A random thread for things too unimportant for their own thread...

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Don't worry Fat Rat, I have really been giving them a very hard time, and have forced some changes and admittance of legal rights. It is one of the reasons that I haven't been on here so much of late, as it is taking up a fair bit of my time.
Fantastic
Keep up the good work

Reactions: EddiePJ

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
It irks me that on a cycling forum so many people cannot spell 'pedal'. 'Peddle' and 'peddling' mean selling stuff. No big deal, I suppose, but then it's not that hard to get it right, either.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I doubt whether there are many on this forum of that age, and those here should know the difference between pedal and peddle. Textspeak is intentionally lazy and I expect short cuts there - I have teenage kids.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've just had an eBay help person ask me to 'bare with him'. Luckily, I'm only wearing shorts...

• :D
Reactions: Steed and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This is a sort of giving back to the community job that I took on. I have watched this bridge deteriorate over many years, and felt that something had to be done to try to preserve it for future generations . It's been a very pleasurable couple of weeks work. :)
View attachment 37566

View attachment 37567

View attachment 37568
Had it actually been allowed to fall down, the costs of checking, making it safe enough even as a pile of rubble, etc., would likely have been vastly more than a basic and timely repair.

Looks like you have done a pretty darned good job there.

There is a not wholly dissimilar bridge just around the corner to here - a bit lower. That must have been fixed fairly recently - maybe as part of Sustrans 4? It would make a big difference were it to have been allowed to fail. Aside from anything else, the flow of water is very important.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thank you for the compliment.
This bridge is on a bridleway, and if it had been allowed to crumble, the council intended to replace it with a basic wooden bridge. The bridge as it stands, dates from about 1860, and the track that it is on, used to form part of a main pack horse route, shown on a map dated 1747.

b6.jpg

Certainly a lovely location to work. :)

b4a.jpg

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Thank you for the compliment.
This bridge is on a bridleway, and if it had been allowed to crumble, the council intended to replace it with a basic wooden bridge. The bridge as it stands, dates from about 1860, and the track that it is on, used to form part of a main pack horse route, shown on a map dated 1747.

View attachment 37574
I meant it. :)

Well done. Was it a team of volunteers? Just a few friends? Agreed by the council? Checked by building control?

(Only out of interest.)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I meant it. :)

Well done. Was it a team of volunteers? Just a few friends? Agreed by the council? Checked by building control?

(Only out of interest.)
It was actually just me by my self. :)

The council were involved, but not in a capacity as I would have expected. As part of my oak framing work, I deal with building control quite regularly, but this was quite a relaxed affair, and all that was asked for was photos.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK

Advertisers