Adding Throttle To E-Plus Bike??

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I have owned an electric mountain bike for many years and, other than the usual expenses, it really was very reliable. Because I am getting old and finding it a little heavy I decided to sell this and replace it with a much smaller E-Plus Commute electric bike. This is much better for my needs and much lighter but the problem is that it doesn't have a separate throttle control which my mountain bike did. It is now proving quite difficult to pedal due to arthritis in my right leg so I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to add a throttle control to this machine??

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Probably, but you'll probably need to change the controller. You have to show us what you've got.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for the reply. Not entirely sure what you mean?
Your bike has a control system that comprises a box of tricks with wires coming out of it that is the thing that controls the motor, a sensor that tells it when your pedalling and maybe an interface where you can adjust the power. The box of tricks that sits in the compartment that the battery clips to might or might not have a connector for a throttle. If it does, all you need to do is connect the three throttle wires in the right sequence. If not, you have to replace everything I mentioned with a different set, which will cost from £40 to £80, depending on whether you want a nice or an adequate control system.

The motor has a standard connector that can connect to just about any of the regular control systems. Likewise the battery is universal.

For more detailed advice, you would have to show exactly what you have in respect to those parts mentioned above, which means dismantling the box by the battery, which you have to do anyway to see if it has a throttle connector.

Reactions: Tony1951

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Your bike has a control system that comprises a box of tricks with wires coming out of it that is the thing that controls the motor, a sensor that tells it when your pedalling and maybe an interface where you can adjust the power. The box of tricks that sits in the compartment that the battery clips to might or might not have a connector for a throttle. If it does, all you need to do is connect the three throttle wires in the right sequence. If not, you have to replace everything I mentioned with a different set, which will cost from £40 to £80, depending on whether you want a nice or an adequate control system.

The motor has a standard connector that can connect to just about any of the regular control systems. Likewise the battery is universal.

For more detailed advice, you would have to show exactly what you have in respect to those parts mentioned above, which means dismantling the box by the battery, which you have to do anyway to see if it has a throttle connector.
Thank you for that information. I understand what you mean now. I am conversant with some of these controller boxes as I've replaced these on a couple of occasions on my earlier mountain bike. I will strip it down at some point soon and see what surprises lie therein?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you for that information. I understand what you mean now. I am conversant with some of these controller boxes as I've replaced these on a couple of occasions on my earlier mountain bike. I will strip it down at some point soon and see what surprises lie therein?
Please let us know because it's always useful for other people.