Adding front & rear lights to E-bike

JohnDaBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2020
I have recently completed a converting a 25 year old Specialized Hard rock using a Tongsheng TSDZ2. The kit came with a Y-type dual speed sensor socket & cabling to add front & rear lights. I have purchased an AXA rear lights but the cabling supplied has different types of push-on connectors which are too small for the AXA light. Please could anyone share details of "Standard" connectors?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need to be very careful when connecting lights to an ebike's electrics. If you overload the supply, you can do serious damage. Make sure you understand how much power the system can supply and the ratings of the lights.

IMHO, it's much better to use an ordinary LED headlight powered from a rechargeable pack, and you can use any AA cell powered LED rear light.

Maybe use that system for a low powered rear light, but get a rechargeable one for the front, or use a low-powered one on the front just to be seen at night and add the rechargeable one when you need to see where you're going.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and JohnDaBike

JohnDaBike

Jun 6, 2020
The female spade connector on the TSDZ2 lighting cable are 3mm. The male connector on the AXA is 5mm . See attached 20200712_112048.jpg

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
They don't look like male spades to me. Are they springy? Possibly designed to accept and clamp a bare cable?
No instructions with the light?

JohnDaBike

Jun 6, 2020
The male connector on the AXA is definitely not a normal spade male connector. It appears to be a spring 'U' shape with holes to accept some sort of locking arrangement. No instructions and nothing on the AXA website. 20200712_111924.jpg

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
I'm certain someone here will confirm soon though my guess is you'll have to strip 10mm of cable and poke it through the hole before pushing the terminal in or trapping the cable somehow. Not great if you're exposing it to rain.

Reactions: JohnDaBike

JohnDaBike

Jun 6, 2020
So I received an email from AXA explaining that the bare twisted wires are simply inserted & secured from beneath the terminals .
Installed the lighting cable harness to the AXA Slim rear light under the pannier rack with cable ties and connected up to the terminals. Added some clear silicon sealant to complete the install.
Got a Busch & Muller AVY LED front light for £16.95.
They seem to have increased since my purchase.
Once completing the install I tested the lights. I was really pleased with the outcome.
The VLCD5 provides DRL and full output switching. The B&M AVY was 40 Lux and had it's own switch as I was not sure how the VLCD5 would allow me to switch off the front light during the day. The AXA rear light offers the DRL or full controlled from the VLCD5. Both lights only cost £25 total are permanently secured to the bike and are probably so cheap that it's not worth the effort for any Tealeaf to bother nicking them. I wanted simple permanently fixed lights so that I only had one main battery to charge and worry about. They meet the German standard for E-Bike lighting so I am well pleased with the outcome.
20200715_150046.jpg20200715_150123.jpg20200715_150100.jpg

Pannier & new pump have been fitted next on the list are V-Brakes.
P.S.
Thoroughly enjoying my cycling again touring around my beloved Dyfed ( Pembrokeshire)

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
So I received an email from AXA explaining that the bare twisted wires are simply inserted & secured from beneath the terminals .
Installed the lighting cable harness to the AXA Slim rear light under the pannier rack with cable ties and connected up to the terminals. Added some clear silicon sealant to complete the install.
Got a Busch & Muller AVY LED front light for £16.95.
They seem to have increased since my purchase.
Once completing the install I tested the lights. I was really pleased with the outcome.
The VLCD5 provides DRL and full output switching. The B&M AVY was 40 Lux and had it's own switch as I was not sure how the VLCD5 would allow me to switch off the front light during the day. The AXA rear light offers the DRL or full controlled from the VLCD5. Both lights only cost £25 total are permanently secured to the bike and are probably so cheap that it's not worth the effort for any Tealeaf to bother nicking them. I wanted simple permanently fixed lights so that I only had one main battery to charge and worry about. They meet the German standard for E-Bike lighting so I am well pleased with the outcome.
View attachment 36958View attachment 36959View attachment 36960

Pannier & new pump have been fitted next on the list are V-Brakes.
P.S.
Thoroughly enjoying my cycling again touring around my beloved Dyfed ( Pembrokeshire)
That's encouraging...I was undecided about the 6v supply's ability to power a decent headlight so am glad to see that it does!

I was looking at a Spanninga one of the same lux but it wasn't that cheap!

May I ask though, is the Amazon link definitely the one you bought, as that is a dynamo one for AC which according to B&M won't work with a DC supply? Does it have two sets of terminals on it ? (Power in + power out for a taillight)

JohnDaBike

Jun 6, 2020
Yes the one I purchased has gone up in price .
Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ AVY N LED Front Light Black 162RN
It has "+ &-" IN and "+&-" OUT. But you do not need the OUT to the rear light because the lighting cable that comes as part of the TDSZ2 Kit is a "Y" cable. It has a plug for the dual socket with the speed sensor then it splits into two cables one for the front and one for the rear lights. It means that there is only one cable going to the front light with two 3mm female spade connectors so less wiring along the frame. I sealed off the "+&-" OUT connectors with some silicon sealant and applied some around the spade connectors to waterproof and strengthen the cabling. The VLCD5 offers a DRL & Full beam control of the lights plus you can use the integral switch on the back of the B&M AVY front light to switch it off separately.
Still not heard from anyone on here whether I should have fitted a fuse!

Reactions: Swizz

Nellie

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2020

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
Just fitted a 48V TSDZ2 to my cargo bike and looking at lights to run off the system and be controlled from the head unit. My multimeter has gone walkies so can anyone tell me what voltage the system actually puts out on the supplied splitter taking off the speed sensor?

Thanks

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Just fitted a 48V TSDZ2 to my cargo bike and looking at lights to run off the system and be controlled from the head unit. My multimeter has gone walkies so can anyone tell me what voltage the system actually puts out on the supplied splitter taking off the speed sensor?

Thanks
6v. I was warned off running any kind of useful lights off it though as it is low current.
Not many lights are rated at 48v unfortunately - I was hankering after a Spanning a but it wasn't to be. I have fitted some 48v eBike lights off Amazon that are approved for Germany. The headlight is supposedly 40lux but I haven't tested them yet. My intention with these were to make them switchable from the Tongsheng display by wiring them through a 6v relay but as the headlight has a switch on the back am just going with that for simplicity.

Reactions: Peddlin' Pedro

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
6v. I was warned off running any kind of useful lights off it though as it is low current.
Not many lights are rated at 48v unfortunately - I was hankering after a Spanning a but it wasn't to be. I have fitted some 48v eBike lights off Amazon that are approved for Germany. The headlight is supposedly 40lux but I haven't tested them yet. My intention with these were to make them switchable from the Tongsheng display by wiring them through a 6v relay but as the headlight has a switch on the back am just going with that for simplicity.
Thank you. Where are you/planning to taking power from for your 48v light?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A lot of the STVZO lights up to 120lux on Aliexp have an integral buck converter for use 6v - 60v and should be suitable to use, current draw about 1a.