A2B Hybrid/24

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Some friends of mine have just bought two of these.

On the way back from the pub they have a very steep hill to climb, are they going to be disappointed?

Can you fit a throttle and also can you press magic buttons for their off road use or are they stuck with 15.5 mph.
20170521_201723[1513].jpg

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Lovely to ride , I had the a2b metro, but when that battery goes flat it's like pedalling a moped with brakes stuck on.

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Some friends of mine have just bought two of these.
On the way back from the pub they have a very steep hill to climb, are they going to be disappointed?
Its going to depend on how steep is steep, and how fit they are. I know that sounds a little obvious, but unlike a mid drive where you can keep changing gear and keep the motor operating in an efficient zone, with the hub motors on the A2B, there is a kind of cut off point. If you are able to keep the speed up (I'd imagine around 10mph on the Hybrid24, but I'm not sure on that particular model so maybe its lower), then they'll probably fly up the hill no problem.
If however leg muscles can't push that hard as the gradient is just toooo steep, then the speed can start falling and then the power the motor can put out will also fall - a bit of a vicious circle. So going a bit faster than usual and powering up a hill is often a better option with that type of bike rather than changing down and keeping the cadence up as you might do with a mid drive.

I'm afraid I'm not aware of any magic button presses to circumvent the 15mph. Some of the models can have a throttle added, but again, I'm not aware of anything easily available - probably best to have a word with the dealer (although if it was me, I'd just leave it as it is)

It would be nice for you to report back on what they (and you!) think of them. They are very lovely, quality bikes. Very different to an MTB Haibike for example, but probably more comfortable and practical for most 'normal' people who want to say just pop down the pub (as long as the hills aren't too steep :)). I'm often surprised at the lack of discussion on the A2B models on this forum.