A question on torque

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
It will be more than up to the Tarka Trail and ropey Devon lanes, and even light off roading if you happen to come across a likely looking bridleway.

I know a few push bikers who commute on slick tyred MTBs because they offer comfort and can handle potholes and kerbs.

Such a bike can be harder to pedal, but that's no so important on an ebike.

The extra resistance will curb your battery range by a few miles, but I doubt you will be up against that, at least for the first few months.

If you really get on well with the Saracen, you might be surprised how your desire for distance develops.
Had thought about the distance aspect but figured that as I get fitter I'll rely less on the high and normal modes and use the eco mode or no assitance. Also thought that if 2/3 years down the line I decide to change bike then battery life will have improved.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Had thought about the distance aspect but figured that as I get fitter I'll rely less on the high and normal modes and use the eco mode or no assitance. Also thought that if 2/3 years down the line I decide to change bike then battery life will have improved.
Battery life will probably improve, but only incrementally.

The Bosch system had 400wh batteries in 2010, six years later there are 500wh batteries, but at the expense of an increase in mass.

One benefit of the Steps system is relatively inexpensive batteries.

Practically, carrying a spare will be the only way to increase range for some years yet.

D

Deleted member 4366

Not that I wish to go on about forks, but the comfier ride on the Saracen will be mostly down to the podgy mountain bike tyres.
You know it has Suntour Axon XC air forks, which I would've though might have something to do with it?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You know it has Suntour Axon XC air forks, which I would've though might have something to do with it?
Could be, but my experience of budget suspension forks is they make very little difference to the ride on road and cycle paths, whereas tyre choice and pressure does.

I've ridden my Rose with the fork locked - it makes very little difference to the ride - although even 'locked' there is still a cm or two of spring in the fork for safety reasons.

My current pushbike has a cromo rigid fork - it's just as comfortable as the Rose.

Tyres will have an impact there, the Rose has harsh Marathon Pluses, the Kendas on the pushbike are more forgiving.

D

Deleted member 4366

Could be, but my experience of budget suspension forks is they make very little difference to the ride on road and cycle paths, whereas tyre choice and pressure does.
They're not budget forks. They're proper air suspension £160.

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
They're not budget forks. They're proper air suspension £160.
Similar on my Rose - Suntour, air, remote lock out - and you know what I think of those.

The Rockshox Gold on my mountain bike were a bit better.

No idea of the retail cost, there are lots of models, but it was probably a bit more.

The simpler point remains, a suspension fork does next to naff all on a road or cycle path.

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
Similar on my Rose - Suntour, air, remote lock out - and you know what I think of those.

The Rockshox Gold on my mountain bike were a bit better.

No idea of the retail cost, there are lots of models, but it was probably a bit more.

The simpler point remains, a suspension fork does next to naff all on a road or cycle path.
I have nowhere near the experience of you guys hence me joining to ask questions but I noticed a difference on the local cycle trail when I tried the 2 different bikes. The Cube with the rigid fork/suspension felt more uncomfortable to ride than both the Cube and Saracen which had suspension. Like I say I'm no expert but based on very brief rides I preffered the suspension option. Saying that the cycle trail round here is quite uneven and bumpy places compared to some pathways I've expereinced in the past.

• Agree

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
On my Delite the rear suspension works much more than the front.

I would miss that if it seized.

• Informative

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have nowhere near the experience of you guys hence me joining to ask questions but I noticed a difference on the local cycle trail when I tried the 2 different bikes. The Cube with the rigid fork/suspension felt more uncomfortable to ride than both the Cube and Saracen which had suspension. Like I say I'm no expert but based on very brief rides I preffered the suspension option. Saying that the cycle trail round here is quite uneven and bumpy places compared to some pathways I've expereinced in the past.
The game's all about opinions, as they say.

Lots of variables, too - tyres/pressures/wheels/front end geometry all come into it.

Had I tested the same bikes I might have reached the same conclusion as you, or a I might not.

Main thing is you've tried a few bikes and selected the most suitable.

• Agree
Reactions: McCol and LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Hmmmm!. I don't agree with that. The ordinary cheapo Suntour forks can give a bit of a choppy ride, but as soon as you move up to air suspension, you get a lovely comfy ride. I've had various air forks in all my bikes for several years now. I can remember trying the first Haibike with Bosch motor back in 2011. I was so impressed by the lovely suspension, in particularly the Rockshox Reba forks, that i went straight home and bought a pair. Here's my comment in my thread about the show:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/presteigne-show.8496/

Are you sure that you have your damping set correctly? Over-damping would cause an uncomfortable ride, like rigid forks.

