Advice on storing e-bikes over winter.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi folks, looking for advise on the best method to store a couple of e-bikes over winter as they wont be used, one is a Wisper 905se and the other a Juicy sport click both with minimal mileage. Cheers Steve W....

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Steve, it’s best to leave the batteries just under fully charged. Don’t keep the charger connected. Keep the bikes and batteries in a dry place and top up the batteries for half an hour every 4 to 6 weeks to be on the safe side.

All the best, David

Reactions: JuicyBike
D

Deleted member 4366

Go for a ride to discharge the batteries a bit. Ideal is about half-charged. clean them, then stick them in the garage. That's about it.

Reactions: JuicyBike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
As the two Daves have said above and store dry and cool. But charge at room temperature.

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Is it best to keep the battery inside? I keep mine at around 14 - 20 degrees as I read that I shouldn't keep it in the barn.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I keep my batteries at 38- 39v in the garage cool and cold never freezing, they come inside to room temp before charging.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What happens if a battery freezes?
Lots of theories but mainly it's more to do with storing them at lower voltage hence the recs for storage voltage of about 38v. In the cold they don't hold high voltage as well and sag is more prominent when in use, capacity will be less however once back in use at warmer ambient temps sag is less prominent and capacity recovers.
Proper freezing leve[ for lithium is - 40F, charging should occur at temps above 5 Celsius.

Hot conditions affect more then cold capacity is lost over time and is non recoverable.
I have read that over a year a battery kept fully charged at 25 Celsius will lose 20% capacity over one that isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster