Agattu vs. Pro Connect - HELP!!

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Hi
have had my Agattu three days now. When it first came & I unpacked it was struck how NEW it looked, really pleased like Flecc's report, first ride was 22 km to Rame head, which is not exactly Mountain territory, ( but goes from sea level to 350 ft twice and back again)but far beyond my capability at 70+(just) came home really pleased.but battery finished at 24K.
Next day managed 30k on the battery not so fierce a ride came home again happy.
Third day looked at the Bloody bike hated it..looks like the sort of bike a Dutch granny rides along the canal. Bloody sit up and beg bars, armchair saddle, hub dynamo..for lords sake, will have to adapt my carrier on the Motor home to carry the ton and a half it weighs. Had a real bust up with Jenny (my partner) when she asked me to cut up the cardboard case..was going to sell it on Ebay. Got out my Ridgeback..(mountain no forks razor saddle lots of alloy and 24 gears weighs 9 Kilos)((havent ridden it in Cornwall for thre years) cycled off in a huff.
" miles later, turned round and came back, now I know why I haven't ridden in Cornwall.
Took the lovely BLACK COMFORTABLE bike to LOOE and back pedaling pretty hard but did 44Km on one battery, up hills I would not have managed in my prime, this creature has given me back the countryside, can stop where you like, go down lanes to see. It amazing how the view changes when you are not putting in MAX effort and you are sitting upright.
Next day

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Ps sorry about this forgot to answer the thread..have a step through. They are right, it doesn't flex at all, and is a real asset if you have full big panniers full of shopping.
Also looking at the pro it's a bit of an oxymoron a road cred bike (with a battery) uhuh.
I believe 50 cycles have the step thro in stock (they did last week.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Ps sorry about this forgot to answer the thread..have a step through. They are right, it doesn't flex at all, and is a real asset if you have full big panniers full of shopping.
Also looking at the pro it's a bit of an oxymoron a road cred bike (with a battery) uhuh.
I believe 50 cycles have the step thro in stock (they did last week.

I agree. It is not significantly lighter and the only thing of value is the 8 speed hub and that may only be for reliability (does anybody know if it is the premium version or is it just standard). It would make more sense if it was the same price, but I wouldn't pay any more for it as for sure, it doesn't cost any more to build.

Lordylordy

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Wimbledon. London
OK - so apart from the gay handlebars :rolleyes: - which can be changed - the missing gear (and gear issues) and the couple of kilos in weight, there is very little difference between the Agattu and the ProTec?

When I compare the two together in this picture though, is that the motor on the front wheel of the Agattu? If it is, I've read somewhere that it would be fairly easy to pinch?

Looking at the two bikes though, I must be honest, the Agattu does look a bit more comfortable. And although I'm only 47 - only?? - I like my ride to be as comfy as possible!!

With no indication whatsoever from 50cycles on the arrival of the ProTec, looks like the Agattu is my only option?

Attachments

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
OK - so apart from the gay handlebars :rolleyes: - which can be changed - the missing gear (and gear issues) and the couple of kilos in weight, there is very little difference between the Agattu and the ProTec?

When I compare the two together in this picture though, is that the motor on the front wheel of the Agattu? If it is, I've read somewhere that it would be fairly easy to pinch?

Looking at the two bikes though, I must be honest, the Agattu does look a bit more comfortable. And although I'm only 47 - only?? - I like my ride to be as comfy as possible!!

With no indication whatsoever from 50cycles on the arrival of the ProTec, looks like the Agattu is my only option?
Not a motor on the front wheel, it is the dynamo - you don't get that on the Pro-connect so consider it a freebie on the Agattu. Pictures are slightly difficult to judge as I suspect that the Pro-connect is the 53cm version and I know that the Agattu is 49cm.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I've been commuting up very steep hills (about 6 miles round trip) for over a month now and the Agattu is brilliant. (see my previous threads) No gearing problems on 6 and 7 though I need to adjust the cable (as the gears are rattling slightly uphill) and haven't worked out yet how to do it. Apparently it takes a wee while for the gear spec to settle down and does require minor tweaking. I think for the extra money is in the weight. I find the Agattu a bit heavy and I struggle up a steep flight of steps to my house every day. But I'm not sure an extra £300 or so is worth the loss of 3 or 4 kilos. I would say the Agattu is suited to road and commuting. The continental tyres may not take of road paths. A few Agattu owners have switched to Marathon pluses (not sure what's on the Pro) . Also worth noting that steep hills are no push over (ho) and require quite a bit of effort to climb. So, overall, if you are concerned about weight .. go for the pro. If not stick with the Agattu. It is an awsome (slightly heavy.. tank- like ) , peice of kit.
bw
musicbooks

