Advice for a heavy rider

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
As I've stated before on here, I see no point in buying an ebike and me doing all the work. I switch it on, select power level 5 and off I go. I do my thing and the hamsters in the back wheel do theirs. We seem to get along fine. Sometimes my thing is to try and beat my previous fastest time and usually after trying I find the hamsters bring me home while I sit lazy and relaxed.

I also have a 'normal' bike and when I'm out on that I realise why I like both my ebikes so much.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
As I've stated before on here, I see no point in buying an ebike and me doing all the work. I switch it on, select power level 5 and off I go. I do my thing and the hamsters in the back wheel do theirs. We seem to get along fine. Sometimes my thing is to try and beat my previous fastest time and usually after trying I find the hamsters bring me home while I sit lazy and relaxed.

I also have a 'normal' bike and when I'm out on that I realise why I like both my ebikes so much.
Each to his own.

Or as GB Shaw put it slightly more elegantly: "Do not do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You may not have the same tastes."

Reactions: Croxden

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Each to his own.

Or as GB Shaw put it slightly more elegantly: "Do not do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You may not have the same tastes."
Indeed and what works for me, well, it works for me. ;)

As to different tastes, I have different tastes from myself depending on how I feel when I set out. Sometimes I try to see what top speed I can achieve, 35mph on the flat with the Typhoon so far, sometimes I like to see how far I can go on one battery, 45 miles on the Tourer with a 10ah battery and sometimes I go out to play. You can read my post somewhere about racing a bus uphill. Most times though, I switch it on dial up the power and off I go. :)

Reactions: Deleted member 4366
D

Deleted member 4366

Same as me. Sometimes I'll do 20 miles before even switching on, and then use the power to get me up the final 5 nile climb. Other times, I'm dashing down the shops to get something. Other times still, I just like to amble through the countryside with little effort so that I can enjoy the scenery and fresh air. I always pedal at least gently except when I've been on a long ride and my back-side is hurting. It's nice to take a break by standing on the pedals and letting the motor do the work while circulation is being restored. That must be a bit of a problem for bikes without a throttle.

Reactions: flecc

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
It's nice to take a break by standing on the pedals and letting the motor do the work while circulation is being restored. That must be a bit of a problem for bikes without a throttle.
Not in hilly areas it isn't.

Yidakipaul

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2014
If your after the Big Bear new stock should be in this week. Have reserved mine.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That must be a bit of a problem for bikes without a throttle.
Dave,

It's what we Bosch owners call proper cycling - throttles are for mopeds.

To be serious, I find the terrain varies enough to stand while freewheeling, which is fine for reducing bottom pressure.

At one time, I would have liked a throttle for a breather from pedalling.

But as I get a bit fitter, I find I can get enough rest from freewheeling.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If your after the Big Bear new stock should be in this week. Have reserved mine.
Do you know if the new stock does have the rewound motor giving better low speed torque?

I put myself on the reserve list for one last week and Hattie told me just now that I stand a good chance of getting one of this batch. But she isn't very technical and couldn't tell me if they do have the different windings or not.

Yidakipaul

May 18, 2014
Do you know if the new stock does have the rewound motor giving better low speed torque?

I put myself on the reserve list for one last week and Hattie told me just now that I stand a good chance of getting one of this batch. But she isn't very technical and couldn't tell me if they do have the different windings or not.
No idea about the winding as I also dealt with Hattie.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Woosh upgraded all their BMS this year to high discharge rate (20A for 10AH, 28A for 15AH battery), basically let more current through the motor when climbing hills. Last year, the BMS was set to 15A for 10AH, 20A for 15AH batteries. The motor winding on the Big Bear remains same.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCade

Yidakipaul

May 18, 2014
Woosh upgraded all their BMS this year to high discharge rate (2C, 28A for 15AH battery), basically let more current through the motor when climbing hills. Last year, the BMS was set to 1.5C (20A for 15AH batteries).
How much of a difference will that make?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I guess the Big Bear will climb 15% on throttle alone with the new BMS. That was previously only possible with the CD.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I guess the Big Bear will climb 15% on throttle alone with the new BMS.
Which, in my non-technical parlance, is a lot of grunt.

Anyone wanting more should buy a petrol moped.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that the record's got stuck. Someone give it a shove, please.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Reactions: NZgeek and trex

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Woosh upgraded all their BMS this year to high discharge rate (20A for 10AH, 28A for 15AH battery), basically let more current through the motor when climbing hills. Last year, the BMS was set to 15A for 10AH, 20A for 15AH batteries. The motor winding on the Big Bear remains same.
Thanks trex. That's what I wanted to know.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
That is over 1kw :eek:, it makes the ezee sound a bit anaemic and that pulls like a truck.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That is over 1kw :eek:, it makes the ezee sound a bit anaemic and that pulls like a truck.
Not true. The Ezee have 20A controller, Big Bear has 17A Lishui controller. The new BMS avoids battery sagging on hills.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I guess you can solder the shunt...