Advice on Electric Tralier

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The trailer would not be road legal. It also looks pretty dangerous.

It's not something I'd like to use. I would have thought for the cost of the trailer, you could buy a reasonable kit to convert your bike.

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for your reply Tillson, i did wonder but i thought i would ask on here first to see what people thought about the tralier. I have an E-bike i just thought i would try something different.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
That's funny because they said "100+ miles distance" without selling any battery.

I'd say my bike can even do 1000 miles distance, if I buy a big enough battery lol

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I haven't tried using a push trailer, but having used a normal bike trailer I don't think I would like it to be pushing me along. A bicycle with a trailer is in effect an articulated vehicle, like a car with a trailer or a lorry and it's trailer. In these instances it is the vehicle that has the motive power, not the trailer.

I can't think of any instance elsewhere in life where the trailer has the power on it and it pushes the vehicle, which also leads me to think it's not a great idea and you're better off having the motor on your bike.

Regarding legality, I think you would have to stick to the 250w limit for it to be legal here, but its a bit of a grey area

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
About a year or so ago there were quite a few of these advertised on eBay. I watch a couple in BurryPort using one to carry their camping gear whilst they rode on an unassisted tandem. They seemed to be getting on OK but it was only their 2nd day and the cycle path they were using is pretty flat.
I've seen them this year same bike but minus the trailer.

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hiya i did have a powered tralier, i bought it from a memeber on this site, it did push me along and i was really impressed with it. The only fault i had was it was very light and jumped about a bit, it was like a bob trailer with a single wheel, i bought a dahon folder and changed the kit over on to the dahon this works very well and my patner loves it i dont get a look in.
I have been in touch with the seller and this is the email i got back:
Hi Sammy,Yes it is legal as long as you follow the bicycle rules of the road. Many people have purchased and ride on the roads of England with these trailers. 18st is no problem for the trailer. It can push 18st rider up steep hills very easy
He is saying it is legal and has been selling to people in England, are there any other powered trailer's about that are road legal?