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I've been commuting up very steep hills (about 6 miles round trip) for over a month now and the Agattu is brilliant. (see my previous threads) No gearing problems on 6 and 7 though I need to adjust the cable (as the gears are rattling slightly uphill) and haven't worked out yet how to do it. Apparently it takes a wee while for the gear spec to settle down and does require minor tweaking. I think for the extra money is in the weight. I find the Agattu a bit heavy and I struggle up a steep flight of steps to my house every day. But I'm not sure an extra £300 or so is worth the loss of 3 or 4 kilos. I would say the Agattu is suited to road and commuting. The continental tyres may not take of road paths. A few Agattu owners have switched to Marathon pluses (not sure what's on the Pro) . Also worth noting that steep hills are no push over (ho) and require quite a bit of effort to climb. So, overall, if you are concerned about weight .. go for the pro. If not stick with the Agattu. It is an awsome (slightly heavy.. tank- like ) , peice of kit.
bw
musicbooks
Sorry a bit off course with the thread here.
Ive currently been asking 50cycles about fitting me some Armadillo tyres.
Does anyone know about these tyres.
They get good reviews.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/2192/3216/specialized-armadillo-tyres-cycling-puncture.phtml

Specialized Turbo Armadillo Tyre Reviews - Product Reviews - RoadCyclingUK

Specialized Nimbus Armadillo Review | BikeRadar.com

Last edited:

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Sorry a bit off course with the thread here.
Ive currently been asking 50cycles about fitting me some Armadillo tyres.
Does anyone know about these tyres.
They get good reviews.

All I know about armadillos is They are soft on the inside, hard on the outside:D

bw
musicbooks

Lordylordy

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Wimbledon. London
Not a motor on the front wheel, it is the dynamo - you don't get that on the Pro-connect so consider it a freebie on the Agattu. Pictures are slightly difficult to judge as I suspect that the Pro-connect is the 53cm version and I know that the Agattu is 49cm.
You can tell I'm new at all this, can't you Harry!! :(
So, what does the dynamo do if the ProTec doesn't have one? :confused:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
It powers the battery free front light, a Busch and Muller one I think.

John

rock_hopper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2007
As a comparison I can confirm that the Pro Connect lights run straight off the battery. You can have them switched on even if you don't want to switch on the pedal assist mode.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
My 57cm Agattu arrived today and ive uploaded a picure here. the mudguard is different to the 45 too and is a funky carbon look

Regards
Paul

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
My 57cm Agattu arrived today and ive uploaded a picure here. the mudguard is different to the 45 too and is a funky carbon look

Regards
Paul
Well it look very nice.
Much better than the 50cycles photo.
It does it more justice in the larger photo.
Have you ridden it yet?
Oh and have you had the 18 tooth fitted?

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Well it look very nice.
Much better than the 50cycles photo.
It does it more justice in the larger photo.
Have you ridden it yet?
Oh and have you had the 18 tooth fitted?
hope to have a little spin shortly but i'm full of cold and don't really have any energy left ! Yes ive had an 18 tooth sprocket fitted.

Regards
Paul

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Let me know how you get the skirts off - without cutting them off that is.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
hope to have a little spin shortly but i'm full of cold and don't really have any energy left ! Yes ive had an 18 tooth sprocket fitted.

Regards
Paul
Drink a pint of glucosade. Take 2 paracetamols.
Get out on the thing and give us a review ASAP.
Im very interested to hear if the 18tooth mod is worth it.

PS Anyone noticed there are a few more photos on the Tour de Presteigne site.

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
nice skirt, shame about the rip in it now

Skirt guard and bars will be gone by Monday!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

skirt guard yes..:) ..after all if dont matter if you get your skirt caught in it...:rolleyes: ...

but no bars..:eek: ...gonna be a very difficult thing to steer isnt it..you a circus act ? :)

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Hi
cycled off in a huff.
" miles later, turned round and came back, now I know why I haven't ridden in Cornwall.
Took the lovely BLACK COMFORTABLE bike to LOOE and back pedaling pretty hard but did 44Km on one battery, up hills I would not have managed in my prime, this creature has given me back the countryside
Great post, made me roll up laughing.:D