AKM100CST cassette size

jusmat01

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2021
If I purchased a AKM100CST from topbikekit, there are options for different cassette sizes, which confuses me ( as when I change my cassette on my Turbo, I just use a little spacer ring to make it fit).
Is this different for these motor axles? Can I use a 9sp motor kit on my 9sp bike, and move it to a 7sp bike later or do I need a new fitting?

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cassettes are made to suit the chains they use so 7/8sp , 9sp & 10sp all use a different size chain. Each cassette will have different spacings and cog thickness to suit the chain. They all fit on a universal freehub and rely on the stack height being much the same.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The pitch, cog spacing, on most 'Shimano' cassettes is 5mm for 7/8 speed, 4.35mm for 9 speed and 3.95mm for 10 speed.

Campag stuff is different.

jusmat01

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2021
The pitch, cog spacing, on most 'Shimano' cassettes is 5mm for 7/8 speed, 4.35mm for 9 speed and 3.95mm for 10 speed.

Campag stuff is different.
Thanks, but my question was more about the Aikema cassette hub.

I might be getting confused. The option says Freewheel :9 speed (+$10). Does that mean they are actually supplying a 9 speed cassette for $10, or the motor accepts a 9 speed cassette? I might have just answered my own question. Its a whole (cheap unbranded) cassette.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

I might have just answered my own question. Its a whole (cheap unbranded) cassette.
Yes , it will be a no name China branded one.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have one of those cassettes. The indexing doesn't quite match a Shimano shifter, so you might be better off getting a cassette that matches your derailleur/shifter.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

I might be getting confused. The option says Freewheel :9 speed (+$10). Does that mean they are actually supplying a 9 speed cassette for $10, or the motor accepts a 9 speed cassette? I might have just answered my own question. Its a whole (cheap unbranded) cassette.
If it says freewheel, it is not a cassette?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor is for cassette, the Chinese get the explanation wrong.

They confuse things by calling a freehub a freewheel hub and a cassette a freewheel cassette.

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: dwvl and MontyPAS