Agattu Light Failure. What to look for?

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi All,

The rear lights failed on my Agattu (front one still works). I tried taking it apart to check the bulb, but the bulb seems to be welded into the circuit board so i'm nervous about pulling it out.

Anyone any experiecne with these lights and could point out what to look for and how to take it apart?

Cheers

PS Do you know i had to open 4 screws (2 with hex heads and 2 different sized philips ones). Not a repair i'd have liked to do by the road.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Have you checked the wiring to the light as it takes a tortuous route through the rear mudguard with several connectors that could have come adrift?

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
So there were 2 wires that connect to the mudguard from the light. They were intact.

Then i guess the current runs thru the mudguard. I couldnt work out how the mudguard to frame connection works

Then theres some wires from the dynamo to the frame that seem ok.

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
Local Bike Shop Repair?

Presumeably your bike is still under guarantee?
Ring 50cycles and arrange for a local repair.

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Has anyone found the answer to this problem in the intervening years? We have exactly the same problem, the front light works but not the rear. The wiring looks intact and we have changed the batteries in the light so have assumed it must be the bulb but cannot work out how to get it out. We've taken out 5 screws so far but still no joy.

Definitely a "how many people does it take to change a light bulb" moment :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Has anyone found the answer to this problem in the intervening years? We have exactly the same problem, the front light works but not the rear. The wiring looks intact and we have changed the batteries in the light so have assumed it must be the bulb but cannot work out how to get it out. We've taken out 5 screws so far but still no joy.

Definitely a "how many people does it take to change a light bulb" moment :)

If I remember correctly, the rear light on the Agattu of that era was LED, so it probably forms part of the circuit board. It might be time to treat yourself to a new light.

Something like this:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-toplight-line-plus-back-light/aid:378502?gclid=CjwKEAjw1MSvBRDj2IyP-o7PygsSJAC_6zodikpPCiLyVgJfxkd_azktl9ZMXl4Oxvmc5p1ggL3h1BoCdPvw_wcB

It is a dynamo on the Agattu isn't it?

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
If I remember correctly, the rear light on the Agattu of that era was LED, so it probably forms part of the circuit board. It might be time to treat yourself to a new light.

Something like this:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-toplight-line-plus-back-light/aid:378502?gclid=CjwKEAjw1MSvBRDj2IyP-o7PygsSJAC_6zodikpPCiLyVgJfxkd_azktl9ZMXl4Oxvmc5p1ggL3h1BoCdPvw_wcB

It is a dynamo on the Agattu isn't it?
Thanks for the reply. The front light is certainly a dynamo and the back light has wires going to it from the front light so we are assuming it is powered by the dynamo as well, but it also has batteries which we don't know what they are for - whether they are just "belt and braces" or to power the standlight. There is a small led light at the side which did light up when we were checking continuity of the bulb on the back of the circuit board.

Quite surpised the bulb would be LED that long ago, it is quite a big bulb, it looks more like a halogen, the front light is marked as halogen. So far both the bulb and the wire through the frame have failed a continuity test. Tomorrow we will try bypassing the wire through the frame.

Your suggestion of replacing the light may turn out to be the best solution. The bike is up for sale and we were just trying to ensure that everything was in working order, but if it is going to be very complicated we will change the rear light for a battery operated one.

Thanks again for your help.

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Well, after a lot more dismantling than the result was really worth, the light is now working :) It appears to have been a bad connection on the rivets joining the wires to the copper strips inside the rear mudguard, a good clean with some electrical contact cleaner and it is now fine. Still, nice to be able to say that the bike is in perfect working order, not bad for a bike of this age.

You were quite correct Tillson, the main bulb is an LED with a couple of tiny LEDs a each side, thanks for your help.

Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I may have an Agattu rear light in my box of bits (can't promise until I have a look). If you have any more trouble, let me know and I'll send it to you. I don't want anything for it.

Reactions: Tintaglia

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Thanks, that is a very nice offer. It is still working today and the bike has sold to the first person who tried it. Wish we could have kept it as it was a really nice bike but it was just too big for us. Looking out for a reasonsably priced small frame one now :)