Agattu Endurance II

LazyViking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2009
UPDATE:

My Agattu i snow coming to the end of it's third winter season, and I will be glad if it is still running at Easter.

The bike has managed 5000 miles and estimated costs are now £2500. That's 50p per mile.

Cause of death: a lot of play in the motor sprocket. Perhaps I will have a go at replacing the motor bearings but this looks like a difficult job.

I have a new Tasman in the shed and will start using it when the winter is over.

Agattu summary:

Faults when new:
* chain tensioner not working. Spring was pinched between bolt and motor block by dealer.

Problems during first year:
* motor assembly wobbled from side to side. Solved by tightning bolts to frame.
* chain guard broke.
* chain broke at ca. 2330 miles.
* during winter brake blocks need regular replacements.
* hydraulic brake leak (Magura brakes fitted by dealer).
* battery begins to show signs of age.
* salt corroded copper strips in rear mudguard causing rear light failure. Replaced with two core cable direct to rear light.
* stand broke twice. Eventually replaced with solid stand.

Problems during year two:
* battery terminals corroded by salt causing power failure. Solved by scraping away corrosion. Battery display on handlebars incorrect now.
* spokes are starting to "pull through" rim on back wheel. Salt damage.
* brakes rubbing rims when not applied. Salt has corroded slave cylinders so they do not return to rest position.
* rust on shock absorber and luggage carrier parts (not stainless).
* chain broke again at ca. 3340 miles. Only lasted 1000 miles.
* rear light is eating batteries.

Problems during year three:
* new rear rim required
* play in motor sprocket
* shock absorbers (front, seat post) seized up

As regards the quality of Kalkhoff bikes, I can mention that I bought a mountain bike for £800 a few years back. It didn't even manage 1000 miles. The Kalkhoff bikes are great. My original battery still works ok too!

Thanks for all the support I've received from the forum.

Regards,
--Lazyviking

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Sorry to hear of the death of your Agattu. The motor sprocket fault sounds very worrying. I have just checked mine and all seems to be ok.

In contrast, my Pro Connect, which is probably of similar age to your Agattu is, mechanically, still going strong. It has done well over 7000 miles now, still on the original chain and sprockets. The motor is still virtually silent too. I fitted Magura HS33 brakes because constantly changing brake blocks was a pain. I have had the Maguras on for about 18 months now and never had a fault.

I do tend to keep my bike clean though, particularly in winter. I have a couple of garden sprayers filled with clean water (one at work and one at home). If it has rained or there is salt on the road, I spend 30 seconds washing the salt / dirt of the wheels, brakes and chain at each end of my journey. Periodically, I wash the whole bike with very mild soapy water and wipe it down with GT85 on a cloth. The bike still looks like new. Dirt and grit is a real killer.

Can't say that I am impressed by the battery though, but that has been talked to death already.

Last edited: