A random thread for things too unimportant for their own thread...

D

Deleted member 4366

I gave up in 1974 In my dreams I often relent and start again which after 40 years is surprising, so I have some sympathy for those trying to stop.
That's interesting. I too gave up in 1974. It took about 2 years to get free from the desire to have another one; however, I regularly had dreams about me smoking again, which finally stopped after about 30 years.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Vaping devices fall into two categories - electronic and mechanical. The ones with LED's, adjustable watts and temp are electronic. Mechanical devices are simply a battery in a tube and a push button to operate.
Whatever they may be I have always considered smoking to be at best a distraction whist driving.
As a smoker do you ..
(a) pull over to light up and then continue driving swapping hand/mouth with the car controls.
(b) Pull over, get out of the car to have your smoke
(c) Continue driving whist you fiddle about with a lighter with one/both hands off of the wheel.

I used to be adept at steering with my knees while I struck a match and lit my ciggy, occasionally doing the seated wriggle dance when the match or fag end landed in my lap. To be fair tho the traffic was much more predictable in those days..

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My experience too, giving up after almost 40 years of smoking and the latter years at 60+ a day.

I think like with most addictions the fear of giving up is far worse than the actual giving up. I found the secret is to actually want to give up, rather than hope to give up while fearing what that would be like.
Initially my reasons were financial. Low paid job, miners strike put me on a 3 day week and no work means no pay, so it was litterally smoke or eat! After that it's as you say.. the fear of stopping was much worse that actually doing it although without the hardship factor it may have been different, who knows, but if fags were put up to £50 a pack many others could get the same boost I got ..
Oh! How much are fags now?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh! How much are fags now?
Just got this of the net:

The average price of a pack of 20 cigarettes was £9.91 after the last budget. Increasing that by a further 4.9 per cent adds 49p to a pack - putting the average price of a pack of 20 up to £10.40.

It was awareness of my health being affected, combined with becoming irritated by being a slave to those little tubes of dried leaves that decided me to give up.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Just got this of the net:

The average price of a pack of 20 cigarettes was £9.91 after the last budget. Increasing that by a further 4.9 per cent adds 49p to a pack - putting the average price of a pack of 20 up to £10.40.

It was awareness of my health being affected, combined with becoming irritated by being a slave to those little tubes of dried leaves that decided me to give up.
As a youngster, say 12 I went on the tour of the local Players factory.. just accross the road. As was everybody else, i was given a 10 pack as the tour concluded. I decided to try one, as one does, then realising the package was now opened, I forced myself to take a second, .. knowing that I could not give an opened package to my father, i flushed the rest away, thus ended my smoking days, some 44 years ago. If i were to have dreams about smoking it would be what would have happened to me had my mother discovered me smoking in the coal shed, where we stored the pariffin

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As a youngster, say 12 I went on the tour of the local Players factory.. just accross the road. As was everybody else, i was given a 10 pack as the tour concluded. I decided to try one, as one does, then realising the package was now opened, I forced myself to take a second, .. knowing that I could not give an opened package to my father, i flushed the rest away, thus ended my smoking days, some 44 years ago. If i were to have dreams about smoking it would be what would have happened to me had my mother discovered me smoking in the coal shed, where we stored the pariffin
My point about dreams is that after 40 years the adictive mechanism in my body must be still active. Its not like I dream about this all the time, its just that oasionally I seem to go back there, and smelling tobaco smoke just turns my stomach but also brings back a fleeting almost memory, if that makes any sense..

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
local shop has 18 players king size for £7.80 1g off weed is £10 depending what strain it is could be more.

1g of shatter is £60-80 that is the purest thc you can get.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
local shop has 18 players king size for £7.80 1g off weed is £10 depending what strain it is could be more.

1g of shatter is £60-80 that is the purest thc you can get.
Shatter? I havnt experienced that since i bought the ebike.. SW I barely understand half of what you say, so either you live on a different planet to me or I have led a sheltered life..
[emoji485][emoji485][emoji485]

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you need about 10g off bud to make 1g of shatter why it is so expensive i can get a 1g of crack cheaper lol.

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: tommie and EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shatter? I havnt experienced that since i bought the ebike.. SW I barely understand half of what you say, so either you live on a different planet to me or I have led a sheltered life..
Shatter is a kind of cannabis extract, one of many names for such concentrations of the active cannabis plant constituents like THC.

No, I've never used any psychoactive drug, but know a few who do and keep myself informed as it's so big a part of today's life.

P.S. Crossed with Soundwave's post.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Shatter is a kind of cannabis extract, one of many names for such concentrations of the active cannabis plant constituents like THC.

No, I've never used any psychoactive drug, but know a few who do and keep myself informed as it's so big a part of today's lfe.
Sheltered life it is then..

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
No matter what non smokers say about how revolting tobacco smoke smells, to smokers and ex smokers it is heaven.
Not every X smoker, 20 years a smoker and 10 years clean.
I've just got home after a swim, my gym entrance is between a dominos and a pub, theres always at least one snoutcast outside one or other of these establishments.
half hour Swimming and breathing heavy clears the lungs, so walking through a cloud of secondhand smoke actualy makes me feel ill.

PS: the Dominos smell just makes me hungry ;)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not every X smoker, 20 years a smoker and 10 years clean.
Agreed. Far more than 20 years a smoker, and a bit over 10 years clean.

The smell of cigarette smoke is absolutely unbearable.

I went through a period of phantosmia - smelling cigarette smoke where there was none. (Seems quite common in people who are hypothyroid.) For a few years, I was frequently confused as to whether it was real smoke or phantom that I could smell as I went about the world.

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
China has the most amazing aircraft!

My latest purchase from there tracked as departed country of origin 2016-02-16 23::20:00 - and I have to assume it is still up there somewhere. :)

Advertisers