A trailer for ebike or non ebike towing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Eric's was the monicka given to Jerrys in Aufwiedersein pet in the 80's.

I think for the most part 2010 - 2020/1 the Yframe is a v.2.0 and after that might be the v2.2. The v2.2 is the latest incarnation and the Y frame likely the same and the version is just the newer upgraded look /spec.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Eric's was the monicka given to Jerrys in Aufwiedersein pet in the 80's.
From the land where Germs are many after all! I missed that entire era of TV, but not because I was in prison, honest.

I think for the most part 2010 - 2020/1 the Yframe is a v.2.0 and after that might be the v2.2. The v2.2 is the latest incarnation and the Y frame likely the same and the version is just the newer upgraded look /spec.
CF's seem so well engineered and put together - that old style hitch for instance is a beautifully finished and very reassuringly solid hunk of stainless steel. Incredibly precise too, only unhitches at the right angle... also unhitches for safety after a certain angle, a very clever design. It's ziptied to something large, so I don't misplace it again.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The CF is a Scot's incarnation and the original company & designers were in Aberdeen, it was later that the company was sold abroad.

• Informative

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Re the tow hitch dropping down under load, I adapted mine with a brace, posted it before but can't find it. There's a bit of webbing in the cup that fits under frame to stop scratching. 5321453215

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Re the tow hitch dropping down under load, I adapted mine with a brace, posted it before but can't find it. There's a bit of webbing in the cup that fits under frame to stop scratching. View attachment 53214View attachment 53215
Is that brazed? I recall doing that at school, haven't since. BTW, I recently repaired a cracked cassette spacer like you have pictured (for the Dahon Espresso), using superglue + bicarb + sandpaper.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Welded, not, brazed, a bit of 25 x 5 flat bar with a bit of 12 x 3 flat br for the little cup. I have an ancient sip stick welder, I must have had it for 40 years. It's just a big transformer, nothing to go wrong now the broken switch has been bypassed , just plug it in.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
CF #2 up and running , now can choose short or long flat bed for cargo use.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The vaude isn't too dissimilar to the Homcom.
Show us a pic! Do you mean the Vida XL? If so, that looks near as dammit a Homcom, and the combination of it's cage and the CF's excellent design of everything else, could make a Frankenstein's trailer an excellent overall solution. The one thing the CFs lack is a large cage utilising the full size of it's load bed. Removing the wheels and towing arm from my Homcom would reduce weight, cut off the wheel mounting tubes, reducing weight further... the now lighter cage could then be bolted onto the CF load bed, through drilled flat bar, held to the CF frame from underneath so that extremely heavy loads don't break bolts out through the wood. Alternatively thick round wood discs/pegs/feet of the right size could be cut to fit through those four holes of the CF platform, and the cage strapped to the CF frame.

... and bolt those to the Homcom cage, through a second wood platform under the Homcom cage (replacing the thin plastic base). For flat loads, simply unstrap and lift off the Homcom cage. A stronger tray would be hard to source, and it'd stand on those four feet of course, when it's off the trailer. Very versatile is a strong cage - no need to buy tiny expensive box feet to securely strap down a box of smaller volume, could be used to transport objects of otherwise awkward shapes... you can simply chuck in bags of compost etc, and of course things can be prevented from rolling about by stuffing more things in, and the entire lot can be tarped over, or easier still, simply thrown into a huge rubble sack, tied off and tied to the sides. I'd rather combine a Homcom and a Carry Freedom, than replace a crap Homcom hitch with another of the same. The steel cage is very strong, and if looked after could last for many years. I don't think we need worry too much about weight of the cage - the quoted weight limits for Homcom, Vida or CF are quite conservative... we've proven they can carry far beyond those lol.

Vida XL

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a box that easily straps on to the CF if needed so the Vidal framed type isn't needed , without the box CF is far easier for storage.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Homcom conveniently folds for easy storage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you lose the CF axle covers then one can buy a very cheap 25mm option on aliexpress that fits perfectly and cheaper then the genuine CF rubber cap.
Well remembered and located! Thanks! If AliExpress haven't banned me (still locked my account for opening a Paypal case), I'll order those.

Related Articles

Advertisers