Advice on Wiring

Mattjenkins1990

Pedelecer
May 6, 2015
I plan to mount a bottle battery to the down tube inside the frame running to a hub in the rear wheel. Looking at the battery there is no space inside the controller unit to store the connectors. Having them hanging outside seems to be quite messy.

Does anyone have any advice or pictures on the solutions they have come up with. I was considering cable ties and electrical tape to keep them neat.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
What Kit do you have. The newer/nicer ones have neat waterproof connectors but older/ cheaper ones have a mess of cheap connectors. I use small frame triangle bag to house my controller, all connections and an small booster battery pack)

It looks neat and ismore or less waterproof. And cheap. I do tend to bind up any excess cable with cable ties inside the bag

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I would mount the controller box behind the seat post, hide the connectors inside a large heat sleeve and hide the sleeve under the bottom bracket or behind the seat post.

D

Deleted member 4366

It would help if you told us which controller you have. Is it the one that sits in the base of the round bottle battery?

D

Deleted member 4366

Hang on. You said 20A controller. The ones in the bottom of the cyclindrical batteries are 15A, so I still haven't a clue what you've got.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From what I see he has the 09 48v battery with intergrated sine wave 20a controller, same as you have D8ve.
2 choices as I see it
1. Cut and solder the two pairs of connecting leads together and heat shrink the joint to waterproof (this option doesn't allow you to disconnect at all).
2. As above cut both leads refit new waterproof bullets and wrap in the spiral tidy you can get to hide the wires.

I have the 36v version 09 battery without controller as my BBS has an intergrated one I have cut my leads and am going to join them with new connectors and hide them in the empty space in the base unit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

He said he has the round bottle battety, not the flat one. That's completely different.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe he is confused. In post 4 he links a pic of 09 battery and says he has 20a int controller and in post 6 he agrees with you when you ask if its around bottle battery :confused:.

D

Deleted member 4366

So you have three moulded connectors hanging out the bottom: One for the motor, one for the PAS and one for the display. Normally, you can tuck them in neatly. Is it the surplus wire from the motor and display that's the problem?

I always cut the motor extension lead and re-join it exactly the right length. If the motor has a long wire with the bullet connectors and white block hall connector, I cut it about a foot from the motor and join it to half of the motor extension wire.

If you need to lose some of the display wire, you can loop it back and zip-tie it to the slot at the upper end of the battery receiver. The wire is then tucked up against your frame where you can't see it.