Adding suspension & comfort to a 20" folder (Kuo)

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Hi Guys,

A couple of months ago I treated myself to a second electric bike as I needed one that was portable. Got a pretty good deal on an A2B Kuo and it's thus far proved to be a great little bike. I've mainly used it on grass, tarmac & fairly smooth paths but it has no suspension at all and I'm hoping to use it on gravel tracks & towpaths too. I have ME/CFS so comfort is a big priority whilst also keeping the bike as lightweight as possible.

I've searched through the forums and am thinking that Big Apple (20"x2.0") or Fat Frank tyres might be a good place to start to make the bike more comfortable? Assuming they'll fit as the forks are fairly narrow. Do either of these have reasonable grip or are they more of a road tyre?

Also, I've got a Velo Plush saddle on my other bike (Oxygen Diva) and that's more comfy than the one on the Kuo but am wondering if a sprung/suspension type saddle would be worth considering?

I'm possibly thinking of a suspension seat post tho not sure if the tyres & saddle would be enough and a springy post would be overkill? Possibly the cheaper zoom style? Am not sure how I'd get on with the movement of the well reviewed Suntour NCX...and also, I'm short in the leg so don't want anything that raises the saddle too high.

Lastly, I'd like to add some soft gel handlebar grips, the flat type that you can rest your hands on. Any suggestions? And can they be cut down as I've got a twist throttle on the RH side?

Thanks

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
A regular suspension seat post, a gel saddle and comfort handlebar grips made a difference for me. :)

You can find them all on the bay of E.

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
regular suspension seat post
LeighPing, when you say a regular seat post do you mean the pogo stick type ones? I've just looked on Ebay and seen one for £12.95. Cheap as chips. There are different sizes with only a mm or two between them - call me daft but do you just measure the diameter of the tube as accurately as possible? I can't see any measurement marked on the post itself...

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
LeighPing, when you say a regular seat post do you mean the pogo stick type ones? I've just looked on Ebay and seen one for £12.95. Cheap as chips. There are different sizes with only a mm or two between them - call me daft but do you just measure the diameter of the tube as accurately as possible? I can't see any measurement marked on the post itself...
Yes, the pogo type. My bike frame seatpost hole (inner diameter 30.9mm) was too big for my seatpost. So I used a shim to rectify that. Here's some pics that will give you an idea how to measure it all.

DSC00875.JPG

DSC00877.JPG

DSC00881a.jpg

27.2mm seatpost.

DSC00883.JPG

30.9 frame seat tube.

DSC00886.JPG

Inserted into frame using the reducer shim.

DSC00894.JPG

Reducer shim link, if required.

• Informative
Reactions: Cricket

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Well, thank you very much for that!

After some tape measure action & a closer inspection I see there are some markings on the bottom of the post and it says 31.8mm. I assumed it would be 27mm for some reason. If I can't get a bouncy seat post in that size I'll look into the shim link...

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I have Schwalbe Big Apple tyres on my Sahel Compacts. They do add some comfort but are not an off-road tyre. I wouldn't recommend them for poor surfaces.

Cricket

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks for the feedback Jonah. I was all set to order some but will hold off for now. I can't stand the feeling of poor grip on a loose surface...impossible to relax and enjoy the ride. I've got 20"x1.75" Kenda Khan on the bike atm. They're ok but a little narrow I think, especially on a small bike as it tends to be a bit skittish.

Does a comfortable 20" tyre that grips well on gravel exist...surely it must! :)

• Informative