Advice on price for montague x50 ezee 48v conversion

Kerrilinator

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2014
Hi everyone, i have read fleccs guide to selling second hand ebikes but am not sure about what to ask for my ebike. It is a montague x50 bike
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/folding-bikes/montague-x50-folding-mountain-bike-18
with a cyclezee 48v 11ah conversion kit installed
http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-conversion-kits.html
I have had it about 4 months and it has only done about 70 miles. I am selling as i plan to build a new bike and need funds for the build. I spent roughly £1500 help with this would be greatly appreciated

D

Deleted member 4366

You should show a photograph or two so that we can see how well the conversion has been done.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The bike might be worth £300 but the electrics will have lost a lot of value.
Should you not canabalise the parts to make your new bike?
You also have to look at what is available new like whoosh etc. as warranted new bikes for under £600, would you spend more on a secondhand home build?
It all pushes the value down for your stuff. Sorry but that's my comment.
Ps you could always get a mug?

Kerrilinator

May 25, 2014
The bike might be worth £300 but the electrics will have lost a lot of value.
Should you not canabalise the parts to make your new bike?
You also have to look at what is available new like whoosh etc. as warranted new bikes for under £600, would you spend more on a secondhand home build?
It all pushes the value down for your stuff. Sorry but that's my comment.
Ps you could always get a mug?

Hi d8ve,
the new build has already been planned and wont use any of the parts on the old bike. I would spend more yes as the battery is worth quite a lot on its own. Cheers for the help

D

Deleted member 4366

Your bike looks quite tidy, but it's the sort of thing that if someone wants something like that, they'll be happy to pay for it, but I suspect that there's a very limited market for it. It's therefore not easy to put a price on it. If it were mine, I'd try about £700. You should get £500 for the kit if you take it off.

Kerrilinator

May 25, 2014
Your bike looks quite tidy, but it's the sort of thing that if someone wants something like that, they'll be happy to pay for it, but I suspect that there's a very limited market for it. It's therefore not easy to put a price on it. If it were mine, I'd try about £700. You should get £500 for the kit if you take it off.
Ok thanks a lot for the help its helped me make my decision :) another question, converted bike kits lose quite a bit of value once the kit has been installed?

D

Deleted member 4366

Generally, yes, but if it's exactly what someone wants and they can see that you're genuine, who knows?

Kerrilinator

May 25, 2014
ill have to wait for the new build as the sale wont be worth doing which is a shame. Thanks for the help getting to grips with the second hand market.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
ps get a mug?
Some one who has no idea, more money than understanding.
Someone out of touch with the market.

Or as D8veh says someone who wants a high speed folding bike to store in there flat as the streets are unsafe.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I try to be honest. And D8veh knows more than me on this subject but we don't appear to differ much.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can always advertise the bike at the price you want for it. There's always a chance that somebody wants a bike exactly like that. My advice was based more on wanting to sell it quickly to get the cash.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
honesty is an admirable trait but only when it comes with tact.
Who am I hurting in this case with my lack of tact?
I offered some advice and had to explain what a mug was?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I reckon £700-£800 if auctioned on ebay .
For comparison, there is a large ready made folding bike from Woosh, called the Zephyr B, B for Big Bear. It has the same BPM motor and controller as the Big Bear, of similar ability as your ezee V2 motor, and 26" wheels like yours. The Zephyr B comes with hydraulic brakes, suspension fork with remote lockout. The price is £899.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b