Accessories

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Tracking systems are only good if you are prepared to get it back yourself once you have tracked it down the police will not help you this has been the case with a few cyclists and many iphone owners and owners of tools etc that have tracking
A ‘tile slim’ can be inserted into a hailong battery case.

Of course it’s no guarantee of recovery, but the ability to provide the police with an address where stolen goods are present may lead to a positive outcome

Reactions: ebiker99

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I agree that the cable locks are next to useless and knew that, unfortunately all of my riding is off road on a EMTB and is an average of 35 to 40 miles. It’s just the coffee stop that the problem. I have one of those abus flat link things but it is almost as heavy as the battery and awkward to wrap around things. I now use a rim lock and a small disc lock. The disc lock would be particularly fiddly to cut. They could however just pick the bike up and run but I would have a far better chance of catching them.

D

Deleted member 25121

Tracking systems are only good if you are prepared to get it back yourself once you have tracked it down the police will not help you this has been the case with a few cyclists and many iphone owners and owners of tools etc that have tracking
Sadly that seems to be the case but at least you'll hopefully know where the bike is, just mention to the police that you've seen the occupant riding your bike and they should respond positively.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think I mentioned on here once before I set mine off accidently outside a store and people came running out to see what the racket was about. For £12 it's a no-brainer, the light's intense to boot so there's your back up light if you better for having one.
Only because they think it is a car that has maybe been hit, otherwise they won't be concerned that it's a bike and will not likely bother to intervene . I still see it as a gimmick, decent locks will be a better investment.

Reactions: ebiker99

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
I agree that the cable locks are next to useless and knew that, unfortunately all of my riding is off road on a EMTB and is an average of 35 to 40 miles. It’s just the coffee stop that the problem. I have one of those abus flat link things but it is almost as heavy as the battery and awkward to wrap around things. I now use a rim lock and a small disc lock. The disc lock would be particularly fiddly to cut. They could however just pick the bike up and run but I would have a far better chance of catching them.
That’s a great example of a combined approach: disc lock (back wheel) + alarm is potentially a good combination in an urban area

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Luckily at work I have an inside space to leave the bike, and do not need to carry my heavy Kryptonite U lock, and even that would be easily enough overcome by an battery angle grinder, but cable locks can just be snipped with a hand tool.

On all my shopping/errand rides I use the u lock, despite the inconvenience of carrying it around, really just to increase the effort of stealing the bike.

I also do most of my shopping trips on a 2011 rear hub Oxygen emate with battery behind the seat which is now pretty old and looks very well used which is quite a good anti theft deterrent in its own right.
Hi , as a newbie, how long did your original battery last? Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've tried so many pumps of every type that I've lost count now. Some work on some tubes, but not on others and they nearly all let me or my friends down in our time of need. There is one which I can always rely on, so I recommend it very highly:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Like you Andy I thought that this same alarm was a good idea and probably still is. Unfortunately the thief who stole my bike, in a very busy street, didn’t seem perturbed as he rode away with me giving chase and the alarm doing what alarms do. He soon lost me and probably ripped the alarm off ASAP. He also snipped through a cable lock whilst pretending to tie a shoe lace. Took him about 10 seconds in total.
Sad.
Now you know why I use two quality chains, one front wheel to frame and fence and also one back wheel to frame and fence, that would take quite some time to "snip" though them both, and only with a large bolt cutter on one and a flex on the other.....
Nothing is 100%, but over the last 7 years it has worked perfectly.... Though the alarm came much later....
My chain locks cost each then around 100 UK Pounds, even though I ride only a relatively cheap e-bike!
One was actually made for motorbikes, and although I am an amateur lock smith of some years standing, I cannot pick either of them myself, at least up to now! Even though I have all the right tools and know how to use them....
Front door cylinders take me generally about 30 seconds or less to open!
Was your bike insured and did they eventually pay out?
regards
Andy

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi , as a newbie, how long did your original battery last? Thanks
The battery on my March 2015 Haibike is still working well and will be 5 years old in March 2020. However it is a lot of money to replace, so it is a good thing it has lasted well. A replacement 400Wh Yamaha Battery costs around £650 from the shop I bought my bike from. The bike has covered 11.430 miles.

I am now on my third battery on my over eight year old rear hub Oxygen. However the batteries can be bought cheaply off ebay, the last one I bought was under £200 including a charger and that will be two years old in the spring. Obviously not the same quality as the Haibike but it gets me 10 miles to work on full assist where I can charge it. I guess the range is only about 20 miles, but I am using the bike almost daily, probably a good 1500+ miles a year, and every journey means I leave the car at home and get some activity. I live on top of a hill with the town in the river valley below and need to add plenty of effort myself through the pedals to maintain any decent speed back up the hill home.

Being conservative it must have done over 10,000 and maybe a fair bit more.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Sad.
Now you know why I use two quality chains, one front wheel to frame and fence and also one back wheel to frame and fence, that would take quite some time to "snip" though them both, and only with a large bolt cutter on one and a flex on the other.....
Nothing is 100%, but over the last 7 years it has worked perfectly.... Though the alarm came much later....
My chain locks cost each then around 100 UK Pounds, even though I ride only a relatively cheap e-bike!
One was actually made for motorbikes, and although I am an amateur lock smith of some years standing, I cannot pick either of them myself, at least up to now! Even though I have all the right tools and know how to use them....
Front door cylinders take me generally about 30 seconds or less to open!
Was your bike insured and did they eventually pay out?
regards
Andy
Yes my bike was insured and they payed out promptly, within two weeks.
Two months later it was spotted by a cycle forum member for sale in a Cash Converters. I informed the insurers and they asked if I could go pick it up along with the police. They then asked if I would like to make them an offer for the bike as it was now of course they’re property. Which I did.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
The battery on my March 2015 Haibike is still working well and will be 5 years old in March 2020. However it is a lot of money to replace, so it is a good thing it has lasted well. A replacement 400Wh Yamaha Battery costs around £650 from the shop I bought my bike from. The bike has covered 11.430 miles.

I am now on my third battery on my over eight year old rear hub Oxygen. However the batteries can be bought cheaply off ebay, the last one I bought was under £200 including a charger and that will be two years old in the spring. Obviously not the same quality as the Haibike but it gets me 10 miles to work on full assist where I can charge it. I guess the range is only about 20 miles, but I am using the bike almost daily, probably a good 1500+ miles a year, and every journey means I leave the car at home and get some activity. I live on top of a hill with the town in the river valley below and need to add plenty of effort myself through the pedals to maintain any decent speed back up the hill home.

Being conservative it must have done over 10,000 and maybe a fair bit more.
Hi and thanks for replying. I am buying the Oxygen go apparently it has an Apache battery would you know anything about this battery grateful for any info.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Only because they think it is a car that has maybe been hit, otherwise they won't be concerned that it's a bike and will not likely bother to intervene . I still see it as a gimmick, decent locks will be a better investment.
So do I Neal but then I have both, a U lock the best out there price £100, an alarm price £12 = belt and braces.
About 25 years ago I built my own alarm that I fitted to my Honda as I used to park it in some rough areas. That alarm saved my machine many times, without it thieves would have just picked the thing up and thrown it in a trailer....gone.