A random thread for things too unimportant for their own thread...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here's another bit of useless information to chew over in bed.. Did you know that If you add data to a USB drive it actually gets lighter? Now, please don't google-net this and then add an "Oh yes I knew that" remark and pretend to be all knowledgeable an all! I found this out by asking Google-net and found that some questioners who asked why women feel the cold more than men also enquired about the weight of data..
Think I need some more Whiskey.. Hic!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it should get more heavy the more data you store on a drive as it traps the electrons to store data but it would be so tiny it would be hard to measure that i guess.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
it should get more heavy the more data you store on a drive as it traps the electrons to store data but it would be so tiny it would be hard to measure that i guess.
Should obviously revamp the design to store using holes rather than electrons. o_O

• :D
Reactions: flecc

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've always had an interest in keeping fit, and whilst at my regular yoga class a few weeks ago, there was some really loud techno music coming from the dance studio down the corridor. Both classes finished at the same time, and out from the dance studio came a group of girls/woman, giggling and laughing, and wearing boots that I had never seen before. As you do, I popped along for a chat, and I ended up thinking that I would have some of that, the boots that is, not the girls, and ever since I have been doing Kangoo Jumps twice a week.
The only reason that I have to juggle my week around, is because one of the sessions is during the day. The class is way out of my comfort zone on so many levels, but being an exercise, I just can't get enough of it. To the extent that I definitely want to take/make more than just a hobby from it. I've spent years on and off in a gym, but this for my requirements, is easily the most the most enjoyable and fun workout yet, and certainly the one that has made me sweat. Beside me having next to no coordination and timing, I can't think of anything negative to say about it. :D
I had long forgotten about writing the above, and can't believe that I am still doing the class!

That wasn't my reason for bumping the thread though, my reason is that I have a question that isn't worth starting a separate thread for.

Is there anyone on here who is into creative writing? (beyond the crap on here:D)

I am trying to write a series of articles covering the riding of local public bridleways, and whilst I seem to muddle along writing reviews and or factual work, I am really struggling to get to grips with writing this series, where I need to inspire the reader and lead them into an adventure, when the reality could be seen as different depending upon you choose to view it.

Example..

This glorious 1.4 mile long bridleway with far reaching views of both the North and South Downs, starts with a gently rolling slope dropping 280ft over a distance of .5 mile before passing two natural ponds, often used by passing animals as a drinking hole. During the ride, you can expect a warm and friendly welcome from both walkers and dog walkers alike.. etc etc

Reality.

This boggy 1.4 mile ride on chewed ground because of 4x 4 use, is usually too foggy to see jack s**t and is always freezing cold when you hit the valley bottom, where you come across two muddy ponds that dog walkers let their dogs play in, before the owners allow their dogs to leave dog eggs for the cyclist to ride through. Also expect abuse from said dog walkers for being on a public bridleway.

How does anyone actually convincingly write the first? :confused:

Reactions: LeighPing

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I had long forgotten about writing the above, and can't believe that I am still doing the class!

That wasn't my reason for bumping the thread though, my reason is that I have a question that isn't worth starting a separate thread for.

Is there anyone on here who is into creative writing? (beyond the crap on here:D)

I am trying to write a series of articles covering the riding of local public bridleways, and whilst I seem to muddle along writing reviews and or factual work, I am really struggling to get to grips with writing this series, where I need to inspire the reader and lead them into an adventure, when the reality could be seen as different depending upon you choose to view it.

Example..

This glorious 1.4 mile long bridleway with far reaching views of both the North and South Downs, starts with a gently rolling slope dropping 280ft over a distance of .5 mile before passing two natural ponds, often used by passing animals as a drinking hole. During the ride, you can expect a warm and friendly welcome from both walkers and dog walkers alike.. etc etc

Reality.

