Advice for disabled rider on steep climbs - realistic?

G

g_431426

Fascinating thanks.
Plugging in some average power numbers from Strava for both assisted and unassisted climbs, it looks like I can manage about a 15% gradient with my Bosch Activeline before I will drop below 9kph. Will have to attempt some real world tests shortly, but that seems about right...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Well I managed to sustain 75W @ 60 rpm near the limit of my safe HR, which I'm really pleased with :D very low of course compared to even an unfit healthy person, but better than I feared! I can pedal a faster cadence, but at lower power and 60 rpm felt comfortable.
If you add those Watts to the power of the motor Woosh recommended (48V SWX02) and use a MTB triple you should be OK.

It sounds like you have a good sense of balance (unless your disability has robbed you of that) so using PAS alone lower climbing speeds are possible. That is the big downside of throttles - you need to go faster to keep balance - so you need more power...

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
not sure why people are claiming you have to have one mid-drive motor over another. I am on the edge of the Peaks here too. If you happen to be in Sheffield and want to try a Shimano eMTB out for size, send me a message. It has all the power you could need and easily gets up the steepest hills here without engaging the largest cogs, so has plenty to spare if you have to take it easy!

Reactions: stuck-indoors

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Doesn't mean that many of them wouldn't serve the OP's requirements quite adequately. Until someone tries the options out in real-life situations and evaluates what actually works for their specific needs, it's all just conjecture and owner-bias
All very true, and without knowing what the disability is even more so.

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
I have cardiac and joint problems, my CX Bosche powered bike has been really fantastic. Getting the hang of gears/modes/cadence has been interesting, but it seems I can get up most things without risking a meltdown in some part of my body