Advise please.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
I am still looking for an eBike after being steered clear of a Kalkhoff S class. I appreciated the build quality of this manufacturer. I have stumbled across a Kalkhoff Pro Connect Alfine Nexus. New 24v 12Ah fitted 4 days ago with 12 months warranty left. Panasonic crank mounted motor. Side pull calipers. Google search would suggest this is circa 2008 model.
I weigh around 73kgs. My major reason for purchasing an eBike is to commute the 6 mile return journey to my golf club 3 or 4 times a week. There is an uphill section, probably 600 yards, that despite being 65 years old I manage on my Specalized Stumpjumper but would prefer not to arrive a the golf club needing a shower before playing.
The asking price for the Kalkhoff is just under £600 including suspension seat post and luggage bag.
Do you , more experienced eBikers , think this would meet my needs ?
Thanks

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just about any normal electric bike would meet your needs, including that one. They were great in 2008, but a bit weak by modern standards.

Reactions: Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Why not do a conversion on your stumpjumper ? for 500 quidish ...
Stumpjumper very old(like me) and has a welded rear sub frame following an off last year ( I really should know better at my age than to race down fire tracks) Research has indicated crank mounted option to be the best. Whilst I say an EBike is for the short journey back and forth to the golf club I do tend to get carried away once I start cycling. There's some nice new cycle paths along side the new tram line leading to a 4 mile circular off road section. I know the Kalkhoff is not designed for off roading but the cycle path goes on for another 8 miles. Last time I left the golf club on my Stumpjumper I went home this way and 1.5 miles turned into 11 happy miles. I considered converting the Stumpjumper but I get sentimental over her. Besides there is enough room in my garage for another bike and that's always a good excuse to increase your collection. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reactions: jeff St.Clair

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
Hi Muddyfox

Reading through your requirements, I can't help thinking that you would be well served by the same bike as I have:

I've had mine several months now, and it's pretty much become my go-to bicycle, especialy when I'm feeling a bit lazy but know that I should cycle.

I really must do a proper review on here of mine. It's not the most fashionable, but it would meet your needs, all while providing a whole lot of fun on a budget.

All the best in your search.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Hi Muddyfox

Reading through your requirements, I can't help thinking that you would be well served by the same bike as I have:

I've had mine several months now, and it's pretty much become my go-to bicycle, especialy when I'm feeling a bit lazy but know that I should cycle.

I really must do a proper review on here of mine. It's not the most fashionable, but it would meet your needs, all while providing a whole lot of fun on a budget.

All the best in your search.
Thanks for the link. I intend visiting several bike shops over the weekend so will add this bike to my "must ask about" list. Cheers.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
It would fall under most folks' radar as they start to educate themselves about e-bikes, simply because on paper it's kind of ... well ... rubbish!

In reality though, it's great. 35Nm trque from the front wheel motor, simple, basic cycle parts that work, and a frame/fork combination that is specifically designed as an e-bike.

The wheels are superbly built, and it's not too heavy either.

There are various ways to ge a 10% discount from Halfords that brings it down to below £500.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Well after a lot of time spent visiting bicycle shops, chasing eBay adverts and scouring Gumtree nationwide a chance remark made in the golf club bar lead to me purchasing a Scott Sub E Speed from the cousin of a friend's friend. Collecting it Friday after it has been serviced. Photos and review to follow.