This boggy 1.4 mile ride on chewed ground because of 4x 4 use, is usually too foggy to see jack s**t and is always freezing cold when you hit the valley bottom, where you come across two muddy ponds that dog walkers let their dogs play in, before the owners allow their dogs to leave dog eggs for the cyclist to ride through. Also expect abuse from said dog walkers for being on a public bridleway.

How does anyone actually convincingly write the first? :confused:
By abandoning respect for their (potential) readers.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
By abandoning respect for their (potential) readers.
I'm now on the second of the series of six, and opted to put my own bit of spin upon it by adding some local history into the article, and no b#lls##t.

Bridleway Two in this series detailing the bridleways of Ashdown Forest.

Woodmans Bridleway as it tends to be called now, used to be a pack horse route, and detailed on maps from 1747 as Greenwood to Rotherfield, starting at Greenwood Gate and ending at Heave Gate. I first started to use this bridleway at the age of about ten years old, when we would use it to go fishing in the second mill pond and is a route that I am quite fond of.

Note - As with any designated bridleway, remember that walkers and horse riders also have permitted use of these routes, so please be respectful to both and give way accordingly.

Woodmans bridleway is one of the more popular routes, mainly because it starts in Crowborough, and also because it can be used throughout the year.

Should parking be required, this can be found at either end of the bridleway, Rannoch Road at the Crowborough end, and Wood Reeves carpark on the B2188. Please note though, that Wood Reeves only offers seasonal parking and not during the winter months. Black Hill car park which is close by still on the B2188, offers year-round parking.

For the benefit of writing this, I shall start at the junction of Rannoch Road with Melfort Road, and head towards Wood Reeves. From the afore mentioned junction, proceed down the tarmac covered private road that is Warren Road, cross the junction with Fielden Road, continuing down Warren Road and through what remains of Heave Gate and past Heave Gate Cottages. It doesn’t seem so long ago that Warren Road was a bumpy, pot-holed track, but I guess that it was probably longer ago than I care to recall. After a short distance on the left-hand side, you can look across the valley and see Crowborough army camp, and further into the distance, Kings Standing. After a total distance from the starting point of 0.8 miles, you will reach Home Farm to the right and the Clock House to the front. Turn left at this intersection, and head down beside the Clock House, on to what is now an unmade track. Please note that this section of track can become quite muddy during the winter months, but the mud is only very shallow and doesn’t present a problem. Also be aware that there is an equestrian centre at this section, so please be respectful and keep speed down.

As you head down this track, the fields on either side are replaced by woodland with the Northern safety route of the army camp to the left. The valley on this side is historically known as Brown Knowl (Brown Knoll) and the stream at this point has some of the best waterfalls on all of Ashdown Forest but sadly, being on army land, public admittance is not permitted.

A further point of note here is that when using this bridleway at night time, badgers are often on the track, and care has to be taken to avoid them. When you reach the valley bottom, the bridleway continues around to the left, with the right hand turn leading towards the mill ponds. Following the bridleway, you will cross two bridges, one smaller than the other, but both forming the two traditional sizes used, which a fact that not many people will be aware of. Several years ago, the smaller of the bridges was in a state of disrepair and a campaign by two local residents was started in order to raise funds for its repair. One was Sylvia Seymour and the other Barbara Winters – although I will need to check the second name. I can only assume that the campaign was a success, as the bridge is in a good state of repair, whilst the larger second bridge is now in need of repair. The smaller bridge is also historically unique and again, when I have the details, I shall add them.

The smaller bridge crosses Brown Knowl (Brown Knoll) stream and the larger crosses the stream from the first mill pond, known locally as Paye’s Pond. Both streams eventually run into the River Medway, passing through Buckhurst on the way. On the right of the larger bridge during the Spring time, wild garlic (also known as ramsoms) can be found and the area also has stunning displays of bluebells.

