Advice on bike mainly for commute

Amzi29

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2020
London
Like many others I would like to start cycling into work once we are allowed back out into the world. I have been reading posts and looking online at different bikes and basically have no idea where to start.

I don't currently have any bikes and space has always been a problem. Ideally I would like a folding ebike I can cycle to/from work (about 8 miles each way) and then ideally be able to fold small enough to keep by my desk during the day.

I would like to avoid spending loads and ideally the cheaper the better, but obviously would like to be decent. My thought process is what assuming I keep it up (which I would very much like to do) and when my finances are in a better places I can upgrade if necessary.

I think it's mostly flat, but there is the odd hill to contend with.

I am a 5ft 4" female and weigh about 60kg.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Rambletta:

It's lightweight, it suits your height, it folds, it has suspension seat post for comfortable riding, a propstand, mudguards, proper chainguard for ladies dresses and a luggage rack.
It rides like a big bike, does about 40 miles on a full charge and @ £849 and it suits your budget.

Amzi29

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2020
London
Woosh Rambletta:

It's lightweight, it suits your height, it folds, it has suspension seat post for comfortable riding, a propstand, mudguards, proper chainguard for ladies dresses and a luggage rack.
It rides like a big bike, does about 40 miles on a full charge and @ £849 and it suits your budget.

Thanks. I've seen this one pop up quite a bit, but not checked it out properly so I will do that now.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
8 miles on a small wheel commuter might take some getting used to. Depends on type of roads and traffic though.
Good on you for considering it, have a go anyway and see how you get on even if its just for the good weather days.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
8 miles on a small wheel commuter might take some getting used to.
that depends on the bike.
20" for someone who is 5ft4 is better than 700C wheels.
Bike weight (or rather bike lightweightness) is also more important for someone who is small and light.
The Rambletta has suspension seat post and baloon tyres and Dutch style sit back riding position adding to comfort and it is lighter than most folding e-bikes.
Lots of my customers reported riding 30+ miles on one day with it.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
From experience, I think a hub motor (like Woosh suggests) is a good choice for commuting to work rather than a mid motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think it is perfect for the job in hand, tbh 8 miles isn't very far.