Help! Advice on a commuter bike

varakir

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2022
Shortly changing jobs and my commute will be manageable by bike (4 miles each way) - however it's mostly downhill on the way there and i'm looking at an ebike for aiding the climb home. I can slowly but surely manage the return trip on a regular bike, but don't think i'm up to it everyday. Route i'll be taking is a mix of road and bridleway.

Budget is up to £3k and I've been looking at the Cowboy 3, Ribble Hybrid AL-e, Ampler Stout, Haibike Trekking 4, Cube reaction 500, Wisper Wayfarer, Volt connect and the Canyon Roadlite:eek:n so far.

I like the idea of something light, but also like the idea of having more torque. I have ridden and maintained trail/dirtjump bikes for a long time, so having something I can service myself (mechanically) would be nice. I'd prefer to get a ready to go bike, but not completely closed to the idea of converting something.

There's a shop locally so i will try a few out next week, but can't try them all. There's so much info out there and the more i read the more conflicted i get - so would appreciate your opinions!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If you can wait until later In July….

Maybe the Tailwind? Loads of Torque and very nimble! With or without rack and mudguards. From £1,799.00.

All the best, David

Last edited:

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Would a folding ebike be an advantage or not, for your intended use. Do you have somewhere safe to store a regular bike during the day?

Not sure you need to buy a £3,000 ebike for a four mile commute, unless you plan to use it for general bike rides as well.
One of the cheaper ebikes should do the job just fine.

varakir

Apr 30, 2022
If you can wait until later In July….

Maybe the Tailwind? Loads of Torque and very nimble! With or without rack and mudguards. From £1,799.00.

All the best, David
I'll be needing it from August, looking around now as there's some longer wait times on certain bikes. This looks like a really nice option, love the geometry.

Would a folding ebike be an advantage or not, for your intended use. Do you have somewhere safe to store a regular bike during the day?

Not sure you need to buy a £3,000 ebike for a four mile commute, unless you plan to use it for general bike rides as well.
One of the cheaper ebikes should do the job just fine.
Storage shouldn't be an issue. 3k is the upper limit and i'm definitely happy to spend less. If i'm riding it at least 5 times a week i figure it should be something I really like. I have a kona trail bike that i don't ride enough, but hoping the regular commute will encourage me/improve my fitness levels enough to get out more on days off.

varakir

Apr 30, 2022
To be honest i hadn't even looked at folding options as it's not essential, but that looks like a lovely bit of kit and would be nice to chuck in the boot if going further afield.

Feel like i'd miss the feel of the full bike frame on the downhill though. I'll see if i can try a folder at the shop as well to get an idea.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
The bike is great fun on all types of riding. l did 18 miles of mixed on/off road on the Mirider yesterday.

lt's slower than my regular e-mtb of course, but it's not bad at all considering it's a compact folding bike with a single speed transmission and 16" wheels.

Here's the ride on both bikes, the e-mtb is a full suspension Kona with a mid mounted Shimano E8000 and 12 speed transmission

47A8650B-E440-4FD9-B67B-A0958DE40B77.png75022031-48B8-4659-A14A-D8A4FFE5C253.png

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If you fancy a folder and have time you may be interested in the new Tailwind fold. We will have samples by the end of the summer. Elestisizer suspension and importantly 20” wheels with 43V system and up to 460Wh capacity. With 50Nm torque it’ll be one to beat!

You in saw it here first!!

atb David

Reactions: lightning

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The best small bike I have seen and not bettered for weight I believe by anyone, is one of Mike Burrows (A bike genius in design). The fixed frame 2D was pretty good ultra light CF frame with his signature one sides hub/brakes and simple 90 degree bar rotation for storage against a flat wall.
He made five samples hoping for one of the big manufacturers to take the design on and expand the availability. Like the 8 freight it did make it into production for a while in Taiwan and the TCR bike concept became massive with Giant taking up his design work.

Last edited:

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
If you fancy a folder and have time you may be interested in the new Tailwind fold. We will have samples by the end of the summer. Elestisizer suspension and importantly 20” wheels with 43V system and up to 460Wh capacity. With 50Nm torque it’ll be one to beat!

View attachment 46802
View attachment 46803

atb David
Looks very nice, l would definitely want one, and the 20" wheels will be great, what's the price likely to be?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

View attachment 46802
View attachment 46803

atb David
Does 43V mean 12S?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The best small bike I have seen and not bettered for weight I believe by anyone, is one of Mike Burrows (A bike genius in design). The fixed frame D2 was pretty good ultra light CF frame with his signature one sides hub/brakes and simple 90 degree bar rotation for storage against a flat wall.
He made five samples hoping for one of the big manufacturers to take the design on and expand the availability. Like the 8 freight it did make it into production for a while in Taiwan and the TCR bike concept became massive with Giant taking up his design work.
Is it this one?

I like the look of the Burrows Ratcatcher too

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

View attachment 46802
View attachment 46803

atb David
Looks good - can the rims accommodate 2.125" Big Ben tyres? Also, I'm curious as to how you have tested frame strength - some folding bikes snap in half. Fiido recently had that issue with one of their (magnesium framed) folding bikes. Was frame strength calculated in software, or was it destruction tested?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Not sure yet but with the 43V and hi torque motor in the region of £2K.

All the best, David
Put me down for one, message me on here when they are on sale.

The Mirider is actually for my wife, and l will also need one. Yours looks perfect for what l want, with the larger wheels, more power, and a bit of suspension.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mike is a bloke you would love to speak to and be around, just like Jimmy at ebkebatteries such an interesting bloke to chat to almost infectious as they are so dedicated to there sphere of work . I suspect like Jimmy it is life and though work it is also more like a hobby, one can spend hours listening to these guys.
I know when I visited Jimmy with my brother, he was so interesting to listen too and work seemed secondary when we were there.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A nice little film and some of his workshop with various bits of bikes/frames and a few 8 freights hanging from the joists.
An 8 freight is still one I would like to own.
Veteran-Cycle Club video archive - Mike Burrows with the Burrows 2D - Bing video
Ae you sure? Might your 124kg cargo last week have been quite cumbersome to balance (especially after stops) on the 8freight? You're better off with the CF?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Still a bike I would love to have in the stable, three bags of manure would be fine as would general shopping. The main Cof G is low and proportioned perfectly behind the rider, Mike put a lot of thought in to it, shame only a limit number were produced firstly by him and secondly in Taiwan.
Like the 2D lightweight bike it has the same brake hub single axle concept.
But we ae digressing from the main thread and any MB bikes deserves it's own thread.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Leftfield link is an old one, new 8 freights aren't available and haven't been for some years.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Leftfield link is an old one, new 8 freights aren't available and haven't been for some years.
Leftfield Bikes appear to claim quite the implausibly large variety of bikes available to buy, was never sure about that website, especially because they appear to be located in an expensive part of Canary Wharf... I do look on ebay and Gumfree for the 8freight occasionally, but they do seem to be very rare.