Just beyond the bridge on the left, Old Mill can be seen, and also Old Mill Farm. There used to be access through the property at this point, which lead to Paye’s pond and beyond. Sadly, the current owners have
seen fit to block this access. As a child, we frequently used the cut-through as short cut up through the army camp. I have many fond memories of watching the soldiers on the parade ground.

Getting back to the route, beyond the second bridge the climb up to Black Hill begins, and you are now on the Union Boundary

This section of the bridleway can often sit wet throughout the year but isn’t really particularly muddy. The next point of note is the gate way which leads through to the grounds of a property call Woodmans. Please be respectful when passing through here and don’t treat it as race track, which sadly I have seen people do.

What is now woodland to the left of Woodmans, used to be nursery, but clearly that was a very long time ago.

As the climb progresses, Kings Standing slowly comes into view on the left and this can be seen for virtually the whole length of the climb.

Another interesting historical fact about this climb and track, is that the gradient graduates between being a climb, to level off slightly, and this is repeated. There is a specific reason for this, and the reason is that each flatter section gave the horses that pulled their heavy loads, a chance to breathe and take it easy. Even on a bike, I feel it a welcome design.

When riding this bridleway from the forest towards Crowborough, great care has to be taken when descending this hill at night time, as deer can often be found to leap out across the track. It is an almost given that it will happen, so be aware of it.

The climb isn’t so far, and it isn’t long before you reach Wood Reeves and the B2188. Starting from either end, it is very easy to link a ride taking in the first bridleway listed, which was the Vanguard way one. Both directions give potential to stop off at either the Crow and Gate pub or with deviation to the Blue Anchor.

Like all of the bridleways on the forest at a mere 2.2 miles long, it isn’t exactly a long route, but it is one useable by people of all ages and ability, with Warren Road being particularly suitable to the younger rider but there is still a reasonable amount of traffic that use it, so please take care. I have also seen a disabled buggy being used on the bridleway, and see this is a very viable route.

Bridleway2ed.jpg

Capture1.JPG

zz4as.jpg

Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm now on the second of the series of six, and opted to put my own bit of spin upon it by adding some local history into the article, and no b#lls##t.

Bridleway Two in this series detailing the bridleways of Ashdown Forest.

Woodmans Bridleway as it tends to be called now, used to be a pack horse route, and detailed on maps from 1747 as Greenwood to Rotherfield, starting at Greenwood Gate and ending at Heave Gate. I first started to use this bridleway at the age of about ten years old, when we would use it to go fishing in the second mill pond and is a route that I am quite fond of.

Note - As with any designated bridleway, remember that walkers and horse riders also have permitted use of these routes, so please be respectful to both and give way accordingly.

Woodmans bridleway is one of the more popular routes, mainly because it starts in Crowborough, and also because it can be used throughout the year.

Should parking be required, this can be found at either end of the bridleway, Rannoch Road at the Crowborough end, and Wood Reeves carpark on the B2188. Please note though, that Wood Reeves only offers seasonal parking and not during the winter months. Black Hill car park which is close by still on the B2188, offers year-round parking.

For the benefit of writing this, I shall start at the junction of Rannoch Road with Melfort Road, and head towards Wood Reeves. From the afore mentioned junction, proceed down the tarmac covered private road that is Warren Road, cross the junction with Fielden Road, continuing down Warren Road and through what remains of Heave Gate and past Heave Gate Cottages. It doesn’t seem so long ago that Warren Road was a bumpy, pot-holed track, but I guess that it was probably longer ago than I care to recall. After a short distance on the left-hand side, you can look across the valley and see Crowborough army camp, and further into the distance, Kings Standing. After a total distance from the starting point of 0.8 miles, you will reach Home Farm to the right and the Clock House to the front. Turn left at this intersection, and head down beside the Clock House, on to what is now an unmade track. Please note that this section of track can become quite muddy during the winter months, but the mud is only very shallow and doesn’t present a problem. Also be aware that there is an equestrian centre at this section, so please be respectful and keep speed down.

