Help! Advice on a commuter bike

varakir

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2022
Shortly changing jobs and my commute will be manageable by bike (4 miles each way) - however it's mostly downhill on the way there and i'm looking at an ebike for aiding the climb home. I can slowly but surely manage the return trip on a regular bike, but don't think i'm up to it everyday. Route i'll be taking is a mix of road and bridleway.

Budget is up to £3k and I've been looking at the Cowboy 3, Ribble Hybrid AL-e, Ampler Stout, Haibike Trekking 4, Cube reaction 500, Wisper Wayfarer, Volt connect and the Canyon Roadlite:eek:n so far.

I like the idea of something light, but also like the idea of having more torque. I have ridden and maintained trail/dirtjump bikes for a long time, so having something I can service myself (mechanically) would be nice. I'd prefer to get a ready to go bike, but not completely closed to the idea of converting something.

There's a shop locally so i will try a few out next week, but can't try them all. There's so much info out there and the more i read the more conflicted i get - so would appreciate your opinions!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Looks good - can the rims accommodate 2.125" Big Ben tyres? Also, I'm curious as to how you have tested frame strength - some folding bikes snap in half. Fiido recently had that issue with one of their (magnesium framed) folding bikes. Was frame strength calculated in software, or was it destruction tested?
Thanks for your interest! So far it’s on paper, tooling is going ahead in the next couple of weeks. So calculations are currently all on “paper”, however we would never put a bike into the market until the frame had been properly stress tested on the bench, we put all or frames through rigorous test procedures before we go into production.

We will be offering the bike with 2” tyres but the frame will accept up to 2.2”

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Leftfield link is an old one, new 8 freights aren't available and haven't been for some years.
Here's a sold 8 freight on ebay, another will turn up sometime:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks for your interest! So far it’s on paper, tooling is going ahead in the next couple of weeks. So calculations are currently all on “paper”, however we would never put a bike into the market until the frame had been properly stress tested on the bench, we put all or frames through rigorous test procedures before we go into production.

We will be offering the bike with 2” tyres but the frame will accept up to 2.2”

All the best, David
Very interesting, thank you - even Giant messed up with the Giant Halfway, which reportedly snapped in half. Presumably they had tested to destruction too, as might have Fiido's recent overfolding to destruction model. Reports of snapping Terns are many.

Wide tyres seem to be a must these days, with the state of our roads. I very often now see bicycles with comfy looking balloon tyres.

Do you have any plans to enter the exciting, expanding and highly lucrative cargo bike market? You'd sell at least two to me and Nealh, if your new cargo bike was very similar to the 8 freight ;)

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Not sure you need to buy a £3,000 ebike for a four mile commute
lol. this is indeed a funny comment.
Mines £5200 and i guess most of my journey's are under 4 miles. Nothing wrong with having a capable quality set of Ewheels under you. No matter what you intend to do with it :cool:

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Yes of course, if you can afford it then why not. For commuting though, bikes get a hard time and often have to be left in public places, plus there's rarely any serious off road, so l wouldn't want a top of the range ebike if a cheaper one would do.

varakir

Apr 30, 2022
Any opinions on the bikes i listed or other recommendations within the price range? I noticed there's a boardman that uses the Fazua system which is quite a bit cheaper than the canyon.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Are you planning to use the bike for anything other than your commute.
And if so, what kind of riding would you be doing.....road, road and trail, off road?

As it will affect what is the best bike for you to get.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Very interesting, thank you - even Giant messed up with the Giant Halfway, which reportedly snapped in half. Presumably they had tested to destruction too, as might have Fiido's recent overfolding to destruction model. Reports of snapping Terns are many.

Wide tyres seem to be a must these days, with the state of our roads. I very often now see bicycles with comfy looking balloon tyres.

Do you have any plans to enter the exciting, expanding and highly lucrative cargo bike market? You'd sell at least two to me and Nealh, if your new cargo bike was very similar to the 8 freight ;)
If available I'd buy a new 8freight style cargo bike

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and Nealh

varakir

Apr 30, 2022
Are you planning to use the bike for anything other than your commute.
And if so, what kind of riding would you be doing.....road, road and trail, off road?

As it will affect what is the best bike for you to get.
Road & some light trail riding if anything. I have a kona shred that i mainly use for singletrack, it's lovely to ride dowhnill but a bit of a tank for just taking out for a ride sometimes.