Advice on choosing a bike for commute

Amzi29

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2020
London
Like many others I would like to start cycling into work once we are allowed back out into the world. I have been reading posts and looking online at different bikes and basically have no idea where to start.

I don't currently have any bikes and space has always been a problem. Ideally I would like a folding ebike I can cycle to/from work (8 miles each way) and then ideally be able to fold small enough to keep by my desk during the day. It the also should allow me to take the train part way at certain times etc if needed.

I am usually one to want an all singing and dancing model, but I think that is why I am struggling a bit as I would like to avoid spending loads. Ideally the cheaper the better, but obviously would like to be decent. My thought process is what assuming I keep it up (which I would very much like to do) and when my finances are in a better places I can upgrade if necessary.

I've seen online differing opinions about using a folding bike for a commute of 8 miles, with people advising against it. Is that more to do with the bike choice?

I am a 5ft 4" female in good health. Weigh about 70kg.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.