A load of questions re bosch classic and classic plus systems.Help please!

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
Recently bought a lovely gepida berig 2012/2013 and am thinking of purchasing the new ebike vision battery from Germany . I'm fairly sure its a classic motor rather than classic+ as
it has the small speedo/controller mounted to the left rather than centrally..Can anyone confirm how to tell the difference?
For anyone interested I've found the new battery 468wh available for 449 Euros + post from Germany 100 Euros cheaper than rrp. I'm aware the 1st batch had teething problems but if you Google translate the subject on German pedelec forum things seem to have been sorted.
out of interest are there any other battery options for the Bosch classic apart from OEM ? Also are classic and classic plus batteries interchangeable?
Finally ..I'm new to ebikes but a lifelong cyclist and fettler. On many bikes over the years I've worn out the bottom bracket and had to replace .What happens with the Bosch motor ? Is the motor finished when the equivalent bearings are worn or can something be done?
Many thanks
Bill in exeter

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Phil on here has one of these batteries http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351076463619?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Bosch will currently just replace the whole motor free of charge, a local bike shop helped me to get mine replaced.
The drive side bearing is a standard bearing and is replaceable, however the other bearing is an unusual size and currently impossible to source. Pulling the motor apart is a bit fiddly, but perfectly within the realm of a competent DIY'er.

Reactions: v.s.o.p.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
As I understand things Bosch are only replacing classic " + " motors rather than the classic (unless someone can confirm otherwise.) And you need to have complained about freewheeling trouble etc.
Does anyone know whether classic+ and classic batteries are cross compatible? ......would still like to know the difference between the 2 versions if anybody can clarify
Thanks

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have two Bosch bikes.

One with the original small display, and one with the central display and thumb controls.

I have three batteries, two that came with the bikes, and a factory spare bought later.

All three batteries work on both bikes.

The pattern batteries in the ebay link seem to work fine, but they are the smaller 8ah capacity.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I bought a cheap Akku battery from Trade Shop in Germany when the euro was really poor and it cost me £206..
It came well packaged and extremely quickly and have been using it for 6 months now so here is my update on its performance..

Yep mine is a Bosch Classic and I figured that at £200 I couldn't really argue..
I didn't get an actual warranty although having bought through eBay and their returns policy seemed adequate I figured it would be ok.

Comparing the two. Bosch 400 and Mickey Mouse 300 ...

Since purchasing I use the batteries alternately down to about 30% then swap and re charge so I always have a full battery available,
I use my bike in Turbo mode all the time for short dashes into town, on the Canal and the odd trip over the moors.
The 400 will give me a guaranteed 30 miles and the 300 about 25 miles.
They also have different characteristics in that the 300 seems to give more power, and gives maximum power right to the very end with the battery bar going up and down with the hills, whereas the 400 fades during the last segment with the battery bar showing a more gradual decline.
On one occasion the 300 was down to 4 segments after a few miles , but when down to 1 segment this lasted for 15 miles and on this test run I managed 35 till totally flat, by riding in tour to see how far it would go.
On the odd occasion I go for a longer ride (road/fairly flat) but still in Turbo I can get up to 30 miles on the 300, with 40+ on the 400, but as said elsewhere it depends on how you ride and where you go!!
By riding a lot more sensibly I can get 60 from the 400 and the best from the 300 has been 35
The first segment seems to go very quickly which worried me at first but I have now decided its just different to the 400.
To sum up...
I wouldn't expect this battery to perform like the original, but it is a lesser capacity and it does what I hoped it would.
Would I buy another? At the price I paid.. Definitely Yes..

Hope this helps

Reactions: v.s.o.p. and Artstu

v.s.o.p.

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2013
All classic group is DIY friendly - bateries are easily upgraded, motor parts are interchangeable, i just love it. With recent LG and Sanyo cells 3500ma you can keep your bike up to date and along the more expensive recent models.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I for one don't understand the cell thing. . My cheap copy battery works well but for a shorter time than the original. .. how easy would it be upgrade this battery? And is it actually worth doing?

Last edited:

v.s.o.p.

Aug 25, 2013
well the most important thing is to get newest cells for reasonable price - there are guys on Endless Sphere that sell you the cells from Bosh factory that didn't weld properly and were thrown out. Given the numbers of thrown out brand new cells - no wonder new 500 wh battery costs 700 euro.

v.s.o.p.

Aug 25, 2013
once you have the cells its a matter of carefully removal of bms, exchange of cells, spot welding and getting battery back together. more or less one hour and you jump from 2200ma or 2600 ma to 3500ma per cell. the difference is astonishing in distance covered.
I have the original powerpack 400 and daily 18 km to the office - traveling on sport mode i take more than half of the battery (3 diode indicator) . with recelled Chinese replacement i loose only 1 diode at the same distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
once you have the cells its a matter of carefully removal of bms, exchange of cells, spot welding and getting battery back together. more or less one hour and you jump from 2200ma or 2600 ma to 3500ma per cell. the difference is astonishing in distance covered.
I have the original powerpack 400 and daily 18 km to the office - traveling on sport mode i take more than half of the battery (3 diode indicator) . with recelled Chinese replacement i loose only 1 diode at the same distance.
Unfortunately I don't have either the tools or the skills to perform such a task
. .[emoji26]

v.s.o.p.

Aug 25, 2013
Unfortunately I don't have either the tools or the skills to perform such a task
. .[emoji26]
but i have send me your Chinese battery ill exchange the cells and send it back to you and charge you only for the new cells (100 - 120 Euro)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
but i have send me your Chinese battery ill exchange the cells and send it back to you and charge you only for the new cells (100 - 120 Euro)
Many thanks for your kind offer, but shipping batteries out from the UK is quite expensive. The cheapest option with RM is £33.48, or £51 with tracking, and thats assuming there is no issue with transporting a battery..
But thanks anyway..