Accessories please?

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
Guess I'll need a bike pump now, and a puncture repair kit, and suggestions please guys? Are the mini ones any good like the Diyife, Amazon have a deal on, very cheap so any good? I do have an electric car pump for when at home.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I used to carry regular length pump and spare tubes, and leave any puncture repairs to back at home.
Since fitting Marathon Plus I usually don't bother, especially for fairly local journeys (most of ours are).

I find a decent but basic track pump more convenient at home than an electric car pump, even though I have one.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I bought an ultra cheap, very lightweight, but fairly long pump, which is fine for occasional punctures and achieving moderate pressures.

Having used it in anger about 10 times, I would not want anything smaller.

At home I have a cheap and very adequate middle of Lidl track pump.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
I bought an ultra cheap, very lightweight, but fairly long pump, which is fine for occasional punctures and achieving moderate pressures.

Having used it in anger about 10 times, I would not want anything smaller.

At home I have a cheap and very adequate middle of Lidl track pump.
So in your opinion a longer pump is better, even if its a bit of a pain to carry about on your rides?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
So in your opinion a longer pump is better, even if its a bit of a pain to carry about on your rides?
For ease of use, the longer the better. Looking a long way back in my ebay purchases, this is what I carry:

About a foot long, and 9 ounces. Doesn't get in the way too much. Cheap, so not much downside!

Reactions: guerney

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Small pump and C02 cartridge tyre inflator, saves a lot time, get one that does both type of valves

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
@RHB123 - lots of good suggestions above so just to add my two-penny worth:

> avoid the mini pump things - you'll spend ages pumping up the size tyres found on e-bikes. Those pumps are for the roadies who like to be minimalist and carry everything in their jersey pockets
> Personaly I'd not rely just on CO2 inflators. Firstly, when replacing a tube into the tyre, it is often much easier to partially inflate it and then insert it into the tyre. Secondly, I have known the tube valve to freeze in cold weather when inflating with CO2. Thirdly, how many CO2 cannisters do you take - I've been on rides where I've experienced multiple punctures.
If you do inflate with CO2, be sure on getting home to let out the gas and re-inflate with an air pump (track pumps are best)
> Patches - don't rely on those not requiring glue (e.g. Scabs), they have a high failure rate. use instead, patches and glue - personally I've had good results from those sold by Wilko but the are good products around.
> And if you're a complete novice at this game, give YT a watch.
> Let me assure you that preparation in all its guises will pay off. I learnt my lesson as a kid when half way across Romney Marsh I punctured - no kit at all and a long walk back to Folkestone - never been caught out since.