Advice on converting recumbent trike

reynoldsc07

Just Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Wrexham
Hi.
I have a Mission semi-recumbent trike 21 speed. 20” rear wheels and 16” front.
https://missioncycles.co.uk/product/semi-recumbent/#&gid=1&pid=1
I have energy/stamina issues as I suffer from chronic fatigue. I live in a hilly area. I’m looking for a electric conversion kit that will fit the front hub. I need the option to have the bike to run on its own power with throttle control if I run out of energy. Budget aware as I’m a pensioner. All suggestions welcomed.
Kind regards
Catherine

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: reynoldsc07

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Catherine,
I think you may struggle with a front hub on two counts.
Firstly the 16" wheel doesn't leave much for spokes, I've got a feeling that 20" may be the smallest, could be wrong.
Secondly, if you get one to fit, traction could be an issue, especially on hills with loose or slimey surface, as most of the weight is on the rear wheels.
Can't see if the bottom bracket is suitable but you may need to look into crank drive units such as the Bafang bbso1. Woosh bikes will be worth a shout, they could advise.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A mid drive may be better for a trike with small wheels BBS01 or the 250w 48v TSDZ although torque sensor you can have the throttle as well so best of both worlds in a sense.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A mid drive may be better for a trike with small wheels BBS01 or the 250w 48v TSDZ although torque sensor you can have the throttle as well so best of both worlds in a sense.
You could put a tiny chainwheel on too which would keep top speed below 15 km/h. From the web site:
  • The recumbent style and pedal forward concept is noted for speed, partly due to the improved aerodynamics of having your legs in front of you, which allows for extra ease with pedalling and lowers the centre of gravity
Is it just me or does the idea of speed on one of these things scare you silly too? And feet not clipped in look at the video... :eek:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Catherine,

I can supply a front geared hub kit for your trike.
If you are interested, please email support@wooshbikes.co.uk

Best regards

Tony

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
I have fitted a bbs01 mid drive to a delta trike see my profile pic it is a work in progress the motor fit was the easy part:)
Learning how to get round corners is the fun bit , it is the first time I have had to turn the power down and set the top speed to less than 15mph I started at 10 mph :eek: [max was origanaly 25+]
I have to lean the corners with one of the rear wheels off the ground at speeds over 10mph , the front now has a 4inch wide tyre off a fat bike the last bits to make the rear are on order the smiles per mile are worth it

Mission trikes are easy to convert to front drive I have a step through one nearly re- finished the only bit left is the original frame it is based on a older model that was throttle only so you do not have to pedal
Now fitted with disc brakes and all new modern motor, led lights and 27ah battery it has super long range and the advantage of front drive it will corner with out a problem:D

The usual recumbent with two wheels at the front and one at the rear is far more stable and a mid drive is ok or a twin wheel drive might work
The best option is a front wheel kit it is cheaper , quicker to fit and safer