Achilles tendon

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Achilles tendon playing up, it is definitely aggravated by the cycling. this is a recent thing, and has been coming and going for a few months. GP identified it and just told be to use a Ibuprofen based cream which helped, but long ride today and really painful again:(

any ideas? as this is a new aliment for me:rolleyes:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The Achilles tendon comes into play when springing forward on the toes or when standing on tip-toe, try moving your feet further forward on the pedals when riding. Have you tried the walk 'n' ride style shoes from NorthWave and Shimano amongst others.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Achilles tendon playing up, it is definitely aggravated by the cycling. this is a recent thing, and has been coming and going for a few months. GP identified it and just told be to use a Ibuprofen based cream which helped, but long ride today and really painful again:(

any ideas? as this is a new aliment for me:rolleyes:
Not sure how old you are Ed, but things do start to go wrong as time goes by. Cycling is bringing my worn knees to the forefront but funnily enough my long term worn last disk in my back doesn`t play up anywhere near as much as I thought it would.

I`ve been using the Ibuprofen clear gel on my knees and it does help, the trade named Nurophen brand is what I`ve been using ( 5%) and just last week when in Boots the chemist the lady that served me offered me Boots own at ( 10%) version and it is more effectice for sure. Give it a try.

Dave

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

This year has been tough for biking, over 3 months of agony with sacroiliac joint, then just as that getting better injured my foot in Thailand and infection set in, which put me out of action for nearly another two months...all the good work and the little weight I had lost crept back up

Thanks for the tips, and will investigate the shoes...did get some (Alan Ladd) heal insoles on GPs advice:p All set up for "strictly" but no ones asked me:(

Last edited:

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Your seat may be too high. Use the standard fitting technique for the old 10speed bicycles to check this.
Paul

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I`ve been using the Ibuprofen clear gel on my knees and it does help, the trade named Nurophen brand is what I`ve been using ( 5%) and just last week when in Boots the chemist the lady that served me offered me Boots own at ( 10%) version and it is more effectice for sure. Give it a try.

Dave
There's evidence that the use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs such as ibruprofen actually speeds up the advance of arthiritis by reducing the production of lubricant in the joint. I'm not sure how this applies to topically applied creams though.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I use one of these:

Ankle Brace - Aircast AirSport Ankle Brace

for a similar condition - my tib.ant snapped (the one that goes from the big toe along the top of the foot then up the leg) a few years back, with all sorts of spin-off problems.

Anyway, the brace does hold your ankle/foot together, and might help.

And if you haven't already, then find a physiotherapist. Preferably NHS, but if you don't want to wait 3 months, then go private. It'll cost you about 40-50 quid a time, but if you get the right physio, they really can work magic with such problems.

(Also: Neurofen pills are sometimes more effective than the topical gels. Well, they are with my various ailments...)

Allen.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks Chaps! A lot better after a few days rest and ibruprofen cream, if it was not for this weather I would go out for a spin........

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I use one of these:

Ankle Brace - Aircast AirSport Ankle Brace

for a similar condition - my tib.ant snapped (the one that goes from the big toe along the top of the foot then up the leg) a few years back, with all sorts of spin-off problems.

Anyway, the brace does hold your ankle/foot together, and might help.

And if you haven't already, then find a physiotherapist. Preferably NHS, but if you don't want to wait 3 months, then go private. It'll cost you about 40-50 quid a time, but if you get the right physio, they really can work magic with such problems.

(Also: Neurofen pills are sometimes more effective than the topical gels. Well, they are with my various ailments...)

Allen.
Make you right about the pills being better than the rub but beware! after years of treating a bad back with the pills I have a dodgy area in my stomach caused by them having the effect like apsirins have:eek: