Action cameras

Aliddee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2017
Scotland
this one was a budget job, came with loads of accessories. Mounted on handlebars no case, no stabilization. Very impressive images to large screen tv.

D

Deleted member 33385

this one was a budget job, came with loads of accessories. Mounted on handlebars no case, no stabilization. Very impressive images to large screen tv.
View attachment 39913
Close call! Was the driver blind, or was he expecting a slower bike rider? Good job you caught it on camera, handy footage for if he mangled you and ran.

Reactions: Aliddee

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Close call! Was the driver blind, or was he expecting a slower bike rider? Good job you caught it on camera, handy footage for if he mangled you and ran.
i ride my bike on the pavement just going 30mph ;)

i have only ran over 2 ppl since i got my bike but if you want to be a ass and refuse to move i will run them over ;)

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
I've ridden with a ghost-x for over 2 years , I clamp under my handle bars.
Very easy to use , 5 hour battery, lens revolves to set horizon, wifi link so can download to your phone or use as a viewfinder. Buy SD card to suit your needs. Records in 1080p 30fps. Also has settings to work as a camera with a single shot ,multi burst or timer. Comes with helmet mounts in the box.

ghost x camera.png
gx.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0031.JPG

:p

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
View attachment 39913
I don't know what chipset or sensor that camera is based on but the video looks comparable to many 4k cameras. The thing is many action cameras are based on the Allwinner V3 and V3S chipset. Many claim to have the V3 but in fact have the V3S. The V3S chipset does 720p at 60fps and 1080p at 30 fps but many action cameras upscale the 720p 60fps to 1080p 60fps and the 1080p30fps to 4k30fps. So possibly what Akaso have done there is be honest rather than lie about its specification end result better results, longer battery life and more storage capacity for video because it doesn't upscale.

D

Deleted member 33385

I've ridden with a ghost-x for over 2 years , I clamp under my handle bars.
Very easy to use , 5 hour battery, lens revolves to set horizon, wifi link so can download to your phone or use as a viewfinder. Buy SD card to suit your needs. Records in 1080p 30fps. Also has settings to work as a camera with a single shot ,multi burst or timer. Comes with helmet mounts in the box.

View attachment 39917
View attachment 39919
Must say, Ireally like the way the Ghost X keeps recording continuously, until it runs out of USB power! The trouble is, it's not waterproof without a case, which doesn't have an aperture for USB power. But all of these action cameras thus far available (including the GoPros) stink to varying degrees in low light numberplate recording - essential for all those drunken and coked up hit and runs (I'm referring to the drivers).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Must say, Ireally like the way the Ghost X keeps recording continuously, until it runs out of USB power! The trouble is, it's not waterproof without a case, which doesn't have an aperture for USB power. But all of these action cameras thus far available (including the GoPros) stink to varying degrees in low light numberplate recording - essential for all those drunken and coked up hit and runs (I'm referring to the drivers).

you could stick that or ur helmet but might be a bit heavy with a lens on it and a pc from currys is not going to cut it rendering those files lol.

D

Deleted member 33385

you could stick that or ur helmet but might be a bit heavy with a lens on it and a pc from currys is not going to cut it rendering those files lol.
Yes, two of those please for 3D lol! I only ever make my own PCs, by "Make", I mean assemble, it's not like any of us are wiring together logic gates at nanoscale. My latest PC could probably cut it, if I got a much bigger solid state disk to play back the absolutely humungous RAW files that beauty would produce. Actually, I'd need to upgrade my monitor and video card too. That's exactly the sort of camera they hire to stick to cars and people for movie car chases and stunts while carrying massive insurance, and often destroying them. The new sensor Samsung is using on it's new phones might make it into action cameras. Not many companies making their own sensors, a handful really, at a price point and scale which is interesting to other camera manufacturers. Maybe I'll perch my ancient DSLR on my helmet...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you will need something EPYC to run that tho ;) and i think 4 of them together can do 200gb sec but you will need 1tb of ram lol.

D

Deleted member 33385

you will need something EPYC to run that tho ;) and i think 4 of them together can do 200gb sec but you will need 1tb of ram lol.
Funnily enough, I was watching Hans Zimmer talk through a tour of his studio (Studio Cribs Youtube) and he has 324TB RAM on his PC. Not sure you'd need all that for 8k video.The CPU is only important up to a point, not the biggest bottleneck when editing or viewing hi-res video - my now out of date 4 year old beast of yesteryear would do. You might be able to get away with RAID using mass market SSDs. I bet that camera has decent low light performance... Maybe I should try a Lytro, focus after shooting for a numberplate in the dark?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lytro

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: pentiumofborg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0035_02.JPG

was going to build a thread ripper pc but could not get a 3090 as need 60fps over 3 4k displays and can only just do it and have a 4k 55inc tv to go on the wall as well ddr5 out next year so going for that and the new tr chip with new socket i think : )

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 39941

was going to build a thread ripper pc but could not get a 3090 as need 60fps over 3 4k displays and can only just do it and have a 4k 55inc tv to go on the wall as well ddr5 out next year so going for that and the new tr chip with new socket i think : )
I KNEW you wre a musician! I have a lot of mates who are well into their mad spec machines and I always tell them: Don't buy boutique! Buy server level tech like Zimmer! He simply went to HP with a suitcase full of cash, but the likes of us can use Supermicro multisocket boards to build monsters with crazy RAM, if we've got the budget and I certainly don't. My i7 4790 is mostly used for work databases but I make the odd horrible noise - Ridley Scott used one my jingles recently, without my permission. Long story.

Don't you need the something like the latest nVidia and AMD video cards to make much of what you want happen? It's expensive being on the bleeding edge... Glad I only make databases, although the machines for running those can be monsterous too.

4K for workflow is overrated, it's much more sensible to use multi monitor setups. Plus sound reflections from a huge screen like that is the last thing you need in a studio. You're right though: 55 inch minimum for 4k work.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I KNEW you wre a musician! I have a lot of mates who are well into their mad spec machines and I always tell them: Don't buy boutique! Buy server level tech like Zimmer! He simply went to HP with a suitcase full of cash, but the likes of us can use Supermicro multisocket boards to build monsters with crazy RAM, if we've got the budget and I certainly don't. My i7 4790 is mostly used for work databases but I make the odd horrible noise - Ridley Scott stole one my jingles recently. Long story.

Don't you need the something like the latest nVidia and AMD video cards to make much of what you want happen? It's expensive being on the bleeding edge... Glad I only make databases, although the machines for running those can be monsterous too.
I KNEW you wre a musician! I have a lot of mates who are well into their mad spec machines and I always tell them: Don't buy boutique! Buy server level tech like Zimmer! He simply went to HP with a suitcase full of cash, but the likes of us can use Supermicro multisocket boards to build monsters with crazy RAM, if we've got the budget and I certainly don't. My i7 4790 is mostly used for work databases but I make the odd horrible noise - Ridley Scott stole one my jingles recently. Long story.

i just want it all performance wise and want to game on NVIDIA surround 4k 60fps on 3 monitors locked ill just have to wait ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no but it is funny when he drops a 10k cpu on the floor and try to glue it back together to see all the ram lol he even broke that plastic bit ripping it apart that thing must cost 100k!

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 39941

The Genelecs are pretty serious, do you make club/dance music of some sort? Single threaded performance is better on Intel, AMDs struggle with VST plugins, but they're faster with multithreaded, which doesn't help with most VST plugins.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there mastering monitors but back then i used mostly outboard equipment as computers did all the midi stuff and used outboard fx compressors ect but thats all long gone i just kept the speakers for my transformers to live on these days.

cant say i miss the s5000 sampler the fkn manual was the size of the yellow pages lol.