Advice Needed Please, Bought New E-Bike But Doesn't Work

NYC

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
Hello

I really hope someone can help me. I bought a few e-bikes for me and my family from someone was selling liquidation stock and having never owned one before I don't know why they don't work. Have new battery, fully charged but no power, they are all the same not one bike has any power. I may just be doing something silly and I'm worried sick I've lost all my money on bikes that are faulty. Hoping some of you can spare some knowledge.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a link to what the bike is would help or some pics of it.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi NYC sincerely hope your problems are solved and believe once you post pics with a bit more information on type, then the Ebike gurus will advise .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
are the battery lights on when it is in the bike?

NYC

May 24, 2020
When the battery is in situ on the bike there are no battery lights. But with the key still turned to on position, when I push the red on/off button (top of the battery) then the battery lights flicker once but very dim. If I turn the key to off position and then press the battery on/off button, all the green lights come on until I take my finger off the on/off button.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I assume you have keys with the batteries to switch on the power.

Does the computer/display on the handlebars switch on to indicate power is getting through?

NYC

May 24, 2020
Hi, yes I have the keys. Nothing comes on, not even the display. It's for all the bikes not just one. I know the battery is charged fully as the red light on the (transformer?) turned to green after 4 hours. The positive and negative markings match up to the bike, the only thing that not 100% is the battery has 4 slots and the bike has 2 prongs but the battery company said this was fine. Any ideas?

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
When the battery is in situ on the bike there are no battery lights. But with the key still turned to on position, when I push the red on/off button (top of the battery) then the battery lights flicker once but very dim. If I turn the key to off position and then press the battery on/off button, all the green lights come on until I take my finger off the on/off button.
It sounds as though the battery on/off labels are the wrong way around. If the battery is switched off then the LED charge indicator shouldn't light (or just once then fade). Will the bike switch on when the battery is in the 'off' position, as marked on the battery?

NYC

May 24, 2020
I just tried, it didn't work. I think you misunderstood one part, the battery LED comes on when it's set to off but only if I push the red on/off button otherwise there are no green LED's lit up. If I don't touch the red on/off button and I turn to key to all positions, no LED lights come on or flicker. Hope that made sense.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use a meter and tell us the actual battery voltage reading not how many and what colour the led lights are.
Also check the two battery connections that line up with two connections (prongs) on the bikes base plate and that the relevant battery connection have voltage on them. the reading should be 41.5 - 42v with a meter.

Last edited:
Reactions: soundwave

NYC

May 24, 2020
Use a meter and tell us the actual battery voltage reading not how many and what colour the led lights are.
Thanks Nealh. I'm afraid I don't have a meter voltage reader nor would I know how to use one, I'm just a regular Mother of 3 with no electronics knowledge, no guy to help either sorry. I'm hoping there can be an easier solution?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The two outer ones might be pack voltage +/- and the two middle ones charge voltage some bike allow charging in situ so when you connect the charger it is at the base near to where those connections are and uses the two inner ones for charging.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Nealh. I'm afraid I don't have a meter voltage reader nor would I know how to use one, I'm just a regular Mother of 3 with no electronics knowledge, no guy to help either sorry. I'm hoping there can be an easier solution?
Not without confirmation of actual voltage read out, a meter is about £5 on ebay and we can direct/show you how to easily use one.
Also a meter will indicate if the two battery connections that line up with the two bike prongs are actually showing voltage. It might also just be a fuse that has blown.
The simpls fact is, if the bike display isn't turning on then power isn't getting thru.
It may be a wrong connection/plate connection or could be a simple fuse issue.
The bottom prong/connection plate may not be lining up with the correct connection on the battery but you can't go willy nilly changing the plate connection/orientation without having a meter to confirm battery readings/polarity as you could do a lot more damage.

With ebike power issues the only way forward is to own a meter to carry out basic checks.

Last edited:

NYC

May 24, 2020
The two outer ones might be pack voltage +/- and the two middle ones charge voltage some bike allow charging in situ so when you connect the charger it is at the base near to where those connections are and uses the two inner ones for charging.
I'm not really sure what you mean so my reply may be not completely what you are asking. I have only charged the battery once with the charging adaptor it came with in the box, plugged in the wall for 4 hours until the red light went green. The two prongs on the bike slots in both outer connections under the battery. In the box was also a 4 prong and some black and red wire, I guess incase people needed to change it. The battery company said there's no need as the 2 prong will work the same as 4 prong.

NYC

May 24, 2020
Not without confirmation of actual voltage read out, a meter is about £5 on ebay and we can direct/show you how to easily use one.
Also a meter will indicate if the two battery connections that line up with the two bike prongs are actually showing voltage. It might also just be a fuse that has blown.
The simpls fact is, if the bike display isn't turning on then power isn't getting thru.
It may be a wrong connection/plate connection or could be a simple fuse issue.
Oh okay. If I get one maybe you guys in the know can help me use it to get the reading. Would it be alright to send me a link to a cheap one on ebay, I have no idea what to buy!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
There's lots of info/past issues about these Bearprint bikes in the archives: These bikes appear to date from 2010-2012ish, so if the OP has just bought them, they've been sitting around for some time. Common issues seem to be with the keyswitch and controller. Any parts if needed seem to be generic Chinese, so likely cheaply fixable whatever the issue turns out to be.

Do a forum search on Bearprint.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There's lots of info/past issues about these Bearprint bikes in the archives: These bikes appear to date from 2010-2012ish, so if the OP has just bought them, they've been sitting around for some time. Common issues seem to be with the keyswitch and controller. Any parts if needed seem to be generic Chinese, so likely cheaply fixable whatever the issue turns out to be.

Do a forum search on Bearprint.
Lets hope the batteries aren't 2010/2012 as well then or they might well be scrap.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oh okay. If I get one maybe you guys in the know can help me use it to get the reading. Would it be alright to send me a link to a cheap one on ebay, I have no idea what to buy!

Reactions: NYC

NYC

May 24, 2020
Lets hope the batteries aren't 2010/2012 as well then or they might well be scrap.
Haha, they were made this year. The battery company has no connection to the bike company but not to say there isn't a problem with the battery and the bikes are all okay.....