A run around Dumfries and Galloway

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
We are fortunate to have a holiday caravan down at Sandgreen on the south coast of Scotland . It’s a quiet site with none of the “entertainment” of some other sites. In general it attracts more active folk with lots of sailing, walking, cycling and plenty of peace and quite. My wife used to come here as a girl and apart from a few more vans the place has changed very little.

We spend quite a bit of our free time here so needless to say I wanted an Ebike I could leave here without the hassle of packing up a bike each week in the car. As much as I love my Cytronex I couldn’t run to another £1500 bike this year(next year maybe a Wisper/Gepida or self build) so after a little research settled on a Alien GS2.

Inspired by “Oldtimers” recent posts I thought I do a wee ride report.

The starting point for this and many other runs our wee home from home

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Leaving Sandgreen and heading east along the coast brings you to a collection of small beaches and coves at Carrick

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Shortly after Carrick we join national cycle route 7 for a while. This route runs from Carlisle to Inverness via Glasgow. Never far from the coast there are a collection of tracks and paths all begging to be explored.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
There's an interesting disused church along the way and I like the use of pebbles in the wall.

It’s a bit early at the moment but this cottage garden will be a mass of daffodils in a few weeks

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Reaching the village of Borgue its time to head inland towards Gatehouse of Fleet. There’s a couple of decent hills along the way and together we tackle them with ease. I have disconnected the pedelec as I find it a little too easy. Using the throttle while pedalling I can just tickle it to take the edge off. Free wheeling down one of the hills I’m passed by three ”proper” cyclists who give me a wave, a smile and a curious look(I’m wearing shorts and my “terminator” leg is on display) As we start to climb the next hill I’m feeling a little mischievous so pin the throttle pedal like hell and fly past them. It can’t be everyday you get passed going uphill by a grinning, 18 stone, one legged man

Its possible to get from Gatehouse of Fleet to Sandgreen without using public roads. I head past Cally woods taking 20 mins to explore a few tracks, then past the Cally Palace hotel, under the A75, past Cally farm and I’m home

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland

My ever faithful hound has been looking out for me and my ever faithful wife has the kettle on

The bike preformed very well indeed and I'm looking forward to exploring more of the local area

Stumpi

C

Cyclezee

Great report Stumpi. Both my parents came from Dumfriesshire and I can remember a summer holiday as a wee laddie spent at Rockliffe, I thought it was paradise.

You have just inspired me to escape and take a tour of the Galloway coast in summer;)

J:) hn

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Great stuff!:)

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Nice pictures Stumpi. You seem to have been lucky with the weather. :cool:
This part of the UK looks as if it offers some great cycling routes. I have always thought I would like to tackle an e-cycle run from Drumlanrig Castle, Sanquhar (25miles North of Dumfries) to Wanlockhead (highest village in Scotland) where you can pan for gold:rolleyes: . I reckon you could probably get membership of the 50+ Club on the return journey:D

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Great posts Stumpi

I have booked a lodge at Torrisdale Castle on Kintyre in August. Taking the wife, the dogs and the Cytronex Synapses. Your posts find me wishing my life away ('til the summer)

Cheers,

Nick

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Thanks folks

We are blessed in Scotland with lots of great cycling roads(and a few hills:D)

I must try and take my camera more often, it makes me stop and enjoy the run a little more.

Weather permitting I'll take the camera out on the Cytronex soon

Stumpi

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks folks

We are blessed in Scotland with lots of great cycling roads(and a few hills:D)

I must try and take my camera more often, it makes me stop and enjoy the run a little more.

Weather permitting I'll take the camera out on the Cytronex soon

Stumpi
Nice one stumpi. I like the bit about passing the other cyclists:D You wearing shorts:confused: This was today? they make em strong in Scotland but i suppose you get used to the draught under the old kilt:D I dunno if that old leg is plastic or ali but if it`s ali then polish it up to cut down wind resistance and blind the buggers as you go by:)

Lovely area and the dog has pride of place(as it should be.) bet that cuppa tasted good?

Dave

mapman

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2009
newcastle /ne7
Lovely pics stumpi,

On lates this week so look forward to seeing these types of posts keep them coming. so you give the bike a good run performance ok.

thanks.

mapman.

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
What a great scenery! I would love to go for a bike ride up there:rolleyes: