your bikes!

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I think 50 Cycles should be named. why the need for cryptic references.
Nothing intentional, I just didn't want a barrage from 50C critics destroying the purpose of this thread which was to objectively recognize good customer service.

To Lloyd and the guys at 50C - Thanks very much, a pleasure doing business with you.

John