Abuse when wearing helmet cam

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Am I the only one who gets weird looks and abuse when wearing a helmet cam? I think it's because my camera is too big and noticeable. It's the SJ4000 and looks exactly like the GoPro. I'm honestly considering getting a smaller camera after today. I had a driver and his passenger laugh at me at a red light before they began to sing. I have no idea what they said since I'm quite good at blocking things I don't want to hear but I felt extremely vulnerable and I'm still feeling quite upset. I'm sick of pedestrians and drivers staring at me. I'm sick of being laughed at. I've lost count of people who have said "oh look, that girl has a camera on her head".

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You could mount it on the handlebars and people wouldn't notice or would think it's a light,

Reactions: CorpusLuteum

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
You could mount it on the handlebars and people wouldn't notice or would think it's a light,
Oh yeah I can't believe I never thought of that. Silly me haha. Thank you so much :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Of course, you shouldn't have to alter your chosen mount because of nasty people.

But realistically, as a lone cyclist - male or female - you are an easy target.

I get very little abuse, but when I do the only sensible answer is to ignore it.

Today I went out with a group of about 15 riders.

We had no bother at all.

I wonder why.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Of course, you shouldn't have to alter your chosen mount because of nasty people.

But realistically, as a lone cyclist - male or female - you are an easy target.

I get very little abuse, but when I do the only sensible answer is to ignore it.

Today I went out with a group of about 15 riders.

We had no bother at all.

I wonder why.
You're right I shouldn't have to but sadly I let my emotions get the better of me. I couldn't help but cry as soon as I arrived home in the safety of my bedroom. Pathetic I know...

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Would not have laughed if he was caught on cam doing something he should not have being. :oops: and it ended up on you tube
Hahaha I'll upload it to youtube now. Although I turned my head away as soon as I saw them laughing so I didn't capture their little song lol

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You're right I shouldn't have to but sadly I let my emotions get the better of me. I couldn't help but cry as soon as I arrived home in the safety of my bedroom. Pathetic I know...
That is a genuine shame, and not easy to deal with.

One way to look at it is to worry about them as much as they worry about you - which ain't an awful lot.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
That is a genuine shame, and not easy to deal with.

One way to look at it is to worry about them as much as they worry about you - which ain't an awful lot.
Thank you for your words of kindness. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with it again once I mount my camera on the handlebars.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Be brave and don't let the a-holes win, for a start you've more courage than me to cycle through that traffic, I only have the odd Deer, Sheep or tourist to worry about.
Keep it up and you can always have a good old moan with your friends on here.:)

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Be brave and don't let the a-holes win, for a start you've more courage than me to cycle through that traffic, I only have the odd Deer, Sheep or tourist to worry about.
Keep it up and you can always have a good old moan with your friends on here.:)
Thank you Dave :) here's another video of me making a fool of myself. Almost fell off due to strong winds. I seriously need a lighter bicycle.

Reactions: john h

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I dont understand. Why would you care what some random fool in a car thinks? And why would it upset you if someone sings? Or laughs?

Wear your helmet cam. And next time someone laughs, you laugh right back.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
I dont understand. Why would you care what some random fool in a car thinks? And why would it upset you if someone sings? Or laughs?

Wear your helmet cam. And next time someone laughs, you laugh right back.
Thank you. Like I said, I know I shouldn't care but sadly I let those sort of things get to me. Maybe I'll get used to it over time.

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
Thank you Dave :) here's another video of me making a fool of myself. Almost fell off due to strong winds. I seriously need a lighter bicycle.
Do you have a throttle-only option? They are very good for pulling away smoothly from a standstill before you start pedalling.