Help! Advice with converting new Giant Talon 3

DapperGent

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2019
Hello all,
I live in the northern US and plan to convert a Giant Talon 3 with hydraulic disc brakes and 27.5" wheels. So far what I (think) I know is that I will want a rear geared hub motor with throttle and PAS both installed. I saw another post demonstrating how to cut motor power with magnet sensors attatched to the brakes, so I presume I will need those sensors along with the kit.

Now, where I need some assistance is in the motor power output and battery power. I am somewhat overwhelmed here as I am not terribly knowledgeable in the area of electrical mechanics. I intend to use this setup to climb some relatively long and sometimes steep hills in town during the brutal winter months in northern Minnesota. That means snow, ice, wind, and darkness! I weigh around 150lbs and will need to be able to haul up to 75lbs in panniers and a backpack, not including the battery and motor.

Any insight that could be provided as to what combination of motor and battery including brands would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There might be some nice kits in USA. You have to ask locally about them.

If you want to make a nice conversion, the 328 rpm 48v Q128C motor from BMSbattery.com; the 17 amp sine wave controller along with the LCD, PAS, and throttle from PSWPower.com; and a 48v Dolphin battery that must be rated at 25 amps from wherever you want.

That gives plenty of assistance, but is light enough not to change the characteristics of your bike. Top speed will be about 24 mph, or you can set it lower if you want. there's no need for brake sensors with that controller because it has a fast response to PAS, but you can fit one for safety if you want.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Check your state ebike regulations first as some states allow motors up to 750 watts and some up to 1Kw.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
328rpm for climbing vfr with a heavy load ?
Surely the lower wound 201 actually 260rpm is advisable.
He's only 100kg all-up. A Q128 at 48v can easily cope with that. My bike has often been loaded more than that when dealing with very steep hills.

If OP is not bothered about speed, the lower speed motor will always be better, but the 201 rpm maxes out at 18 mph when the batteries full. That'll go down to 15mph when the battery's run down a bit. If it's just for hauling and low speed is no problem, I agree that the 201 rpm will be better.