• Informative

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Damping/pressure has been set a couple of times over the years by my local bike shop.

The black ring on the stanchions indicates most of the travel is being used, which is about right.

I'm not saying the sus fork is uncomfortable, but on road and cycle path the natural spring in a reasonable quality Cromo rigid fork gives just as much comfort.

Thus the extra weight and complication of the sus fork is just that - extra weight and extra complication - for no extra benefit.

I'm told the material of a rigid fork makes a difference, Cromo is known to be more comfortable than ordinary high carbon steel, which in turn is more comfortable than aluminium.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not how far the forks travel that matters, it's the damping. You should be able to push the forks down fairly easily, and they should spring back in one movement (not bounce). There's no way in the world that cromo rigid forks can absorb bumps like air forks. I wouldn't trust a bike shop to adjust my forks. It's a ten-second job anyway. If you're not getting comfort as they are, turn the damping down to see the improvement. Keep reducing it until the forks bounce, up and down after you push them down, then turn it up just as far as you need to to stop the bouncing. That'll make their action much lighter.

Suspension forks are a compromise, you're trading weight and efficiency for comfort and control. What characteristics you want is up to you. For a touring bike, I prefer suspension for comfort, but on my road bikes i obviously prefer rigid forks for efficiency and minimum air resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: chris_n and trex

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Damping/pressure has been set a couple of times over the years by my local bike shop.

The black ring on the stanchions indicates most of the travel is being used, which is about right.

I'm not saying the sus fork is uncomfortable, but on road and cycle path the natural spring in a reasonable quality Cromo rigid fork gives just as much comfort.

Thus the extra weight and complication of the sus fork is just that - extra weight and extra complication - for no extra benefit.

I'm told the material of a rigid fork makes a difference, Cromo is known to be more comfortable than ordinary high carbon steel, which in turn is more comfortable than aluminium.
Totally agree on the road suspension forks make little difference but cycle tracks are an unknown variable, one man's rough track may be a billiard table to another. I do know there is a huge difference in forks including air forks, the Suntours on my Haibike are not in the same league as the Reba Race forks on my 8 year old mtb. They are both 100m travel but the Reba forks have separate dual air chambers and feel much smoother.

Reactions: trex

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My son and I both have hard tail MTB,mine has rochshoc XC air while son has level coil shocks. They are world apart in performance, one area XC shine in is absorbing small bumps eg rough dirt roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris_n
D

Deleted member 4366

I'll say again, the damping adjustment is very important. If anybody gets a choppy ride with air forks, you're almost certainly running over-damped.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dont you mean the rebound setting at the bottom of the fork, if it has one.

if its set to low then you will have the fork have a slow rebound and not go up as fast as it should for your waight.

you also need the right psi in it as well for your waight same for the rear if you have one.

if the rebound is to high and you do a jump it can throw you over the handle bars so its best getting it right.

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
If the rebound damping is set too high the fork will pump up and reduce its travel over a series of bumps. This is what will throw you over the bars when you hit something big and only have 30mm of travel left. If the rebound damping is too soft the wheel will bounce about at higher speeds feeling like a cheap undamped coil spring fork. Rebound damping is the only damping adjustment on most forks. Most cheaper air forks only have a positive air chamber adjustment with a shock pump, the negative air chambers is automatically set at the same pressure. Better forks can have a separate negative air chamber that can be adjusted separately, this makes the most difference with small movements of the fork, when the fork gets further into its travel the impact of the negative air pressure is reduced.

Reactions: EddiePJ and trex
D

Deleted member 4366

Suntour Axon XC forks fitted to the bike in question has both compression and rebound damping independently adjustable.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Totally agree on the road suspension forks make little difference but cycle tracks are an unknown variable, one man's rough track may be a billiard table to another. I do know there is a huge difference in forks including air forks, the Suntours on my Haibike are not in the same league as the Reba Race forks on my 8 year old mtb. They are both 100m travel but the Reba forks have separate dual air chambers and feel much smoother.
Yes,I have a hase tougan with air suspension (recumbent so no option of bopping out of saddle on potholes,and could loose control,so safety really), and none on old 531 with cromo forks and big apples, both great for intended purpose. If I had one bike and a budget of 50£ ID spend it on something g like big apples rather than suspension

Reactions: chris_n