Advice re up to £1K bike please. Folder or Normal ok.

Earn

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Hi I live near Perth and have always enjoyed cycling. I walk my dogs about 6 miles a day so reasonable fit, but eat a lot so also quite fat. I am 51, 5ft 4in with very short legs. I sound a picture don't I :). So planning to use my e bike to go to Tesco for a few things, travel to run my maths (Kumon) classe in Perth, visit friends and go for longer cycles with my very fit cyclist husband, who think 60K is a breeze. I probably wouldn't go on the longer ones, but would be nice to pop out in the evening for a cycle with him without being put off by his speed and ability to tank up hills.

I am buying through the cycle to work scheme, and for work that means in September, limited to 1K and through Halfords. My understanding is that Halfords will get any bike, not just the ones they sell. I am toying with a folderas it would be nice to chuck it in the car and really like a Volt bike I tried but it is a bit over £1K so not a gooer. Also liked the look and sounds of the FreeGo folder but with the bigger battery it is £45 over £iK!!!! My understanding is that this is no negotiable in our scheme. I had also read here that the bogger battery could make the seat too high for short asses, but can't find any info on that. The Halford's sold Ebco 30 looks like and OK option if not a folder and the Koyote folder didn't look too bad either.

I have almost lost the will to live, trying to decide which bike to go for and would love a little help please. Any less than £1K bike will be given consideration. I tried a F4W bike and although the bike was ok only being able to go up the assist range and not down was a complete pain, so I suppose it would be good to try each bike. Trouble is not much chance of that in Perth.

Earn

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Just had a shot on a friend's pro-rider wayfarer and it was ok apart from the gearing when on the flat. What would I need to look for in the specs to make sure that wasn't the case. I want to be able to make decent progress on the flat unassisted, and that was impossible on the Pro-rider.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Just had a shot on a friend's pro-rider wayfarer and it was ok apart from the gearing when on the flat. What would I need to look for in the specs to make sure that wasn't the case. I want to be able to make decent progress on the flat unassisted, and that was impossible on the Pro-rider.
How many gear did that bike have?

Earn

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
7-Speed Shimano (Tourney) Gear System. It was dreadful. I would ike a bike that I can cycle unaided when I can and my legs were going ten to the dozen and I couldn't get it above 14 mph. I never left 7th gear. Imagine if I needed 1st I would be using assist to they just seem to be set wrongly. This is the only thing my friend doesn't like about the bike. To be honest I have tried a few bikes at shops and as the new things is the electric bit, I had never thought about seeing how it went without it. I will know to do that now, but not sure if any will be much better.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
7-Speed Shimano (Tourney) Gear System. It was dreadful. I would ike a bike that I can cycle unaided when I can and my legs were going ten to the dozen and I couldn't get it above 14 mph. I never left 7th gear. Imagine if I needed 1st I would be using assist to they just seem to be set wrongly. This is the only thing my friend doesn't like about the bike. To be honest I have tried a few bikes at shops and as the new things is the electric bit, I had never thought about seeing how it went without it. I will know to do that now, but not sure if any will be much better.
Both of my ebikes are geared for much higher speeds than 15mph. Pedaling them above the cut out speed isn't too hard. They both have full size wheels which probably help though. I've never been on a 20" wheeled folder so I don't know if they're all like that.

What it does show though, is that you need to try a bike before you buy one.

There's an electric bike shop in Dundee
http://www.electricbikesscotland.co.uk/index.html

and one in Linlithgow.
http://www.easygoebikes.com/
You could try them and see how you get on.

Earn

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Thanks. I have tried a few in Edinburgh, but first chop was trying to sell me bikes around 2.5K Giant I think. Then tried a really nice Volt Metro in Corstorphine, but too expensive for the cycle to work scheme. It had loads of power though. Then tried A2B and F4W in a shop at Toll Cross. Liked the A2B but too expensive again and the F4W had a terrible controller. Also tried an Ebco 30UCL at Edinburgh Bike Coop, but it seemed really heavy and no hills in the meadows to try for power.. Battery life is not great either I think. I would like to try the Freego Wren and Kudos Tempo if I could. Think the Bike shop in Dundee has Freego, so might give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Ah Perth! What a happy memory! And I have a dear friend in Dundee, he is Greek, go figure...

Back to bikes, can't you pay the £45 extra for the bike you like from your pocket? I mean I am a card holding member of "the working poor" and broke my piggy bank to have a means of transportation for petes sake... if you see what I mean?

Earn

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
I would love to do that but I think the rules won't let me. Seemingly there are a few different government approved schemes and my work's one doesn't allow top up. Maybe with a small retailer something could be worked out but with Halfords, who I must buy through, that is unlikely. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Josh Trees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 17, 2015
Berwickshire TD14
Hi Earn. I sympathise with your dilemma, it's all new models, different systems, new legislation and very little data on which to make an informed decision. I will make a comment on your interest in folding bikes, Without an electric motor, they require quite a lot of effort, hence they are most improved as e-bikes, with a comfortable sitting up cycling position, as you say perfect for throwing into the car and experiencing the sublime, but hilly Scottish countryside. My first e-bike was a folding model and I still love it's versatility. I ride in the Scottish Borders, was in Comrie, and if you get half of the joy e-biking has given me it's worth the initial cognative dissonance. Good luck, E-biking it's smiles better. J

D

Deleted member 4366

That's very easy to fix. The problem is the 14T top gear on the freewheel. You fix it by changing it to a DNP freewheel with 11T top gear. I have these freewheels, the cheapest you'll find them. If anybody wants one, send me a message.