As you head down this track, the fields on either side are replaced by woodland with the Northern safety route of the army camp to the left. The valley on this side is historically known as Brown Knowl (Brown Knoll) and the stream at this point has some of the best waterfalls on all of Ashdown Forest but sadly, being on army land, public admittance is not permitted.

A further point of note here is that when using this bridleway at night time, badgers are often on the track, and care has to be taken to avoid them. When you reach the valley bottom, the bridleway continues around to the left, with the right hand turn leading towards the mill ponds. Following the bridleway, you will cross two bridges, one smaller than the other, but both forming the two traditional sizes used, which a fact that not many people will be aware of. Several years ago, the smaller of the bridges was in a state of disrepair and a campaign by two local residents was started in order to raise funds for its repair. One was Sylvia Seymour and the other Barbara Winters – although I will need to check the second name. I can only assume that the campaign was a success, as the bridge is in a good state of repair, whilst the larger second bridge is now in need of repair. The smaller bridge is also historically unique and again, when I have the details, I shall add them.

The smaller bridge crosses Brown Knowl (Brown Knoll) stream and the larger crosses the stream from the first mill pond, known locally as Paye’s Pond. Both streams eventually run into the River Medway, passing through Buckhurst on the way. On the right of the larger bridge during the Spring time, wild garlic (also known as ramsoms) can be found and the area also has stunning displays of bluebells.

Just beyond the bridge on the left, Old Mill can be seen, and also Old Mill Farm. There used to be access through the property at this point, which lead to Paye’s pond and beyond. Sadly, the current owners have
seen fit to block this access. As a child, we frequently used the cut-through as short cut up through the army camp. I have many fond memories of watching the soldiers on the parade ground.

Getting back to the route, beyond the second bridge the climb up to Black Hill begins, and you are now on the Union Boundary

This section of the bridleway can often sit wet throughout the year but isn’t really particularly muddy. The next point of note is the gate way which leads through to the grounds of a property call Woodmans. Please be respectful when passing through here and don’t treat it as race track, which sadly I have seen people do.

What is now woodland to the left of Woodmans, used to be nursery, but clearly that was a very long time ago.

As the climb progresses, Kings Standing slowly comes into view on the left and this can be seen for virtually the whole length of the climb.

Another interesting historical fact about this climb and track, is that the gradient graduates between being a climb, to level off slightly, and this is repeated. There is a specific reason for this, and the reason is that each flatter section gave the horses that pulled their heavy loads, a chance to breathe and take it easy. Even on a bike, I feel it a welcome design.

When riding this bridleway from the forest towards Crowborough, great care has to be taken when descending this hill at night time, as deer can often be found to leap out across the track. It is an almost given that it will happen, so be aware of it.

The climb isn’t so far, and it isn’t long before you reach Wood Reeves and the B2188. Starting from either end, it is very easy to link a ride taking in the first bridleway listed, which was the Vanguard way one. Both directions give potential to stop off at either the Crow and Gate pub or with deviation to the Blue Anchor.

Like all of the bridleways on the forest at a mere 2.2 miles long, it isn’t exactly a long route, but it is one useable by people of all ages and ability, with Warren Road being particularly suitable to the younger rider but there is still a reasonable amount of traffic that use it, so please take care. I have also seen a disabled buggy being used on the bridleway, and see this is a very viable route.

View attachment 29774

View attachment 29775

View attachment 29776
That is very readable and, so far as anyone who is never going to visit can ascertain, makes sense.

Like the bridge photo.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I love the area Eddie. My Wife's Mum's ashes were scattered not far from Kingstanding, so it's a place we like to go to reflect. Didn't know cycling was permitted, not that it matters as it's a bit too far for me. I've got as far as Uckfield, from Eastbourne, but the A22's a bloody horrible road to cycle on.

Nice photo's :cool:

Gaz

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I love the area Eddie. My Wife's Mum's ashes were scattered not far from Kingstanding, so it's a place we like to go to reflect. Didn't know cycling was permitted, not that it matters as it's a bit too far for me. I've got as far as Uckfield, from Eastbourne, but the A22's a bloody horrible road to cycle on.

Nice photo's :cool:

Gaz
Superb that you love the area Gaz, I'll add the first Bridleway a little a later, which is the Vanguard Way that runs to Kings Standing.

Ref the cycling from Eastbourne. If I am cycling from Crowborough to Eastbourne, I go to either Heathfield or Horam and use the Cuckoo trail. Alternatively, heading out through the lanes of Chiddingly etc is also pretty pleasant. Heading both directions is pretty much a two battery ride though.

Sadly you have also hit on a big issue in respect to the forest and cycling. The Consevators of Ashdown Forest will have you believe that you can't cycle on the forest and they muddy the water with misinformation, that creates all sorts of problems.
You can in fact legally ride the bridleways, and I have been exchanging correspondance with one of the East Sussex Council Rights of Way officers and have it documented that you legally can. I have carefully sent them maps detailing every bridleway, the TQ numbers and even marked the routes.
Because of the misinformation by the Conservators, it creates all sorts of verbal conflict on some of the routes with dog walkers, simply because they aren't aware of the facts.
I'm actually gunning for the organastion as a whole at the momment, as they waste so much public money, ignore health and safety, cherry pick which bylaws to impliment and ignore, damage schelduled monuments, and destroyed 370,000 square metres of the forest, when they decided to light two uncontrolled fires on the same day. You wouldn't believe how many hours that I am spending upon doing this, but the research going back 100's of years is actually quite enjoyable. Ultimitley the aim will be to set up a seperate organiaztion, and being blunt, make their life a complete misery by ensuring that they they become accountable for every breath that they take. Rant over. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I live about a quarter of a mile from the equatorial end of the Cuckoo trail, so know it well. While it's a great trail, I tend to avoid it these days as I object to the amount of human bipeds on it. And the dogs with their bike garrotting leads. I quite like it when it's dark.... and empty.... I like my own company!
Up over Beachy Head, to East Dean & Seaford, or out over the Pevensey levels to Herstmonceux and then Rushlake Green and Punnets Town areas are my preferred routes - the latter being much less busy.
Interesting about the Forest Bridleways though - what you don't know eh! :rolleyes:

Gaz

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have to say that I am no fan of the Cuckoo trail either. Too much dog mess and too many people for me as well.

Most of my riding time on the forest is done at night time, so I also manage to avoid people then as well. :)

What does make me smile though, is that there is a guy on a disabled buggy that goes on there, and I have no idea how he does it, but he pretty much manages to tackle everything that I do. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Unbelievable. I happened upon the following last night whilst still completing my research on the forest.

How about this for a list of reasons not allow cycles on the forest. I feel another article coming on in response.

There is so much wrong with the following, but I especially love that mountain bikes aren't a natural feature, yet the rangers vehicles, grazing officers vehicles, tractors and numerous other vehicles, must then be considered natural.

An article seemingly written with clear prejudice against the cyclist.

mtb on forest.jpg

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Unbelievable. I happened upon the following last night whilst still completing my research on the forest.

How about this for a list of reasons not allow cycles on the forest. I feel another article coming on in response.

There is so much wrong with the following, but I especially love that mountain bikes aren't a natural feature, yet the rangers vehicles, grazing officers vehicles, tractors and numerous other vehicles, must then be considered natural.

An article seemingly written with clear prejudice against the cyclist.

View attachment 29850
What a load of crap
One minute were to silent and in there next breath were disturbing the wild life , i would say the person behind this is definately a bike hater as you say .

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Don't worry Fat Rat, I have really been giving them a very hard time, and have forced some changes and admittance of legal rights. It is one of the reasons that I haven't been on here so much of late, as it is taking up a fair bit of my time.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Advertisers